• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A discussion regarding shipping and box markings.
2 2

7 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2023 at 1:02 PM, LordRahl said:

There were a number of thefts of CGC boxes that were being shipped FedEx back to submitters. I never got the full details but it appeared to affect either solely California or mostly CA as CGC just stopped using FedEx in CA completely. The prevailing theory was insider FedEx employees but I'm not sure anyone knows for sure as I don't know if the thieves were caught.

I'm dovetailing this discussion from an old post which I copied and pasted above.

I was unable to discuss this a few months ago because I was banned but I actually have had the discussion with CGC management, a few auction houses and dealers and some collector friends and I think it's a discuss worth having because I think there are some implications that need to be addressed. 

CGC has asked submitters to mark boxes so that they can be opened in a timely manner.

We now KNOW that theft is happening in shipping warehouses across the country as times get tougher. I know SEVERAL boardies who have had things stolen never to be found again. 

The problem with marking boxes externally is that it makes them stand out like a sore thumb in a pile of unmarked boxes. Worse, if someone is able to decipher the markings it makes them even more susceptible to scrutiny and theft. 

Just imagine being an unscrupulous person walking through a massive warehouse and seeing some boxes stick out from the rest. :eek:

The markings are required because CGC can't open the boxes in a timely manner but the box markings designed to help CGC prioritize the boxes is increasing their susceptibility to theft.

The real solution would be to get shipping times back on time so that boxes can be shipped unmarked. 

Does anyone disagree? Am I being paranoid and overthinking it?

Discuss. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/24/2023 at 7:40 PM, VintageComics said:

The real solution would be to get shipping times back on time so that boxes can be shipped unmarked. 

I suppose that's a more realistic solution than people not stealing stuff anymore. Just imagine...

If  CGC used a different address (somehow) for expedited packages, you wouldn't have to mark them at all. They would be self-sorted. Only the expedited orders would show up at that alternative address.

Urgent packages must make up a very small % of the total. They already use 2 different addresses depending on the carrier. 

Of course, people will want to send their standard package to the urgent address. But if they do, the package would get an additional 2 week detour as the penalty for cheating.:flamethrower:

On 10/24/2023 at 8:30 PM, Lightning55 said:

If  CGC used a different address (somehow) for expedited packages, you wouldn't have to mark them at all. They would be self-sorted. Only the expedited orders would show up at that alternative address.

Urgent packages must make up a very small % of the total. They already use 2 different addresses depending on the carrier. 

Of course, people will want to send their standard package to the urgent address. But if they do, the package would get an additional 2 week detour as the penalty for cheating.:flamethrower:

That's actually a good idea. Don't they require their customers to get a PO box in order to use USPS? Kind of similar.

On 10/24/2023 at 8:30 PM, Lightning55 said:

THAT was actually the idea that I proposed to Matt and Harshen. They weren't very keen on the idea but I agree that I think it's a GREAT solution. 

CGC did have some growing pains over the pandemic, that I know and I will say that my books have been making it to invoicing much quicker since the summer (usually within 2-3 days rather than 1-2 weeks to open a package) and Matt assured me that opening packages in a timely manner is a high priority but that was back in July in SD and we're now 3 months out and I still have the same concerns about theft in warehouses.