• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panel or Splash?

37 posts in this topic

I only own two pieces of original comic art (and I bought those 15-20 years ago so I've been out of the loop), but I've been a bit surprised in looking at recent prices at how much more expensive covers and splashes are than interior panel pages. I know that covers and splashes always cost more, but the percentage increase seems to have grown. I also understand the usual argument about covers and splashes being less numerous (obviously) than interior pages.

And yet, despite acknowledging the importance, rarity, and often overwhelming beauty of a striking cover or splash, I've always prefered panal pages myself. They seem more representative of the comic book form rather than of illustration in general. Since the storytelling aspect of comic books is so important, I was wondering why so many people place such a higher value on covers/splashes rather than a good sequential page? Does scarcity trump aesthetics or do people just prefer "pin-ups" to more sequential storytelling art?

Just wonderin'

Ray

There are other choices- double page splashes, double or more page sequences, and complete stories. These can be as rare as covers or moreso depending on the time period and the artists. Personally, I like them all. Sometimes a single panel page just doesn't sum up the artistry of the comic, but putting two together or seeing the whole story complete in original art form can be illuminating! Dan

I think in part it depends on your collecting goals/reasons.

I like a dynamic splash or cover I can display that causes (non comic enthusiast) friends/relatives to stop and take a second look. In this way I'm sharing it with them and can pooint to it and say, "Isn't that just 893censored-thumb.gifing awesome? Some guy/gal took a blank piece of paper and a pen and made that! !" Thats the part I share.

The other part is mostly for my enjoyment. I love having a sequence of pages that make up a small chapter in the greater storyline (the first 7 pages of LUCIFER 14 for example). And I'd guess 95% of my Preacher pages are "nothing" panel pages, but I love them and enjoy the little snipet of story they display.

893blahblah.gifgrin.gif893blahblah.gif

(i love talking art)

I'm a panel page guy myself. Being an artist myself, I can appreciate the talent it takes to create sequential storytelling and have it be drawn well. I love lettering on my pages as well because it's a part of the comic where I feel it's a small bonus. I get the penciller, the inker, the writer and the letterer all laying their touch on this one of a kind page that nobody else has.

I actually have an Iron Man cover that I only bought as potential trade value for some interior pages at some point. I also think interior pages are the best value for the money. I'd rather have multiple interior panel pages over a single cover or a splash.

That's how I feel and the great thing about this hobby is that there will be people that prefer covers. I feel that individual taste is what collecting original art embodies.

I like splashes and covers more, for the most part. I like that the images are larger, and for me, usually invoke more of a nostalgic feeling Also covers and splashes can be more iconic images, again usually, then panel pages. That being said, I own a ratio of panel pages to covers and splashes of about 3 to 1. So I very much enjoy panel art too.

And I'd guess 95% of my Preacher pages are "nothing" panel pages, but I love them and enjoy the little snipet of story they display.

I'd say that Preacher pages are the perfect example of why one might collect panel pages.

I'm still looking for a good one ...

And I'd guess 95% of my Preacher pages are "nothing" panel pages, but I love them and enjoy the little snipet of story they display.

I'd say that Preacher pages are the perfect example of why one might collect panel pages.

You and me both wink.gif

I just confirmed a deal for 18 pages from the Story of You-Know-Who gossip.gif

You and me both wink.gif

Hey - if you're not happy with the Preacher pages you have, I'm sure I could find one or two I'd be willing to take off your hands. They're not worth anything - just look at your sig - so I have an old boot and a trout in a box ready to ship to you in trade.

All I need is your mailing address.

This questions sometimes boils down to story vs. art. If you loved the book for the story, then panel pages are where it's at! Think Watchmen, or any story by Moore for that matter! Those are examples where the interiors are far more important than a splashy page of art.

Hey - if you're not happy with the Preacher pages you have, I'm sure I could find one or two I'd be willing to take off your hands. They're not worth anything - just look at your sig - so I have an old boot and a trout in a box ready to ship to you in trade.

My pages may be de-valued because of all those beady eyes looking at them on display when I should have them locked away confused.gif, but they are still priceless to me. The only worthless PREACHER pages are the ones I am trying to buy. Those pages are all pretty much useless. Nobody collects that stuff anymore and you should sell them to me cheap grin.gif

All I need is your mailing address.

Heck, if you live in 29palms Id drive them up there. I love the desert.

I agree on Preacher Pages. Also Steve Dillion Hellblazer Pages as well. There are times, when there is no dialogue and the panels speak for themselves.

Speaking of this, Has anyone seen any pages from the Marvel 'Nuff Said books? These were the books Marvel put out about 1-2yrs ago with no dialogue at all in the book

popcorn.gif