• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is A Man Called Nova a good read?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

On 10/28/2023 at 4:10 PM, Artboy99 said:

I bought it off the comic rack when I was a kid and I really liked it up to around the Spider-man crossover and after that it didn't grab me as much. I continued to buy it because I had the first group of books but I stopped before the run concluded.

I can understand that.  I got the Nova issue involved in the crossover, which was available in the UK as a 12p All-Colour Comic variant, but Spider-Man at the time wasn't distributed here, so I had to find ASM 171 as a more expensive 35c import a while later.  One of the first I ever bought as a kid. I ended up a bit disappointed because the 'murder mystery' resolution was atrocious. Shouldn't have bothered.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I was excited reading the first issue, but it went downhill rapidly.  The writer was from Long Island, and set the book in the town of Hempstead, but put skyscrapers in it.  Most of the bad guys sucked.  I think I quit it around issue 10 and didn't read the rest for twenty years.

On 10/30/2023 at 3:19 PM, shadroch said:

Most of the bad guys sucked. 

There was The Sphinx, though, the super-villain that Apocalypse could only dream of being.

On 10/30/2023 at 6:11 PM, shadroch said:

I liked the first issue and thought Nova would be the modern answer to Spiderman.  I think it was the best first issue of that era. 

Yup. It followed the same, obvious basic template.

On 10/30/2023 at 11:18 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. It followed the same, obvious basic template.

They are comics. There are only so many stories to be told, and recycling them after twelve years gets rid of a lot of baggage.

On 10/28/2023 at 7:35 AM, TRMN8R5 said:

I know, right :facepalm: ?  Those essentially pointless mailing sleeves were all but worthless :frustrated:!

I had a subscription also but the copies I got that way were after Marvel started mailing them flat. I guess I bought the first few off the rack and liked it enough to get a subscription. I am too old to remember now!  Still have them though. 1-25. Didn’t know or remember that the title continued and fantastic four. I’ll have to look and see if I have those FF issues. 

On 10/28/2023 at 11:58 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The initial Nova Corps mini series, the set up for Annihilation, was very good, and the main series started well with the introduction of Knowhere and Cosmo the Space Dog, but then it lost its way a bit by being included in one crossover event after another.

Worth a read, though.

Yeah, I dropped it after he hooked up with Warlock, which I thought was great to have him back in play again, and then it was another crossover. That was too much for me in such a short time. I was done with the title. A shame, as it had been producing good work when given the chance. I just stuck with Guardians Of The Galaxy, it was much more consistent, too small a book for anyone to care about. Funny looking back on it.