• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something doesn't add up.
1 1

49 posts in this topic

On 10/29/2023 at 8:44 AM, Antillia Island said:

Haha the world.

Where I live in Asia these books are cheep.  I mean when I show people, they can't believe I can get them under $100, they always say why do they so cheep in US, I shrug my shoulders. Ha I've already thought about selling people a token to books I own, but I just want to collect, and don't need more projects. Shipping sucks, like my mother is cooked, and has expressed more and more frustration with the stacks filling her house.

For example,  I would love to click every Wolverine to buy the whole run, it drop into my wallet and I sleep cozy.

Maybe tomorrow I wake up and sale it. IDK but that is the freedom of NFT collecting, part of the fun of collecting is also "trading" so it isn't practical to ship a book back and forth. Decentralized comic pricing, non-fungiable tokens, and comic vaults are the future in my opinion. Slabbing is part of that future, so yes I have already started a steady goal of 10 books a month going to the CGC. Call it silly but that is how I want to collect. 

Is this really Chris Severs' incognito. Hi Chris, I see you are still trying desperately to convince someone anyone that you are not wrong.

P.S. if you are not Chris my apologies.

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/29/2023 at 12:35 PM, MAR1979 said:

it is just me or do the some of the posts in this thread read like something akin to marketing pitch or phishing email or Chris Severs' trying desperately to convince someone anyone that he is not and has not been wrong on everything.

Since it's a Newbie thread I'm giving the benefit of the doubt.  I think is just someone new to comic collecting making assertions about how things should be, when he should be asking questions about why things are as they are.  In another thread the same OP made the assertion that inflation had not yet hit the collectibles industry.  That tells me that he's new and has no idea what happened in the industry from 2020-2022.  

Edited by Nick Furious

On 10/29/2023 at 1:35 PM, MAR1979 said:

Is this really Chris Severs' incognito. Hi Chris, still trying desperately to convince someone anyone that you are not wrong.
P.S. if you are not Chris my apologies.

On 10/29/2023 at 2:14 PM, Nick Furious said:

Since it's a Newbie thread I'm giving the benefit of the doubt.  I think is just someone new to comic collecting making assertions about how things should be, when he should be asking questions about why things are as they are.  In another thread the OP made the assertion that inflation had not yet hit the collectibles industry.  That tells me that he's new and has no idea what happened in the industry from 2020-2022.  

Makes sense. based on your comment I've updated my post in case it is really Chris and in case it is not

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/29/2023 at 8:44 AM, Antillia Island said:

Haha the world.

Where I live in Asia these books are cheep.  I mean when I show people, they can't believe I can get them under $100, they always say why do they so cheep in US, I shrug my shoulders. Ha I've already thought about selling people a token to books I own, but I just want to collect, and don't need more projects. Shipping sucks, like my mother is cooked, and has expressed more and more frustration with the stacks filling her house.

For example,  I would love to click every Wolverine to buy the whole run, it drop into my wallet and I sleep cozy.

Maybe tomorrow I wake up and sale it. IDK but that is the freedom of NFT collecting, part of the fun of collecting is also "trading" so it isn't practical to ship a book back and forth. Decentralized comic pricing, non-fungiable tokens, and comic vaults are the future in my opinion. Slabbing is part of that future, so yes I have already started a steady goal of 10 books a month going to the CGC. Call it silly but that is how I want to collect. 

What part of Asia do you live? I used to work all over the Asia-Pacific area for several years.

Have you sold anything to these people who tell you they value these books so high? What people say is vastly different from what people do when they have to hand over large sums of their money. You just bought one for $20 that you said is worth thousands. See what these folks are willing to pay you for it.

On 10/29/2023 at 11:35 AM, MAR1979 said:

Is this really Chris Severs' incognito. Hi Chris, I see you are still trying desperately to convince someone anyone that you are not wrong.

On 10/29/2023 at 1:29 PM, Vintage_Paper said:

Have you sold anything to these people who tell you they value these books so high? What people say is vastly different from what people do when they have to hand over large sums of their money. You just bought one for $20 that you said is worth thousands. See what these folks are willing to pay you for it.

This chap very much reminds me of that guy at the bar who has the BS factor of his area of preferred conversation nailed down to quite the performance. It's like 10% facts mixed with 90% fiction. Like a Dan Brown novel.

haha,

Have zero clue what you guys are talking about not entirely sure you do also. But, yes I'm an new collector. I'm mostly going off internal discord discussions with my friends in which we honestly wonder how the CGC prevent fakes. It appears an easy market to fake, we live next to China and they are really good at faking everything. We live in a world of hackers and fakes, we have to be careful ... haha even you all think I'm fake. 

I'm a cosmonaut, Cosmo (ATOM) coin developer, in short it's an alt-coin ""struggling .. :( yes I'll admit""  ... crypto ecosystem, but we have a lot passion, and we will build. I don't like to reveal my exact location because of other reasons, just a habit. I'm currently in Taiwan right now, I usually migrate Asia between Singapore, Taiwan and Japan. Been living here in Asia for almost 8 years now. Antillia Island is my new business venture that might encompass comics and publishing, it's small and fresh about a month old (you can .com it haha, but this isn't the area to develop marketing pitches. like less then a few dozen impressions) I'm just asking questions, testing the water temperature, getting a feel for the overall attitude of the people in the industry, (are they pro or con technology and development) plus I'm happy with my prizes and luck. 

I've never stepped foot in a comic shop or a comic con. I do think, that what turns off so many fresh young investors is lack of transparency in collecting. Like the stock market it feel like an old men in a room coming up with tricks and pitches to adjust prices. We need transparency and decentralization for it to be appealing, young investors are much more savvy. Ohh well, and yes I do think my $20 has Zindar the potential for get up to $2,000, in my mind it is priceless. I love it, it has a great story to tell (both in its pages and in its development), plus it inspired me to work on something "interesting." haha, my new project is feeding off Zindars inspiration so I will never sale it. Yes I'm weird. 

I always speak like I'm trying to sale something it is just my charisma, I just don't want you to think I'm this other guy, but anyway it is pointless, I won't bug you all. In my world the amount of FUDders is directly related to success. haha re-reading what I just wrote I'm pretty sure you all will think it's some fiction BS story. That oddly amusing to me, kind of nice to think that my life is like a fiction story. Thank you. 

On 10/29/2023 at 10:45 PM, Antillia Island said:

Have zero clue what you guys are talking about not entirely sure you do also. But, yes I'm an new collector. I'm mostly going off internal discord discussions with my friends in which we honestly wonder how the CGC prevent fakes. It appears an easy market to fake, we live next to China and they are really good at faking everything. We live in a world of hackers and fakes, we have to be careful ... haha even you all think I'm fake.

What currently keeps fakes at bay is the knowledgeable and active community knowing where/who/and when high dollar books were sold. You can spoof a single certification number but the book will look different and someone will know very quickly. I assume the only thing holding back the Chinese fakes in the mass market is the problem with accurate Cert#'s for common books ($100-$500) and the supply of cases/sonic welding machines. There are much easier and profitable things to knockoff instead of trying to create highly specialized fakes in a market that is quick to burn and lose your money. (I.E. no one is going to be purchasing CGC 8.5 X-Men #1 with the exact same cert# after the first one is discovered).

There are currently fake PSA/Beckett encapsulated Jordan rookies for sale; but they have the exact same problem (all have the same certification number) and even listed at $5 are not selling on Temu/whatnot and will not sell on the next hot chinese outlet site next year either. Someone went through a lot of trouble to accurately fake the encapsulation process but failed to understand the basic tracking method and might have broken even with the initial push to market. When instead they could have repackaged some spider-man toy knockoffs and very easily profited.

All in all the market is currently too specialized for mass market fakes and too knowledgeable for high dollar knockoffs.. but both could eventually change.

On 10/30/2023 at 12:15 PM, DougC said:

All in all the market is currently too specialized for mass market fakes and too knowledgeable for high dollar knockoffs.. but both could eventually change.

Thank you 🙏, You have very clear understand and responses.  Today we should identify it as a big potential problem, and start mitigating.

Vertcoin (VTC), a beautiful project coin that could have easily rivaled BTC, but the only crypto that got a 51 hack, they patched the problem but sadly it was too late and lost all consumer/investor trust. Can't even make it past a dime today.

I personally haven't held a CGC case as I only see photos of my stuff. But, I'm out here and everyone has the machines to do anything, the literal horrors I've seen just to scratch a penny profit. It isn't people don't see it as a mass market or profit is too slim. It's they are not aware of it is a target. 

But again thank you DougC, for the clear response.

I get tooo passionate about stuff, at times. :) 

On 10/29/2023 at 10:45 PM, Antillia Island said:

I've never stepped foot in a comic shop or a comic con. I do think, that what turns off so many fresh young investors is lack of transparency in collecting. Like the stock market it feel like an old men in a room coming up with tricks and pitches to adjust prices. We need transparency and decentralization for it to be appealing, young investors are much more savvy. Ohh well, and yes I do think my $20 has Zindar the potential for get up to $2,000, in my mind it is priceless.

@Antillia Islandif you are here to learn about the collectible comics market, then you are in the right place.  My 40 years of experience as buyer and sometimes seller seems short, and shallow compared to the depth of experience of some of the guys on this forum.  But you will learn more by asking the right questions than by making assertions.  Instead of saying we should expect fakes from China, you may want to ask why we aren't overly concerned with fakes from China.  Instead of saying that the industry needs to modernize in some bitcoin style NFT manner, you may want to ask why people think that will or won't happen.  Not saying that everyone here knows the future, but it might be useful for you to get perspective from guys who have been dealing in comics since the 70's and have been buying and selling online since the very start of the Internet age.  So far, you've presented a couple of purchases that seem reasonable enough and very low-risk at the prices you paid.  But you are also talking about pressing and slabbing 200 old comic books coming to you in a mystery box.  That's going to run thousands of dollars and people here could give you very valuable advice on that particular endeavor if you decide to present the books here.       

I understand. Not really trying to tell anyone how they should operate or collect. 

Let me tell you my perspective. I currently sit in a Starbucks Reserve (its an upscale Starbucks) surround by people my age with very expensive machines clicking away doing work somewhere around the globe. Most are like me, small furnished apartment for a couple months, hop/migrate around, because our tourist visa's expire at 90 days. We work remote and don't need "work permits" and the money is coming in from our versus endeavors. Stay amongst the safe Asia megacities, where we are comfortable using the bathroom with a $5k laptop on the table. Take the occasional adventure trip to developing countries. But that lifestyle doesn't mean we have to be devoid of "stuff" and not collect anything. I'm lucky for my mother was taking in my collection, but the piles of comics are bothering her, so I need to stop. Sad. If I want to sale the books, I have no method to sale them. I could remotely put them on E-bay but will still need someone to pack them up for shipping. I don't want to inconvenience my mother for such a task. Her packing comic for CGC is already enough. Yes CGC she is the one wrapping like 20 layers of bubble wrap around them

So in my dream world: I would like to collect comic books that are asset backed NFTs and drop in my wallet. They are stored in ... maybe GameStop Vaults were they could cheaply ship collectibles between physical local GameStop vaults. I ask to get the book "check it out" for a day, week or year, of course I have to give prior notice. But I can get it in China, Japan, US, or France wherever they have a local vault. When I'm done I return it to the vault, they verify it is org/correct. If I want to sale, I don't need to spend time writing an E-bay auction (even bother with shipping) I just click. Someone buys the comic and the ownership instantly transfers to the new owner, (into their phone wallet, that is how NFT's work already), the new owner could ask to ship it to their local vault or just keep it where it sits in the world. 

On the mystery box I looked at some photos of the books being sent, they are in amazing condition easy above 7.0 but maybe 9.0. I won't open the boxes for who knows how long, so I really can't tell. Yes, I want to press and send them to the CGC, (I don't understand the logic of not pressing them, I just wonder about old ones). When I do need to get my collection into a vault, I don't think comic vaults will accept loose books, I don't want to own them on some shelf at my mothers house or storage unit. I want them to feel like they are with me in my phone wallet. Most of the 40 years of experience is dealing in a market where people brought the book home and had a place to store them. 

Everyone should collect how they want. But, I could tell so many people don't have a clue that I'm talking about, haha, almost a polite mocking. But it is ok, I understand clearly. I might be dreaming about the future of asset collecting. There is dozens of people around me upon dozens of coffee shops full, I don't think anyone here has a place to store collectibles. But I see two Chanel bags and a lot of expensive computers so I believe there is disposable income amongst us. We are almost talking about two realities people that have a large amount (or any amount) of storage space for their collection and those that have none. I'm unsure if space settled perspective relates to a growing class of people that are migrational. In a posable futrue our collectible asset backed NFT storage could be a massive warehouse of physical stuff, yet we only carry a computer bag. Collecting not just "key" comics but whole runs is possible when storing the books is not a factor. it might change the whole dynamic, who knows time will tell.  

Edited by Antillia Island

On 10/31/2023 at 2:47 AM, Antillia Island said:

I understand. Not really trying to tell anyone how they should operate or collect. 

Let me tell you my perspective. I currently sit in a Starbucks Reserve (its an upscale Starbucks) surround by people my age with very expensive machines clicking away doing work somewhere around the globe. Most are like me, small furnished apartment for a couple months, hop/migrate around, because our tourist visa's expire at 90 days. We work remote and don't need "work permits" and the money is coming in from our versus endeavors. Stay amongst the safe Asia megacities, where we are comfortable using the bathroom with a $5k laptop on the table. Take the occasional adventure trip to developing countries. But that lifestyle doesn't mean we have to be devoid of "stuff" and not collect anything. I'm lucky for my mother was taking in my collection, but the piles of comics are bothering her, so I need to stop. Sad. If I want to sale the books, I have no method to sale them. I could remotely put them on E-bay but will still need someone to pack them up for shipping. I don't want to inconvenience my mother for such a task. Her packing comic for CGC is already enough. Yes CGC she is the one wrapping like 20 layers of bubble wrap around them

So in my dream world: I would like to collect comic books that are asset backed NFTs and drop in my wallet. They are stored in ... maybe GameStop Vaults were they could cheaply ship collectibles between physical local GameStop vaults. I ask to get the book "check it out" for a day, week or year, of course I have to give prior notice. But I can get it in China, Japan, US, or France wherever they have a local vault. When I'm done I return it to the vault, they verify it is org/correct. If I want to sale, I don't need to spend time writing an E-bay auction (even bother with shipping) I just click. Someone buys the comic and the ownership instantly transfers to the new owner, (into their phone wallet, that is how NFT's work already), the new owner could ask to ship it to their local vault or just keep it where it sits in the world. 

On the mystery box I looked at some photos of the books being sent, they are in amazing condition easy above 7.0 but maybe 9.0. I won't open the boxes for who knows how long, so I really can't tell. Yes, I want to press and send them to the CGC, (I don't understand the logic of not pressing them, I just wonder about old ones). When I do need to get my collection into a vault, I don't think comic vaults will accept loose books, I don't want to own them on some shelf at my mothers house or storage unit. I want them to feel like they are with me in my phone wallet. Most of the 40 years of experience is dealing in a market where people brought the book home and had a place to store them. 

Everyone should collect how they want. But, I could tell so many people don't have a clue that I'm talking about, haha, almost a polite mocking. But it is ok, I understand clearly. I might be dreaming about the future of asset collecting. There is dozens of people around me upon dozens of coffee shops full, I don't think anyone here has a place to store collectibles. But I see two Chanel bags and a lot of expensive computers so I believe there is disposable income amongst us. We are almost talking about two realities people that have a large amount (or any amount) of storage space for their collection and those that have none. I'm unsure if space settled perspective relates to a growing class of people that are migrational. In a posable futrue our collectible asset backed NFT storage could be a massive warehouse of physical stuff, yet we only carry a computer bag. Collecting not just "key" comics but whole runs is possible when storing the books is not a factor. it might change the whole dynamic, who knows time will tell.  

Serious and respectful question. 

If all you have is the digital asset in your phone,  what is the purpose of collecting? It's not there. You can't hold it,  see it,  admire the art or the Stan Lee signature obnoxiously scribbled across the front in sharpie. 

If this isn't abundantly obvious from my posts, I don't really understand NFTs or Bitcoin.  But comic collecting has always been about far more than the investment. It's looking at old Ads, smelling the paper, reading stories from 50 - 80 years ago. Without that physical connection I would lose all interest.  

As an aside, there are companies that do fractional ownership of collectibles where you can buy and sell shares of Action Comics 1 (for example).  

I never got interested for all the reasons above,  but it seems like a step closer to the digital future your describing. A big warehouse that holds the physical asset while buying and selling comics digitally. 

https://rallyrd.com/collections/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brand-search&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy4KqBhD0ARIsAEbCt6ivEzippvmAIb5fIs5-2qXN9u-skTEE150-_xDmZnpBM2oirzC6AE0aAnylEALw_wcB

(I'm not affiliated with Rallyrd, don't endorse them,  don't know much about them, or recommend them.  In fact, I think its a bad idea.  But I do know they are a legit company.)

On 10/27/2023 at 9:43 PM, shadroch said:

I know it wasn't intentional, and please don't take offense, but that is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a very long time.

There is a reason why the wheel is round and not square.

On 10/28/2023 at 7:32 PM, KCOComics said:

Not sure if it's illustrative or not,  but I can't imagine a Stan Signature adds anywhere near an increase of $600 in value on a $2 book. I would assume if makes a $2 worth about $50 if it's stabbed.  

Stan signed everything.  Thousands of new signatures most weekends for years and years. 

A lot of collectors prefer books unsigned.  

I wonder do books signed like Hulk 181, real key books seem to be droping in value ? and the unsigned ones  going up in value compared to the signed ones . It seems like the courses for both have reversed some in relationship of being signed or not signed .

On 10/31/2023 at 11:01 AM, davidking623 said:

I wonder do books signed like Hulk 181, real key books seem to be droping in value ? and the unsigned ones  going up in value compared to the signed ones . It seems like the courses for both have reversed some in relationship of being signed or not signed .

I honestly haven't paid much attention to SS books.  I have nothing against SS. I own 3 of them. A Wrightson and a couple of Stans.

One thing that should drop in value are Stan signed books he had nothing to do with,  like ASM 300 and Hulk 181!

On 10/31/2023 at 1:47 AM, Antillia Island said:

yikes

CGC books are hard to fake well....I have never seen a legtimate "fake" book in a slab in hand ever. If anyone has pictures of someone doing this (fake slabs, fake books, etc) do share. I have seen thousands of fake items being listed for sale but those items never end up in peoples hands...it is just people paying for a book someone does not have, the "fake" seller gets paid and then nothing is ever sent.

Value can be found aplenty these days. It is true that someone could have bought a book (say in 2020) for $50, spent $250 to get it pressed and graded and signed and that $300 investment is now only worth $60-100. That happens often in the flux of the market. There are often scenarios when books sell for less than market value (sellers just want the book gone and rather than sit around for 6 months and wait to make $100, they sell a book quickly now for closer to half price).

Also....comics and crypto are two VERY different collectible/investible commodities. I doubt collecting comics will ever go that way. I can tell you that the number of people on these forums who would rather trade all of their physical books for some sort of digital entity representing them is extremely low...borderline zero.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are completely :censored: insane.

I get what you are saying...storage is an issue for people with small spaces and transitory lifestyles.  Maybe a storage location would hold the items for 20-30 years until you are ready to retire in a permanent location...or sell them.  I don't see how the NFT plays a role in it, you could just save the image when you buy a book off Ebay and have it on your phone that way.  NFT's certainly aren't necessary now for buying and selling online.  I also don't see third-party storage being such a revolutionary thing that it will unlock some value in collectibles that isn't already being realized.  Maybe it allows some people to participate in the market who otherwise wouldn't, but there is going to be a cost associated with third-party storage.  Climate control, staffing, insurance, etc.  Maybe something like the Ebay Vault makes sense for higher dollar items.  I don't think it could ever be justified for common books and full runs.  Mycomicshop.com already holds items for their consignors.  You can buy directly from their site and have the books moved into your consignment inventory without ever leaving their warehouse.  But they aren't going to let someone use them as a free storage warehouse.  You have to be actively buying and selling for them to do this.  But it might be something worth learning more about for someone in your situation.   

Edited by Nick Furious

I understand, not trying to argue just provide a different perspective. I will be closing out of this becosue Celestia (TIA) just airdrop'ed fresh hope onto our ecosystem so we are having a bit of a cosmo crypto party over here. Unusually high amount of money into our cosmos wallets (a total of about $300 million USD worth). The Celestia team geo-locked the US mostly because of US-crypto pessimism and US SEC. I would love to click a few buttons and roll it into a nice high value book but the mechanisms are not there. I could walk it through Coinbase into my bank account, but it isn't worth the effort/fees. Anyway this isn't the place for crypto talk. I'm just giving an idea regarding what happens outside US boarders. I don't know, but my guess is the majority of online sales for comic dealers ships to a US address ... probably in the upwards of 90% but the US is like 4% of the global population. 

With that I really feel there is misconceptions regarding NFTs. I understand it mainly feels like digital art but it is not, way more than that, it's best described as a deed of ownership. Think of it like the deed of land you own, people can drive by it and even walk on it. The deed (piece of paper) gives you true ownership and happiness, you put the paper in a safe place, always know it there. NFTs sit next to my crypto in much the same fashion in my phone wallet, I feel I own in the modern world, it is secure, backed my un-hackable blockchain. I can physically hold my comics, look at their picture but do I really own them in the modern world. If someone stole them tomorrow they are gone. In an idea NFT world someone would not want to steel the books as having one without the digital NFT (deed) would make them both worthless. Like trying to live on land that you don't own. There are thousands of asset backed NFTs on the market that I can buy, mostly physical art work that you could get shipped or just held in gallery. In a comic vault could easily cover overhead expenses within the profits of token exchange, there is mechanisms already built into the code. The artists of most NFTs get at least 5% from the resale every time the ownership is exchanged. 

Anyway, I do understand there are a lot of different dynamics to collecting comics, I think you all are correct. I'm just telling you my perspective, on how I see the future, how I would like to collect. In the end it should be fun (easy to buy and easy to sale) As all good crypto investors think, it is worthless (just a bunch of zeros and ones.) It's the ride that is "fun" clicking buy and sale all day, all night 24/7. Waking up with a lot more money then you fell asleep with and finding new ways to spend it. Oh well, I guess I will just stake my new TIA coin :) But, it was nice hearing your thoughts and thank you everyone. I will dive back into my insane bubble of a fish tank and float around in blissful happiness. 

Edited by Antillia Island

Can you smell an NFT? No? I don't want it then, I will take my comic book thank you. 

This all sounds like a way to make this hobby less fun and more fungible and I disagree with that. You also sound like you are trying to promote whatever hypno crypto you are working on which, good for you but I only reply to ads taken out in comic books so sadly, I'm turning the page and continuing on with the story.