• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blitmap: King of Variant Covers (but in a COOL way!)
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Did anyone else here pick up a copy or 2 or 3 of Blitmap? They had it at NYCC this year (I didn't attend) and it just released at local shops this past Wednesday. So, it's a sci-fi story about 2 artificial (robot) "races" of people: the Blitnauts and the Logos, both generally untrusting of each other and at odds. But then a 3rd race shows up, the Static, that is apparently a threat to the other 2. Will they set aside their differences to face this new enemy? Or something like that. I dunno yet, since only 1 issue is out. The story is OK. I'm interested enough to keep going.

But there are a couple of other pretty awesome things about the book. Number one, the IP is "open source." Basically you can use the characters, world, setting, etc. freely if you'd like to make your own stories, merchandise, etc. You just can't reproduce a copy of the exact comic book they've printed. Who knows if anyone will care enough to actually do it, or how big it will get, but it's a neat concept anyhow.

But here's the big deal for collectors, and I'm sure many issues will end up being slabbed. Every single issue has an exclusive, one-of-a-kind cover. They call it a collaboration between their artists and "algorithms." If you've ever heard of the card game Keyforge, I imagine the technology used there is similar. All the art is made by an actual artist, not AI. There are 7 different base designs for Issue 1, but various aspects are all changed via algorithm, including background, zooming, colors, accessories on characters, clothing, facial expressions, etc. It's a pretty novel idea and the covers are genuinely cool. It has a $4.99 cover price and it comes in a foil polybag so you can't see what cover is inside. Again, every cover is unique! It's pretty awesome! And the quality of the book is actually GOOD, like the physical quality. Much better than your standard Marvel $4.99 books. Titan publishes the book. I've attached a pic of the 2 covers I got locally. But I'm kind of hooked so I ordered 5 more copies online. LOL. Here's a YT video they made that kind of explains things a bit. If you bought any, share your covers here!

blitmap.jpg

Edited by BuraddoRun

That does sound pretty interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

It kind of combines the idea of variant covers and NFTs in one package that takes the whole variant craze to its logical (and yet somehow insane!) conclusion.

I love the notion that someone could use the open source structure in mischievous ways. If every issue has a variant cover, could I make a print run of 10,000 copies and artificially produce a "standard" cover?

I bet the folks over at Bad idea are wishing they had thought of this first!

On 10/27/2023 at 11:38 PM, BuraddoRun said:

Did anyone else here pick up a copy or 2 or 3 of Blitmap? They had it at NYCC this year (I didn't attend) and it just released at local shops this past Wednesday. So, it's a sci-fi story about 2 artificial (robot) "races" of people: the Blitnauts and the Logos, both generally untrusting of each other and at odds. But then a 3rd race shows up, the Static, that is apparently a threat to the other 2. Will they set aside their differences to face this new enemy? Or something like that. I dunno yet, since only 1 issue is out. The story is OK. I'm interested enough to keep going.

But there are a couple of other pretty awesome things about the book. Number one, the IP is "open source." Basically you can use the characters, world, setting, etc. freely if you'd like to make your own stories, merchandise, etc. You just can't reproduce a copy of the exact comic book they've printed. Who knows if anyone will care enough to actually do it, or how big it will get, but it's a neat concept anyhow.

But here's the big deal for collectors, and I'm sure many issues will end up being slabbed. Every single issue has an exclusive, one-of-a-kind cover. They call it a collaboration between their artists and "algorithms." If you've ever heard of the card game Keyforge, I imagine the technology used there is similar. All the art is made by an actual artist, not AI. There are 7 different base designs for Issue 1, but various aspects are all changed via algorithm, including background, zooming, colors, accessories on characters, clothing, facial expressions, etc. It's a pretty novel idea and the covers are genuinely cool. It has a $4.99 cover price and it comes in a foil polybag so you can't see what cover is inside. Again, every cover is unique! It's pretty awesome! And the quality of the book is actually GOOD, like the physical quality. Much better than your standard Marvel $4.99 books. Titan publishes the book. I've attached a pic of the 2 covers I got locally. But I'm kind of hooked so I ordered 5 more copies online. LOL. Here's a YT video they made that kind of explains things a bit. If you bought any, share your covers here!

blitmap.jpg

In the '90s, a small company called Triumphant dubbed themselves "The Collector's Universe" and serial-numbered their comics, so somewhat similarly, no two covers were alike, because they all had different numbers (if not different art), and you knew exactly how many were out there. I remember some of the titles being well done (I think Adam Pollina's first pro work was for them), but they didn't survive the '90s implosion. I think for this to take off, the story needs to be better than just "okay."