• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hoarding big books - any extreme examples?

30 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2023 at 10:32 PM, AJD said:

I just read this about the Shakespeare 'First Folio'...

"Some of the 235 First Folios that are known to have survived remain in private hands, but most are held by research institutions, and nearly a third (eighty-two in all) reside in a single place: the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., built to house the rare book collection of Henry Folger, early-twentieth-century chairman of Standard Oil."

... and it got me wondering...are there any big GA books where a single collector has grabbed a sizeable percentage of the known copies? (By my math 82 of 235 is actually more than a third.) I know that copies of Fantastic Comics #3 had a habit of ending up in NYC at some stage, but what's the best example you know of?

A bit off topic (and characteristically more paranoid than is probably necessary), but it seems risky to me to keep that many copies of such an important book all in one place.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:59 AM, MattTheDuck said:

A bit off topic (and characteristically more paranoid than is probably necessary), but it seems risky to me to keep that many copies of such an important book all in one place.

Well at that stage you have three summer homes and four castles. oh.... don't forget the private island and the beach palace at Kiawah Island on the ocean course.......

They also own a bank with several branches that have lockboxes.......

I dont think its a concern really......

On 10/28/2023 at 11:59 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I guess we better notify every major museum in the world that they've got a problem.

On 10/28/2023 at 5:49 AM, JB123 said:

You dont even know........... Some of these gerber eights are stacked with people

you would be shocked what is out there..........

What about someone with a couple dozen Punch 12's? Thats just one example I have run across and not even a good one.....

The average collector that didn't see what we bought in sixties and seventies just cant comprehend what is being hoarded........

This is a shark industry too. We all know that.

I've seen pictures on these boards of multiples that have made my jaw drop! 

Books I've never even seen in person! 

On 10/28/2023 at 1:32 AM, AJD said:

I just read this about the Shakespeare 'First Folio'...

"Some of the 235 First Folios that are known to have survived remain in private hands, but most are held by research institutions, and nearly a third (eighty-two in all) reside in a single place: the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., built to house the rare book collection of Henry Folger, early-twentieth-century chairman of Standard Oil."

... and it got me wondering...are there any big GA books where a single collector has grabbed a sizeable percentage of the known copies? (By my math 82 of 235 is actually more than a third.) I know that copies of Fantastic Comics #3 had a habit of ending up in NYC at some stage, but what's the best example you know of?

What do you consider extreme?

On 10/28/2023 at 11:47 AM, WolverineX said:

ahh yes,  cornering the market.  punch 12, fantastic comics 3 are allegedly all hoarded.

Maybe......... I was able to sell a punch 12 to that dastardly person recently......

They are hardcore this was a coverless example with a recreated cover and they still wanted to hoard it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure everyone knows the comic formula right??????

You can't have it........... Thats the comic motto and in turn the insanity....... Show me the money

On 10/29/2023 at 7:20 PM, Vintage_Paper said:

What do you consider extreme?

Well, the Shakespeare example probably fits that - one in three surviving copies in one collection. Since most big GA books exist in the hundreds but not thousands, maybe 50+ of one book would be a fair bench mark.

On 10/29/2023 at 8:19 AM, AJD said:

one in three surviving copies in one collection

this is very interesting because we use gerber and the census to try and determine surviving copies........

its all a guess....... Its fun to find a comic like Champion 4 which is barely graded and appears uber rare but they are out there in reality.

it depends on the title and the value to be earned from it as to how many have come out to play I would say is a formula generally.

Hoarding seems to be common. It causes price inflation for the issue being hoarded, but I'm not sure whether it pays off for the hoarder. As soon as the hoarder starts to release copies into the marketplace, prices will start to come back down. There may be some sort of OCD issue at play as opposed to simply a financial incentive.

On 10/29/2023 at 10:40 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Hoarding seems to be common. It causes price inflation for the issue being hoarded, but I'm not sure whether it pays off for the hoarder. As soon as the hoarder starts to release copies into the marketplace, prices will start to come back down. There may be some sort of OCD issue at play as opposed to simply a financial incentive.

OMG - You my friend are very smart.......

Look what it did to this guy.........

bm.jpg

On 10/29/2023 at 7:40 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

See the hoarding in mystery tales 2013-2018 and price action since…