• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info needed
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hi I’m new to this but I wanted to know if I send out a book for grading through a comic book store, will CGC let the store know what grade it’s given before grading? Also will CGC let the store know it needs pressing to get better grade before grading? Thanks

Yes,  CGC will let the store know. 

The store will have an account with a dealer ID and they'll be able to look everything up. 

I use to send them out through my local store and I don't recommend it.  It's fine until something goes wrong! 

I had an GA book that i really liked get damaged. The local store blamed CGC, CGC said they got it from the store that way.  No one took responsibility and I was left with a damaged book,  despite having clear before and after pictures.  

So I would recommend getting an account and sending them yourself. At least then,  if something goes wrong it's between you and CGC. Not you,  CGC and a store. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 10/28/2023 at 12:37 PM, Jfking1 said:

will CGC let the store know what grade it’s given before grading?

Not before grading.  Grading is when the grade is assigned.  If you meant before you receive it back, the store will have the ability to look it up for you.

On 10/28/2023 at 12:37 PM, Jfking1 said:

Also will CGC let the store know it needs pressing to get better grade before grading?

No, but you can pay for press screening.  They'll decide if a press will improve the grade or not.  They aren't going to contact the store just to recommend a press.

Not saying they haven't. I sent a book in for grading once, corner got bumped in shipping so they emailed me to suggest a press.  They didn't owe me that so it was appreciated.

Lastly, like KCO says, the less middlemen, the better.  Too much can go wrong and you're left with 2 companies blaming each other.

It's simple to submit yourself.  Also, depending on your budget, the $150 membership gives you $150 credit.  

I'd send them yourself, then any issues are between you and CGC.  Also, you'll have access to the grades before you receive them.