• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ready to sell a 300 issue run of Cerebus, looking for advice/guidance before I list
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

I’m ready to sell my full run of Cerebus and thought this might be the place.  It’s all high grade (see photos).  Before doing all the photos, etc, I had a few questions about the marketplace here:

1 - is this the kind of thing there would be interest for here?

2 - my thought when I was going to list it other places was to get any issues under 15 that aren’t slabbed slabbed. Does the group think that’s worthwhile or that the audience here might not care/prefer to slab them themselves?

photo attached is 1-15 with 16-300 in the boxes.  #1 is probably a 7.5 maybe higher with a press given some of the forgivingness I’ve seen with tics on these books.

Thanks so much for your time and advice!l

C9FB7EB7-E85E-4AE6-8503-6CB4966A26F9.png

989612C7-7D3F-4450-ABCC-0526F56A3E9B.jpeg

9B0BADC2-EF53-457C-912F-86C996110554.jpeg

9C394A08-35FF-4B00-AAE4-28C756F80715.jpeg

5BE9F14F-3326-4B77-B2BD-BD143381D273.jpeg

6F6460FA-2A01-488E-B26D-838039FADB8A.jpeg

Hello - this probably needs to get moved to a different part of the forum. 

But to answer your questions: 

1) yes, there is definitely interest. It may be harder to move as a lot, but people here would be interested. 

2) I don't know a ton about Cerebus, but I know #1 is valuable and sought after.  Def worth getting it slabbed. 

For the rest, it's likely a balance between the expected grade and given value. If it's worth more than a few hundred $$, you'll likely get an ROI from having it graded it. 

Good luck

On 10/28/2023 at 9:04 PM, KCOComics said:
On 10/28/2023 at 12:13 PM, Corvonie said:

I had a few questions about the marketplace here:

@CGC Mike

On 10/28/2023 at 10:04 PM, KCOComics said:

But to answer your questions: 

1) yes, there is definitely interest. It may be harder to move as a lot, but people here would be interested. 

2) I don't know a ton about Cerebus, but I know #1 is valuable and sought after.  Def worth getting it slabbed. 

For the rest, it's likely a balance between the expected grade and given value. If it's worth more than a few hundred $$, you'll likely get an ROI from having it graded it. 

Good luck

Good info, but if you break up the set, be prepared to sell the first 10 or so and be left with most of the rest. If it were me I'd try the group first, and then break up if necessary. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/29/2023 at 4:40 AM, jimjum12 said:

Good info, but if you break up the set, be prepared to sell the first 10 or so and be left with most of the rest. If it were me I'd try the group first, and then break up if necessary. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

My only thought there was that I have the first 50 as the bi-weekly reprints they ran in the late 80s/early 90s and could break it up as 1-50 original issues and another more economical full run with 1-50 being the reprints.  But we’ll see what interest is like.  Thanks Jimbo, to you and everyone else for the advice!

On 10/29/2023 at 1:34 PM, NP_Gresham said:

I don’t know much about this run, except that #1 has a counterfeit that is very difficult to differentiate from the original. For this reason alone, I would never touch a #1 that was not CGC regardless of grade.

I’m sure mine is authentic and have photos of all the relevant pieces to prove it but 100% agree about the value of grading #1 for a non-in-person sale.   Thanks 

On 10/29/2023 at 10:44 AM, GawkHawk said:

It's really not all that difficult to tell a counterfeit from a real Cerebus 1 if you know what to look for.  I wouldn't buy one without having it hand to though.

It used to be easy, as the inner cover was glossier than the original, but people have figured out how to fix that.

On 10/29/2023 at 1:44 PM, GawkHawk said:

It's really not all that difficult to tell a counterfeit from a real Cerebus 1 if you know what to look for.  I wouldn't buy one without having it hand to though.

Yup I know mine is authentic and have the photos to prove it but this has helped make my decision to grade #1 for sale 

On 10/29/2023 at 2:12 PM, shadroch said:

It used to be easy, as the inner cover was glossier than the original, but people have figured out how to fix that.

Yeah I’ve had this copy for a long time and also the other markers (duotone vs flat gray/black Cerebus in the centerfold, coloring and haloing on the front cover shield/background warrior, etc, but I think this has helped me make my decision to have it graded for sale, thanks!

How did you assemble this?  Share the backstory. I had the first twenty or so in the reprint Swords of Cerebus but sold them and bought the phone books. I read the series thru the book that ends around 200, but lost interest.

Sell the #1 via an Auction House that will get it CGC graded as part of the service. Authenticated it will yield more and higher bids rather than it appearing "sketchy".

Although you want to part with it as a set. IMHO you can do much better selling #1 (after grading) and some of the other early and keys issues as single lots.  Parts are worth more than the sum...

All above IMHO

Edit: See you made the wise choice to have it graded.

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/29/2023 at 3:09 PM, shadroch said:

How did you assemble this?  Share the backstory. I had the first twenty or so in the reprint Swords of Cerebus but sold them and bought the phone books. I read the series thru the book that ends around 200, but lost interest.

So I read Cerebus in real time from about issue 70 on and bought the bi-weekly reprints of earlier issues.  
Later, after mine were damaged in a flood, I bought a lot of 12-300 (this was about 15 years ago).  A short while later, I found my #1, and have been filling in the rest since.  Interestingly,  #5 was the hold out, being hardest to find in the wild.  I bough that one end of last year or beginning of this year.

Thanks for asking!  We forget this part of the fun of talking to each other about our collections