• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Slab Small Triangular Markings
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed small triangular-shaped markings inside their CGC slabs? At first, I thought they were plastic flakes trapped inside, but there are at least a dozen, some of which are clustered together. My inner well is slightly loose and the markings do not move along with it. I'm assuming they're on the inner part of the slab itself. Some are more obvious than others due to their location. Any thoughts?

IMG_9840.jpg

IMG_9838.jpg

IMG_9829.jpg

IMG_9837.jpg

On 10/28/2023 at 4:02 PM, Lightning55 said:

Those look to be plastic shards and debris that was showing up in slabs for a while,  maybe still happening. Is this a book you received back just now?

The book was slabbed about 2 months ago. Some of the triangles are more prominent than others. They almost look like blemishes in the plastic since they’re all similar in shape and the way light reflects off of them. I’m not able to get any of them to move either. 

On 10/28/2023 at 5:47 PM, Lightning55 said:

If it was your submission, you have 14 days to question any QC concerns.  I don't know if CGC will do anything about it now, but you could email customer service to find out.

Thank you for the information. I was unaware that they were having quality concerns with debris in their slabs. 

There has been general mention of it, and also some threads started about specific books received back with plastic shards, hairs, debris, etc. in the slabs.

Here is a search of the forum threads by "debris": https://www.cgccomics.com/search-results/?q=debris  A variety to check out, but there are many more present under different search terms.

On 10/28/2023 at 5:13 PM, finalfan7asy said:

The book was slabbed about 2 months ago. Some of the triangles are more prominent than others. They almost look like blemishes in the plastic since they’re all similar in shape and the way light reflects off of them. I’m not able to get any of them to move either. 

If it's been more than 14 days, they'll still fix it (as a reholder), but it'll cost you. If it was under the 14 day deadline to report it, they'd take care of it for free (as a mechanical error).

I was unsure if these triangular looking markings were common and caused by any of CGC’s equipment during encapsulation. I’m probably better off keeping the book in its current slab. It has frail edges and I would hate to lose any pieces if they had to replace the inner well too. If they’re debris, they seem to be outside the well and don’t move. I appreciate all the help!

Edited by finalfan7asy
Additional information