• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance or Not ?
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I thought I knew what a first appearance was but, apparently not. I'm showing this recent Venom #23 comic with the new Symbiote Black Widow on the cover. A first appearance you might think but, apparently not ? The marketing for this comic said "Venom #23 - the first appearance of a new symbiote"

Inside the comic she appears in cameo but, in full on the cover. Because she doesn't make a FULL appearance in the story until Venom #26, this issue is recognised as her first appearance.

To my way of thinking the huge cover reveal on Venom #23 combined with the cameo makes this the first appearance?

I would love to know your thoughts ? 

362694011_1088642485437984_1559552915635730538_n_480x.jpg.734c2fbc9fbd8212352f1e6c85c455ab.jpg

Edited by Colin Nash

On 10/29/2023 at 5:12 AM, Colin Nash said:

I thought I knew what a first appearance was but, apparently not. I'm showing this recent Venom #23 comic with the new Symbiote Black Widow on the cover. A first appearance you might think but, apparently not ? The marketing for this comic said "Venom #23 - the first appearance of a new symbiote"

Inside the comic she appears in cameo but, in full on the cover. Because she doesn't make a FULL appearance in the story until Venom #26, this issue is recognised as her first appearance.

To my way of thinking the huge cover reveal on Venom #23 combined with the cameo makes this the first appearance?

I would love to know your thoughts ? 

362694011_1088642485437984_1559552915635730538_n_480x.jpg.734c2fbc9fbd8212352f1e6c85c455ab.jpg

First appearance (cameo) in story; first cover appearance. Other covers for this issue are only cameo appearances. Now how collectors should value this is a different question.

A cameo appearance is still an appearance, so the marketing didn't lie.

I was thinking more the red hulk from 2008.

#1 has red hulk on the cover and label notation of "a" first appearance, but tmk doesn't show up till issue #2, which doesn't have a label notation?

Something like that

On 11/1/2023 at 8:05 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The market only determines which book is more desirable. Wolverine's first appearance will always be on the last page of 180.

I know this. I posted my original comment because discussions of "cameo vs full appearance" always devolves into some variation of the 180/181 nonsense, no matter what character is being discussed. I just wanted to get ahead of the curve.

By the way, his first appearance was actually in Foom #2 lol :banana: