• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics graded by CGG

116 posts in this topic

The company wasn't a joke?

lol...

No... it still is...

Third party authentication is only useful if both buyer and seller agree to accept the qualifications of that third party.

While I have no doubt that within 3 years there will be a legitimate competitor for CGC, I also have no doubt that this is not it...

No... no vendetta...

But a third-party authentication service is not something you build up from a grass roots level with word of mouth... The marketplace is resistant enough to CGC, a company with graders many of us purchased from before they started working there, a company with millions of dollars in backing, a company with state of the art security systems, a company that takes comics even more seriously than we do...

CGG has as much chance of being a successful competitor to CGC as this forum does of joining the American League as an expansion team for next year...

I don't doubt there will be a competing company. I don't doubt that the people who will bring it to market have already signed paperwork and made capital investments. I don't doubt they are doing market research right now. But you are not going to compete with CGC on $25K. And you and I could do everything CGG has done so far on a lot less than that...

And you and I could do everything CGG has done so far on a lot less than that...

Taking $$ from unsuspecting folks who will realize that their books might as well be in a mylar? shocked.gif

lol...

Well I was trying to be a little more diplomatic... smile.gif

But seriously... I could accomplish everything we have seen from them so far in 10 man-hours with less than $1000...

The encapsulated comics are in a stiff plastic well similar to the CGC inner well. The plastic is thicker and the seal is wider then CGC's. About twice as wide.

Is this thing rigid, or is it a little wobbly? Any chance the book/well would "bend" (causing spine stress) if you, say, dropped it on a corner? Without a hard/rigid outer shell, I'd be wary of the long-term safety of keeping your books in a flexible shell.

I didn't see an add in the new OS and I just finished reading it last night.

I guess the next test will be busting a book out of a CGC slab and sending it to CGG for comparison. I have a Marvel Team-Up Annual #1 that's CGC graded that I'll send in with a few other books.

Thanks for the report, and it sounds like a new day for Moderns and some Bronze issues.

Question for you joe; if I interpreted all the comments you've made thus far on CGG, it sounds like you are supporting the CGG cause. On what grounds are you championing their service?

I support competition, and especially the logically lower costs for Modern grading. If CGC is allowed to exist as a Microsoft-like monopoly, it will soon be so expensive to grade a comic that the market will deflate as a result.

$19 + S&H for a Modern is ludicrous.

At some point in the future, only expensive keys in ultra-HG will be CGC-able. If you care about the long-term prospects of the hobby, then you shold support competition.

Is this thing rigid, or is it wobbly? Any chance the book/well would "bend"...

I would say its a bit stronger then, lets say, a mylar with a backing board in it. Probably safer then droping a comic in a mylar. The encapsulated comic is about a inch away from the edge on any side. Top even more because of the label. Yes it is wobbly like a comic in a mylar with a backing board, but because of the well configuration I think it is a bit more steardy. I think its fine for comics that you want graded and are not being manhandled a lot. This is how I think of it. How ruff do you treat your comics? I'm pretty careful with my collection. Mine are mostly bagged and mylared. I haven't dropped one in years. But if your selling books and every Tom, , & Harry is handling them then there is a chance they'd get damaged. Then you'd probably want the outer holder. Myself, I like the outer plastic holder for my expensive books and ones that are high graded. I've had books graded in the past that came back low grades that I wish I didn't have slabbed. The way I see it is, if CGG is going to slab your books with the outer shell that you say are forinstance, 9.4 or higher and not to outer shell any lower, doesn't that make sense. Because you would save on the cost of not paying extra for the outer holder on the books that grade lower then you expected. I think outer holders are great for the expensive books and the high graded ones. For the newer books, lower graded, these CGG holders are fine. But for the books that are more dear to me I'd have them graded with the outer holder.

If CGC is allowed to exist as a Microsoft-like monopoly, it will soon be so expensive to grade a comic that the market will deflate as a result.

I have some market insights to offer as well, and examples which could illustrate the opposite, but I'd rather reserve those for a later post. I like to base my opinions on experience and fact, and until I have had to chance to evaluate the product for myself, I don't believe I can make any constructive statements on the topic.

Frankly, I found it a bit shocking that you sided so quickly with this effort -- you have always come across as someone who expresses a considerable opposition and resitance to new concepts and services on these forums, and to see you champion the CGG cause so quickly, and without any disdain was, well, surprising! shocked.gif I thought there might have been something you knew about the company with which we might not have been aware.

>>I have some market insights to offer as well, and examples which could illustrate the opposite, but I'd rather reserve those for a later post. I like to base my opinions on experience and fact

Huh? Okay, post some facts on what the intial CGC grading prices were on inception, and then the yearly spikes, followed by the percentage increases.

I can't see CGC prices going anywhere but through the roof, mainly because they have absolutely no competition. Just like any other monopoly, they're getting fat on the speculator dollars and ratcheting prices to the moon.

I am going to send CGG some books next week to test them out - mainly very high grade bronze so will let everyone know what happens. Sending a Defenders 10 and avengers 93 and a few Hulks and maybe a Spidey 45 - all these books are in the 9.2 to 9.4 category.

They are more strict. Expect a lower grade or same.

That is a good thing. Consistent & strictly graded books are the way to fly! I'm going to try CGG immediately & will post my results here. Does anyone have a scan they can post here that shows a close-up of a CGG graded product? Thanks