• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics graded by CGG

116 posts in this topic

I now have my comics back from CGG, Comic Grading Group. I mailed them off on 4/5 and got them back on 4/21. Which I thought was amazing since I'm so use to waiting a lot longer. So I'd have to say turnaround time is fantastic. The return packaging was very good. Books were packed pretty solid. It would of took some hard beating to damage the books. But from how the box looked it didn't get manhandled much. Box was in great shape.

The encapsulated comics are in a stiff plastic well similar to the CGC inner well. The plastic is thicker and the seal is wider then CGC's. About twice as wide. I believe the seal makes the comic air and water tight. The GRADING LABEL is encapsulated above the comic. All my comics recieved the royal blue color CGG WORLD GRADE label. One thing I like about the label is that the book title and grade are in big lettering. I can stand back 6 - 7 feet away and stll be able to read what it says. And I have bad eyesite. The back of the label has only CGG's web site noted. Nothing else. The only disappointment about the label is the lack of information. There's no mention of character appearances, no mention of limited or mini series, no mention of volume, and no mention of artist. I found that a little disapointing. But I do like that they have the date the book was graded on the label. The outer plastic holders they are working on, can be bought from CGG and they also seal the comics in the outer holders. But again, I believe they are working out the bugs on that. Inquire.

They do let you know they recieved the books, that the books are being graded, and when the books are being sent back to you. I recieved several emails from them during this transaction. Which I thought was very nice.

As for the grading. I have issues on that. I'd have to say they are a bit more strict then CGC.

Price is fine for the service you get. Especially for the MODERN comics.

If you would like to see what one of my CGG graded comics looks like, check out ebay item #2171902916. (Maybe someone would be kind enought to put a link. I'm not too good at that.) If it sells it would be the 1st CGG comic to sell on ebay.

All in all I was satisfied. The comics I had them grade were used as my own personal test. Just wanted to see for myself how they are. I probably would send modern comics to them again someday.

I like the idea that the "Date of grading" is listed on the label. I like the idea of cheaper rates. I don't even mind the "generic" look of the capsule. But, what "measures" has CGG taken to secure the grade(can the capsule be opened?), and to keep people from creating "fake slabs"? I really want to have a choice(when it comes to professional grading and certification), I am just wondering if CGG is it......

By the way...... who actually grades the comics at CGG?

I like the idea that the "Date of grading" is listed on the label.

I like it too. It reminds me of Budweiser's "born on date" for their beer. Just say no to bitter beer..........

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

The ELEKTRA spelling I was gonna call and tell them about it. But I have some comics with that Electra spelling so I didnt make an issue of it. I probably should have because the book title is spelled the other way.

A couple of things I didn't mention before...

They wouldn't grade a mini-comic I sent because they don't have holders for that size. They also wouldn't grade a 3D comic I sent because of the size also. Its more of a golden age comic size.

They did grade a comic that has extras with it. Posters, bookmark, and such. They encapsulated the whole set together. Which I liked. Originally all came polybagged together. Now its all graded and encapsulated.

They have thier web site address on the back of the label.

Its comicgradinggroup.com

In the previous forum post about CGG, one of the main things we complained about was the label--it was a DIRECT rip-off of CGC. I can see that they took that criticism to heart! The completely removed the disclaimer from the back label that was CGC's re-typed with CGG's name in it...they redesigned the whole front label...and they added that date-of-grading, which wasn't on the initial labels but that someone suggested during the course of that thread. Not bad work for a few weeks' time! I'm not a big fan of the font style or size of the "CGG World Grade" text, but ah, who cares, we don't pay for the label style. Looks like they majorly increased the font size of the numerical grade from their initial label design, which is something CGC said they were going to start doing also, although I haven't seen any labels which reflect that yet.

Anybody seen any ads in the current Overstreet? I haven't looked it over thoroughly yet.

In the previous forum post about CGG, one of the main things we complained about was the label--it was a DIRECT rip-off of CGC. I can see that they took that criticism to heart! The completely removed the disclaimer from the back label that was CGC's re-typed with CGG's name in it...they redesigned the whole front label...and they added that date-of-grading

Yes, they did indeed. But they kept CGG - and I swear I was half way into Mister_Comics post before I realized it was CGG and not CGC. I DO wish they decided to change the name.

I also don;t like the "World" appelation. Too close to "Universal" in concept. Why not break the envelope and come up with something unique? Or go one better and just use the same label for any book and include any notations regarding the grade? Like "Restoration (S/A) Color touch with bleed through". Now THAT would get attention! grin.gif