• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE! — CGC nefarious behavior! Any advice/help would be appreciated.
6 6

183 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2023 at 9:18 PM, Semicentennial said:

While it's nice to do, they don't have to show you any video of them receiving the books.  If you truly think someone stole the book then file a police report and have the police grab a copy of the video.  That's how we do things where I work.  We don't allow customers to review video due to privacy concerns...I guess, but if the police came in asking to see the video because they're investigating a crime then we'll even burn copies of the video for them.

I don’t know if that’s the case or not. Only video can show the action of any employees and how they handled things. But It may have to come down to that. I tend to not believe theft but possible error on how it was separated and catalogued. Why should I or any submitter be at fault of their error. 

As of now, the only update I received is they are now reviewing the tape again going Frame by Frame. How long that takes, I have No idea. So I wait for an update. 

Edited by Ghostzapper

On 11/2/2023 at 11:23 PM, Ghostzapper said:
On 11/2/2023 at 9:18 PM, Semicentennial said:

While it's nice to do, they don't have to show you any video of them receiving the books.  If you truly think someone stole the book then file a police report and have the police grab a copy of the video.  That's how we do things where I work.  We don't allow customers to review video due to privacy concerns...I guess, but if the police came in asking to see the video because they're investigating a crime then we'll even burn copies of the video for them.

I don’t know if that’s the case or not. Only video can show the action of any employees and how they handled things. But It may have to come down to that. I tend to not believe theft but possible error on how it was separated and catalogued. Why should I or any submitter be at fault of their error. 

They make a very valid point about viewing the video as a non-employee. All sorts of privacy concerns. It's why Collector's Society have such strict limits on who is even allowed on the property. I've been there a few times. You basically just see one door and one room. That's it. 

They don't want people peering into the inner workings in much the same way TSA won't let you take pics once you're in a secure area. They don't want every detail being made public. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/2/2023 at 11:51 PM, Tnexus said:

The video is probably also a privacy thing for the employees. Could lead to harassment who never agreed to be posted on public videos.

Honest question, why would they be harassed if they did nothing wrong?

I don’t think an employee error or in worst case a theft is going to end up on Access Hollywood.

But I know what was there and being told to basically off with no recourse is unacceptable. That’s basically saying we’re batting 100%, Ted Williams on steroids and good luck striking us out.

If OP is close enough for 4k in Florida it only costs $300 to file a small claims complaint in civil court in addition to the consumer complaint to the AG. 

Small claim civil cases have a lot of leeway dependent on how the judge is feeling and the fact CGC has evidence, refuses to provide it in any form, while also claiming no culpability isn't a good look (but not necessarily a winning case).

The above would absolutely burn any future interaction with the company though if you still want to do first hand business with them.

On 11/2/2023 at 11:01 PM, Ghostzapper said:

I don’t think an employee error or in worst case a theft is going to end up on Access Hollywood.

Because that is not how the internet works; if they give you the video and you upload it to the socials and start screaming about CGC employee's throwing away your property while management laughs at you. There will be people who see it, do their very best to track anyone in the video down, and absolutely harass them. This would go infinitely more if you are already popular or are an influencer with a massive following.

I fully support CGC showing you the video so that you can see why they don't believe you; I also do not think you should have that video in your possession after any viewing.

On 11/3/2023 at 12:10 AM, DougC said:

Because that is not how the internet works; if they give you the video and you upload it to the socials and start screaming about CGC employee's throwing away your property while management laughs at you. There will be people who see it, do their very best to track anyone in the video down, and absolutely harass them. This would go infinitely more if you are already popular or are an influencer with a massive following.

I fully support CGC showing you the video so that you can see why they don't believe you; I also do not think you should have that video in your possession after any viewing.

I hear you. I’m not interested in doing any of that. I really just want or wanted my books graded. But I’m not going to let anyone walk over me. This was the first magazine I ever sent in. I know what has happened so far has opened my eyes to do a lot of things different. 

Whenever I ship books to buyers, I always take pictures to show the books and to show how I packed them.  This is for insurance purposes; in case I ever have to file a claim.  I guess this works for shipping books to CGC too.

But I did cancel my CGC membership a few years ago because of other reasons.  Most of those reasons have been documented on these boards.  This thread just added one more reason to that list.  :frown:

I hope they find your book.

Not releasing the video is not really a sign of guilt to me. As others have said, most companies will not hand over a video without a police or attorney legal request. 

I have shipped an item packaged like this before for either the gift exchange or raffle. The bottom layer looked so much like the bottom packaging layer that I wrote a note that said, “open this” so they wouldn’t miss it.

The magazine may be gone forever but I think they will make an effort to make it right if the video shows this possibility. It may even start a new unpacking policy.

On 11/3/2023 at 12:06 AM, DougC said:

The above would absolutely burn any future interaction with the company though if you still want to do first hand business with them

Imagine someone doing future business with them if you know you packed a book and they threw it away and won't show you.

I had one single order a few months back that they said was missing a book.  I said I sent the book.  They told me they would look at the video and get back to me, but to give them a few days.  I gave them a week and looked saw my books were shipped.  The book in question was in there, but they never called to say they found it.

On 11/2/2023 at 9:46 AM, jimjum12 said:

If it opens from the top, it could easily have been overlooked if the mag was on the bottom ... if sideways, there's not much excuse. That's why I asked. When I ship multiple packets within a larger box, I do like Roy said and tape them all together, so they ALL come out. I, too, have mistaken a cardboard sandwich as just another piece of cardboard. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

My question would be what do they do with the boxes? I can't imagine they reuse them so somebody must flatten them and dispose of them. 

It's not as if the box was thrown out without being flattened.

In the future, this can be avoided by enclosing the entire order in a clear plastic bag.  Pack the books like Doug C showed, but  then wrap everything in a single clear plastic bag, even a clear trash bag. That way, even a person who is inept will not leave a thousand-dollar book in a box they discard. Assume that the person assigned to open boxes is there because that is the best use of his talents and go from there.

On 11/3/2023 at 10:03 AM, shadroch said:

My question would be what do they do with the boxes? I can't imagine they reuse them so somebody must flatten them and dispose of them. 

They've probably got a baler that crushes them into giant bricks. Tossed into some sort of tote, to the baler, when full a button crushes them. GOD BLESS... 

On 11/3/2023 at 10:03 AM, shadroch said:

Thank you for your comments. I posed that question to CGC Mike. Do you have video of my box after it was opened, where it was taken and discarded, if somehow my magazine was left inside. Was it then found away from video sight, discarded or at that point taken by someone finding it because it was away from video sight. Questions I have but I’ll wait until I hear their explanation of the events that happened.

All I can say was there were 3 items in the box, 2 comics packed separately and 1 magazine packed separately. The invoices were taped to their respective order. And sandwiched together in one box.We will see.

On 11/3/2023 at 9:37 AM, jimjum12 said:

They've probably got a baler that crushes them into giant bricks. Tossed into some sort of tote, to the baler, when full a button crushes them. GOD BLESS... 

Per my sources this is what CGC uses for cardboard boxes and the books still left in them..

image.png.1c89880b538566523b9831f0716bb8de.png

again...I am the sources!

On 11/3/2023 at 12:01 AM, Ghostzapper said:
On 11/2/2023 at 11:51 PM, Tnexus said:

The video is probably also a privacy thing for the employees. Could lead to harassment who never agreed to be posted on public videos.

Privacy laws are meant to protect people from the lowest common denominator in society. 

Unfortunately, it used to be that in society the lowest common denominator was much higher than it seems to be today. 

Personally, I'd love to work on raising that lowest common denominator and make the world a better place for EVERYONE. 

But this is where we're at right now, and unfortunately I don't see a way of raising it anytime soon. lol

Edited by VintageComics