• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corner bent from SCS... what would you do?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

If you got back a high grade book that is worth a few thousand $ or more and it had corner bend like the picture shown below... would you send in it as a mechanical error and hope the grade stays the same? Or just leave it be to not risk a downgrade?

Anyone who has experienced this, what did CGC do or not do for you? If a book is say a 9.8 then gets downgraded to a 9.6, does CGC compensate the actual FMV of the book?

Pic attached is not my book, but shows what I am talking about.

IMG_1264.thumb.jpeg.8eb22d506c4de1f611b8dd1a62257197.jpeg

If you have pics pre-grading, send them to CGC. You can send the book back to them to see if they can repair the corner, but it will then be re-graded and may come back a lower grade. If it does you can ask them to compensate you for the value of the book (the amount you declared when submitting the comic) but be aware that the comic is then their property. Or you can see if they will compensate you an agreed upon difference between the two grades and return the comic. Don't take this as the official CGC stance, it is just what happened to me in a similar situation a few years ago.  (thumbsu

On 11/2/2023 at 1:42 PM, Black_Adam said:

If you have pics pre-grading, send them to CGC. You can send the book back to them to see if they can repair the corner, but it will then be re-graded and may come back a lower grade. If it does you can ask them to compensate you for the value of the book (the amount you declared when submitting the comic) but be aware that the comic is then their property. Or you can see if they will compensate you an agreed upon difference between the two grades and return the comic. Don't take this as the official CGC stance, it is just what happened to me in a similar situation a few years ago.  (thumbsu

Even if it was graded more than 6 years ago? Hard to believe that CGC would do this so far after the fact?

Edit oh nevermind the old label is just an example doh!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/2/2023 at 1:42 PM, Black_Adam said:

Would value declared be the value declared when sending back as ME, or the original value declared? In my case, I submitted a modern book that ended up getting a 9.8 (value now over $2k). I only declared it at $400 originally.

On 11/2/2023 at 12:32 PM, Timed said:

Would value declared be the value declared when sending back as ME, or the original value declared? In my case, I submitted a modern book that ended up getting a 9.8 (value now over $2k). I only declared it at $400 originally.

You declared it at $400 on the Modern Tier. Did they upgrade you to a higher tier and upcharge you when the book received the 9.8 grade and higher valuation? If no, the value of the book is only $400 and all you would possibly be reimbursed if they agree the damage was their fault.

On 11/2/2023 at 3:53 PM, Black_Adam said:

You declared it at $400 on the Modern Tier. Did they upgrade you to a higher tier and upcharge you when the book received the 9.8 grade and higher valuation? If no, the value of the book is only $400 and all you would possibly be reimbursed if they agree the damage was their fault.

No I was not upcharged after grading. I am just confused, since there is a space on the ME form to declare value. And IIRC I saw a comment on a different thread from a CGC employee to write the value of the comic after being graded, which would make sense... BUT if it did get downgraded and they say that they will only pay out $400 as it was the original value declaration, that would feel horrible.

On 11/2/2023 at 2:28 PM, Timed said:

No I was not upcharged after grading. I am just confused, since there is a space on the ME form to declare value. And IIRC I saw a comment on a different thread from a CGC employee to write the value of the comic after being graded, which would make sense... BUT if it did get downgraded and they say that they will only pay out $400 as it was the original value declaration, that would feel horrible.

This is definitely a conversation you should be having with CGC. Hope the bend is non-color breaking and they are able to give it a quick press and re-slab and return it to you in the same grade! :wishluck: