• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Adventure Comics 61
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi new here and new to comics. I have a golden age comic. Adventure Comics #61, first appearance of Starman. I only have a picture of the front. It’s stored at my mother’s home but will see her next month and will take more photos and post here. My mom bought it (and a few others) at a thrift shop, she’s a fan of vintage things. What grade would you give it by just the front picture? It’s in a plastic sleeve and has a white paper behind it for support. When I took this photo (didn’t dare to remove it from the sleeve) it seems like staples are all there and no loose pages. Will add more photos soon! image0.jpeg.7ace01457c3b8655403f03dc3ae581be.jpeg

Edited by IDJNYC

On 11/3/2023 at 2:51 PM, IDJNYC said:

image0.jpeg.7ace01457c3b8655403f03dc3ae581be.jpeg

What an epic score!  Such a neat comic and a great character.

To properly assess condition, you'll need to take it out of the bag and get some pictures of front and back.  When I'm looking at valuable comics or comics that I don't want to damage, I pull the comic out of the bag WITH THE BACKING BOARD.  While you're handling the book, it provides a nice rigid support for the book, and it also helps to keep sweaty fingers from creating "finger bends".  You'll want to be careful if there's tape sealing the bag.  Sometimes tape will grab the book while you're removing the book or putting it back into the bag (severe damage can happen there).

It looks about a 3.0 from this one picture.

Welcome to the Boards and share more DC Golden Age!!!!

On 11/4/2023 at 2:10 PM, Yorick said:

You'll want to be careful if there's tape sealing the bag.  Sometimes tape will grab the book while you're removing the book or putting it back into the bag (severe damage can happen there).

This is SO true and it has probably happened to just about eveyone who has handled more than a handful of bagged comics.  When it happens, it just makes your heart sink and you get that sick feeling in your stomach.  PLEASE try to avoid this.  Yorick provided a lot of good advice.

BTW - Great book!!