• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
27 27

1,919 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2024 at 2:55 PM, Sauce Dog said:

That is all well and good and I'm all for a redemptive arc, especially for one of our own who has fallen on very hard times...but he was selling customer books years before he even expanded to multiple locations or anything looked to be remotely imploding with the business. Also I would take that "heart attack" claim with a large grain of salt.

I won't expand on any of this, but everything I learned about him during my investigating showed he was making questionable decisions since the inception of the company combined with copious amount of lying.

I had not heard that he was selling customers books since the beginning. That's really unsettling. 

On 8/17/2024 at 1:41 PM, KCOComics said:

What's funny is,  if you rewind 3, 4 or 5 years,  Hero seemed like the most professional option.  They looked (on the surface) like a business.

Kenny and Susan looked like one person shops who did a good job and earned their reputations.  Mike had multiple locations, a big staff, an efficient website.  

Now we see it was just a front. All the big jobs I've seen him perform are really questionable. And now we are learning he may have been selling customers books since the beginning...  

I'll add, i was warned to question his claims about a heart attack. - but I won't speak to his health. All I know is, the thread shows the problems started years and years before the heart attack. 

So I have changed my assumptions about Mike. The reason some of those big Jobs like the early Actions and Flash 1, sat for years and years wasn't because of health or being to busy. I think he wasn't skilled enough to do the work he promised.  And rather than calling for help (like Kenny), he just avoided and redirected.

From day one his quality was questionable.  I've never seen anything of his, aside from simple stuff like pressing, that was comparable to actual professionals.  

On 8/17/2024 at 11:55 AM, Sauce Dog said:

but everything I learned about him during my investigating showed he was making questionable decisions since the inception of the company combined with copious amount of lying.

On 8/16/2024 at 10:30 PM, sd2416 said:

On 8/16/2024 at 10:30 PM, sd2416 said:

Useless video that adds nothing. Like I need some guy in a video to read me an online article.  I wonder if that one goofball has finally taken down the videos where he was promoting and interviewing, Mike. 

On 8/17/2024 at 9:51 AM, joeypost said:

Given the recent events, it would be a Herculean effort for Mike to make a rebound, even in his personal life let alone his professional one. 

I know all of you who were financially impacted by Mike are happy with his incarceration and I hope you are made as whole as possible, but it is a sad day when a member of a community falls, especially one who was respected at one time. Mike fell, and he fell hard. 

So to be honest. I’m not happy either. I corresponded with Mike many years ago when he was still just in the practicing phase and still had an email address referring to his computer business. I’d even email him from time to time about books. (Is it possible to take ink - color rub - off a cover without restoration?). At the time the answer was no, but I know techniques have advanced since then. All I really wanted was my book back. After numerous unanswered calls and emails to him and his company and following the old thread about his personal issues (heart attack, covid, rabbid Chicken eating dogs) I still cut him slack. I loosely followed the old thread and then this new one until someone posted books that customers sent him were being sold on eBay without their knowledge or permission. And lo and behold I found my book. Completed sale, positive feedback left. Before going on this journey, I DMd Mike one last time and again - No response. Am I happy, no. Are other people - maybe(?). Bottom line is you should treat people fairly. And he did not. And now seeing all the shi++y work he did that Kenny is fixing. I doubt he had as much talent as he and others claimed. One of the guys that hit me up on the website stated that CGC determined   the book he sent Mike to restore and then was sent by Mike to be graded for the customer was in fact, a fuoking PHOTO COPY. So yeah. FxxK Mike. I have spoken! ;)

Edited by Neo "The One"
My grammar sux!

On 8/17/2024 at 6:27 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Whats stunning to me is the fact that he was doing this for so long and there weren’t more public alarm bells ringing. As connected as the online communities are… How is it that even people who were paying close attention didn’t know that he had peoples books for years and years? Not to blame the victims… But were they remaining silent out of fear of crossing Mike and not getting their books back? (which is what ended up happening anyway)

Yeah, partially the case as many might pick up on his spiteful nature to push jobs to the back of the queue if he is irritated with you (as he threatened in the previous threads and in some emails), but for many this was their first time ever working with a restoration professional on big books so they didn't know how long these things actually take and so the expectation of time was perhaps always assumed to be a very long process (and in this case perhaps longer because we all knew how he was basically the underdog in the business and cut him more slack)

I know I cut him lots of slack on the turnaround times because I wasn't paying for his services, our trade was I develop his website and he restores a book for me, so I figured he should be prioritizing other paid client work when he had too. The first time we did this deal he restored my Adventure Comics #42 and I think that took just under 2 years for him to finish, longer than I had hoped but nothing crazy that would put me off doing another trade deal with him afterwards (that one never got done. Sent to him at the start of 2020 and in 2024 I requested he send it another pro when all this exploded, but that process took months for him to finally mail it off).

On 8/17/2024 at 6:56 PM, Neo "The One" said:

One of the guys that hit me up on the website stated that CGC determined   the book he sent Mike to restore and then was sent by Mike to be graded for the customer was in fact, a fuoking PHOTO COPY. So yeah. FxxK Mike. I have spoken! ;)

My Dad is the one who received the forgery. I told him as soon as it happened to post on the CGC forum, but he refused because he was too afraid that he would destroy Mike's business and never get his comic back. He is in his late 70s and despite what I kept telling him, at the time, trusted Mike over CGC.  

A reporter called him on Friday asking questions about Mike, he replied back with no comment.

Edited by mmm68

On 8/17/2024 at 3:41 PM, KCOComics said:

What's funny is,  if you rewind 3, 4 or 5 years,  Hero seemed like the most professional option.  They looked (on the surface) like a business.

Kenny and Susan looked like one person shops who did a good job and earned their reputations.  Mike had multiple locations, a big staff, an efficient website.  

Now we see it was just a front. All the big jobs I've seen him perform are really questionable. And now we are learning he may have been selling customers books since the beginning...  

I'll add, i was warned to question his claims about a heart attack. - but I won't speak to his health. All I know is, the thread shows the problems started years and years before the heart attack. 

So I have changed my assumptions about Mike. The reason some of those big Jobs like the early Actions and Flash 1, sat for years and years wasn't because of health or being to busy. I think he wasn't skilled enough to do the work he promised.  And rather than calling for help (like Kenny), he just avoided and redirected.

Also the multiple bankruptcies is “sus” as the youngins say. 

Edited by Neo "The One"
Still can’t spell. had some liquid courage last night!