• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How was this graded a 9.8
2 2

6 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a Amazing Spider-man 298 CGC 9.8  and noticed upon inspection that the right corner of the book has a tear or missing piece.  I don't understand how CGC would have graded this a 9.8.  Unless it was manufacturing error. I have seen many 9.8's  of this book and I have seen any issues with the corners. I was wondering if someone can tell me is this normal should i get a refund. Or is this common with this book. I 20231109_101357.thumb.jpg.bfea992a79cbdfed81a28209f1c85125.jpg

s-l1200.webp

Hi Uncle and welcome to the boards! I would imagine this falls within the allowable range of having X number of small defects, (in this case a bindery defect,) on an otherwise perfect book. I don't know exactly what the number/range of allowable defects is on a 9.8 but remember, 9.8 is not Mint, just very close to it. 

On 11/9/2023 at 7:08 PM, unclephil said:

I recently purchased a Amazing Spider-man 298 CGC 9.8  and noticed upon inspection that the right corner of the book has a tear or missing piece.  I don't understand how CGC would have graded this a 9.8.  Unless it was manufacturing error. I have seen many 9.8's  of this book and I have seen any issues with the corners. I was wondering if someone can tell me is this normal should i get a refund. Or is this common with this book. I 20231109_101357.thumb.jpg.bfea992a79cbdfed81a28209f1c85125.jpg

s-l1200.webp

Comics can be damaged after being encased by CGC. It is known as SCS - Shaken Comic Syndrome - and can leave damage as pictured. Always buy the book - not the label! 

I see tons of  untouched books from that time period with ragged corners. Just poor cutting and flimsy paper.

That one looks to be the typical miscut corner. I think it was there at grading and viewed as a manufacturing defect, so a legit 9.8 as far as CGC is concerned. SCS damage looks different than that, usually has some sign of blunt force trauma, crumpling. 

As far as getting a refund, were you able to view the photos before you purchased?