• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comicart live Nov 2023 discussion
3 3

72 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2023 at 8:07 PM, Michael Browning said:

I took a look. Yikes.

Extremely aspirational pricing for the most part, though I did see a few bargains.

Too many retreads. Again.

Discounts, in many cases, aren’t real because prices are so jacked-up.

I really wanted to buy something, but there was no Crystar, Team America or U.S. 1. No Rom, either.

I did see a lot of great art, but the pricing made it appear that the owners want to keep it in their collections.

Don’t get me wrong — There were a few sellers who offered good art at very fair prices, but there were more who were trying to get rich by selling a single piece.

There was a really nice ROM page that Anthony put up. 

On 11/12/2023 at 9:27 PM, mtlevy1 said:

I haven't watched Bill's summary but I believe the past sales made $1M+...pretty sure this one is down at least 30%.  Sell-through is at `8% which I think was ~ 10% in the past but I could be wrong.

I feel it is an indication that people are a bit more cautious these days - also fixed price sales require a bit more faith or knowledge than an auction when things are not booming.

I sold 5 pieces so far with 2 more in trade talks and bought 4 so not so bad.
(Update one trade deal closed so 6 sold and 5 picked up)

It is worth going through the site - and there is a convenient search - which you can't do at a physical convention!

I think it's twofold. 1) Prices are way too high; 2) The quality and variety of pieces is not as good -- or is basically stuff that we have seen on eBay or other places in the past few months that have been languishing. 

On 11/15/2023 at 4:28 AM, timguerrero said:

I didn't know he owned part of CAF interesting.

Because I don't think he does.

This gets carelessly thrown around a lot, but after looking up the legal details of Collector's Network Inc, his name appears nowhere. I believe he loaned some money once.

On 11/16/2023 at 10:32 PM, redrighthand said:

Because I don't think he does.

This gets carelessly thrown around a lot,

Bill stated in one of the early CAF videos that Mike has a financial stake in CAF after Bill had to reassure users that there was no conflict of interest, that Mike has no access to price data (nor Bill). CAF, or Collector’s Network, Inc., has gone through a lot of changes lately, so whether Mike still has a stake in CAF today is another thing. (Bill explained that Mike “lent” him money for Bill’s ailing mini golf business, and in exchange Mike was given a stake. I’m also working off memory from like 3 years ago so expect some details to be off.)

I have enjoyed Comic Art Live over the last couple of years. I have picked a few pieces that I have conveted for years, plus other published art from series I had not read. Earlier this year in May CAL I bought four great pieces under $500. 
Last weekend I only bought a $20 prelim but I enjoyed looking thru all the art.  Looking forward to next years CAL.

On 11/16/2023 at 9:33 PM, Michael Browning said:

Yes. I saw it. He put it up on the second day, but it was twice the price it should have been.

Based on the upcoming heritage auction it’s probably not that highly priced. It’s a really good example of a Buscema Rom page. If I was prioritizing one, I’d probably figure out how to make a deal for it. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 11/18/2023 at 9:07 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Based on the upcoming heritage auction it’s probably not that highly priced. It’s a really good example of a Buscema Rom page. If I was prioritizing one, I’d probably figure out how to make a deal for it. 

I have one of the better pages from Rom #1.

On 11/23/2023 at 10:49 AM, Bill Cox said:

Really, George? I guess you finally made that move to Florida and have been looking over my shoulder while I've worked in Quickbooks this past year? 

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, yes Bill you are right. I made an inference based upon the proportion of ads to content on CAF, and I guess that was wrong. Cheers

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 11/25/2023 at 5:52 PM, Stefanomjr said:

Sold four pieces. Ghosted on one inquiry/offer. Overall had a good experience and look forward to next time. 

Thanks Bill.

Glad you had a good show.

It’s a fun time for sure - even with the lofty prices … I would price my art high as well, so I can’t complain.

It’s nice to just click around and explore art for an hour or two. Thanks to Bill Cox for the event and everyone who participated!