• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Transaction as a Comic Book Collector
1 1

28 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2023 at 3:33 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

What are you? A person from the future 😜

Read on if you dare 🤣 syntax and sentences.

I just traded something like 26 invincible slabs, 2X8.5's, 4X9.0's and the rest between 9.2/9.5!

That the LCS owner said himself was, "about $800 value?" For their 3 slabs priced at $250, $85&$80, even if they had charged me tax? It would have only equaled $449 that I got worth of stuff!

The cost of the slabs for me was $562, but I through in the $15 cgc box I brought the slabs in with doh! so call it $575! Loss $125

I didn't bring in the three to four I have left, which were the 9.8 or NM variants that I'll make that $125 loss back and make $150 profit, but pretty spot on @Comics4All

Ps. I have no idea what this thread is about 😂😆

@ADAMANTIUM You never know what any thread is about ! Never stopped ya before and never will! lol

P.P. The OP has no idea what you are talking about here, by the way!

On 11/15/2023 at 3:33 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

What are you? A person from the future 😜

Read on if you dare 🤣 syntax and sentences.

I just traded something like 26 invincible slabs, 2X8.5's, 4X9.0's and the rest between 9.2/9.6!

That the LCS owner said himself was, "about $800 value?" For their 3 slabs priced at $250, $85&$80, even if they had charged me tax? It would have only equaled $449 that I got worth of stuff!

The cost of the slabs for me was $562, but I threw in the $15 cgc box I brought the slabs in with doh! so call it $575! Loss $125

I didn't bring in the three to four I have left, which were the 9.8 or NM variants that I'll make that $125 loss back and make $150 profit, but pretty spot on @Comics4All

Ps. I have no idea what this thread is about 😂😆

Hey, if you're happy with the transaction then I think you did well, even without knowing what it is you traded for. Any trade of 26 slabs for 3 slabs is a good one in my book. These things do take up room.

On 11/15/2023 at 2:41 PM, Comics4All said:

@ADAMANTIUM You never know what any thread is about ! Never stopped ya before and never will! lol

P.P. The OP has no idea what you are talking about here, by the way!

ya I read up real quick, if original poster, it would be best if he posted actual scans from a printer in this part of the forum...

Hey buddy, can you spare a grade? - CGC Comic Book Collectors Chat Boards (cgccomics.com)

Scans of the books he bought, scans from a printer/scanner type.

People will give him feedback after seeing both front and back, explaining to him the difference between comic and card grading, which may be similar but comics may have more "factors to consider!"

On 11/15/2023 at 2:54 PM, Point Five said:

Hey, if you're happy with the transaction then I think you did well, even without knowing what it is you traded for. Any trade of 26 slabs for 3 slabs is a good one in my book. These things do take up room.

I got the Sandman #1 CGC 9.6 priced at $250

Marvel Fumetti Book #1 CGC 9.8 , which is a Stan Lee photo cover, along with photos on the cover of the rest of the bullpen.

And a double, which is now my under-copy of Star Wars #68

Spoiler

2023_11_072_28PMOfficeLens.jpg.47657a4204ce047d936ff1d5cd489152.jpg2023_11_072_26PMOfficeLens.jpg.5555ae34d557d50a1cca5bdcf8a58833.jpg2023_11_072_24PMOfficeLens.jpg.2689d20efe372cc81ecbaaa06bae2787.jpg2023_11_072_25PMOfficeLens.jpg.b2aca6c1a73d05fa6cfe89781a89593c.jpg

lol it's a tough break! I know of those 26 slabs I "traded" some would be a "hard sale or break even" market point, so I was willing to take the $125 loss for the LCS to sell them easier. Then avoiding the Ebay Sales tax form not sent, for stuff I wouldn't have made "profit" on, making a "tax form" just more "work" to explain I didn't owe anything lol 

And FYI this is the Invincible that I kept, which cost me $80, should sell eventually for at least $300, which is profit even after fees :):cheers:

Spoiler

GetImage.aspx?c=4260568&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=MTEvMTUvMjAyMyA0OjAyOjIwIFBN4260566_Full_Obv.jpg?t=NS84LzIwMjMgODoyMzozOSBQTQ==%22

I still kept bother My Noble Causes Family Secrets #3 cgc that are crazy cheap as a 1st cameo appearance, compared to what the 1st full appearance of Invincible goes for :insane:

I don't think @Oxdaddydid to bad, or I don't think the seller was a "scammer", but using tips in my last post and that others have mentioned will give him an idea of where we're coming from or at the very least explain our answers.

They did alright, just do the research now, with some estimates from examples in spare a grade part of the forum. Liniked earlier, that way when he goes to buy again, he'll have a better idea! :cheers: or at least be more confident and comforted :) 

On 11/15/2023 at 6:30 AM, AJD said:

Some time spent learning about comic grading will save you money and heartache in the future. 2c

No better way to learn, than lose $40-70 and get an 8.0. :blush:

On 11/15/2023 at 3:04 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Then avoiding the Ebay Sales tax form not sent, for stuff I wouldn't have made "profit" on, making a "tax form" just more "work" to explain I didn't owe anything lol 

And FYI this is the Invincible that I kept, which cost me $80, should sell eventually for at least $300, which is profit even after fees :):cheers:

Becoming a regular occurrence for me too. With them changing threshold for 1099s, still extra paperwork even if you sell at loss.

Edited by Le Chat Noir

Since I at the moment have no idea what this thread is about I thought I would elaborate . I love on Ebay when sellers that sell comic books expect you to come up with your own grade with no grade given because of the scans provided in the listing . Its not that they are doing anything wrong its that they aren't learning the craft they are in . So here is a guy that put 120.00 dollars on 2 books that are pretty neat all by themselves and he now has a opportunity to start to learn how to grade comic books which since he has experience from cards seems like a great idea . Take some back cover pics / scans and of the front also , list them on Hey Buddy can you spare a grade . This is the way to start learning and to see if you really want to pursue it , Bonus , those books for 120.00 might be the cog to a new way of making money or it might be your last adventure with comics , best of luck !

On 11/15/2023 at 1:48 PM, Point Five said:

Your first comic transaction and you've only lost $120, that's great! You're already ahead of most of the rest of us.  :applause:

I hear that. My very first transaction was a nightmare, and I actually ended up paying the guy who bought my comic.