• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giant-Size X-Men #1 Art....?????

21 posts in this topic

I'd definitely be asking for those "letters" from Wein and Cockrum along with the artwork.

That was the first thought to go through my mind as well. I'd also ask for the date the letters were sent and to what address the seller wrote to contact them. but if this is real - well - it is pretty real! grin.gif

It's a rough sketch that was lightboxed to the bristol paper or whatever paper they were using then. You want thicker darker lines since the paper obscures the faint lines and some lightboxes are better than others. I don't know how good lightboxes were back in the 70's.

If you blow up the sketch, you can see the under drawing. Look's pretty real to me.

Nightcrawler's uniform with the stylized X is pretty close to some of the modern uniforms.

Getting to view stuff like this is what makes eBay such a great place...

I'd also ask for the date the letters were sent and to what address the seller wrote to contact them.

Ask quick 'cause......"I will be away on Holiday from the 27th April to the 2nd May."

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

The thing about this auction that stands out and slaps me in the face ....is that the only other items this person has sold is action figures....I am not saying that this is not the real deal...just that I would need some COA in order to make a purchase such as this...

This actually came up on ebay months ago. I remember wondering the same thing then. And I wonder why it didn't sell then, as well. All questions to be asked. The cross-border issue, combined with general doubts, would probablly make me skittish.

I e-mailed Bob Rozakis who spent about 25 years at DC Comics and asked him if he could contact Len Wein for an independent verification about this eBay auction.

Unfortunately, we can't get confirmation from the man himself, Gil Kane.

I e-mailed Bob Rozakis who spent about 25 years at DC Comics and asked him if he could contact Len Wein for an independent verification about this eBay auction.

Excellent! Hopefully, he can provide some insight.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

IMHO the prelim Kane cover sketch should be legit. It originally sold about 1 yr ago on eBay for around $3,500 without the logo acetate overlay. Was later consigned to Heritage (this was probably when the title overlay was done), but don't think the reserve was met. U can check Heritage archive to verify if the latest eBay ad this week is a stolen scan.

This is legit. It was on sale last year and sold for $3,499. It is the preliminary drawing for GS X-Men 1, done by Kane. It was verified LAST year when it sold.

BTW - and Odin might remember this. In 1980 or 1981 the original cover for X-Men 94 was advertised in the Buyer's Guide for $200. Wonder who bought it???

Donut,

U & I know that $200 smackers in 1980 could have bought a long box worth of good selling hot comics for the next comicon or 6 raw nm Hulk 181s or several pages of vintage silver age Marvel /DC orig. comic art instead. C'est la vie. mad.gif

Donut, u live near comic book central. The 1980 comicons in Canada were full of Rom #1, Micronauts #1, X-men 120, 121, etc. Major Uncanny X-men keys were far between. It's a barren wasteland up in the Gr8 White North. We are the hewers of wood, fish & natural resources (oil). ooo.gifsmirk.gif

You're absolutely right about it being on Heritage. It's there in the Unsold archive in lot 7303 with the following description:

Gil Kane - Original Preliminary Cover Art for Giant Sized X-Men #1 (Marvel, 1975). Gil Kane's energetic pencil rough for the legendary cover of GSXM #1 is nothing short of amazing, and the power of these stalwart heroes is evident in their coiled muscles and the power of their movements, as they literally burst through the facade of the "old" X-Men to claim the comics industry as their own. No wonder this cover was such a pivotal event for legions of X-fans, and the lack of slick finishes puts even more emphasis on Kane's genius for composition. A stirring image, and certainly more affordable than the actual finished artwork! The logo stat is, of course, a reproduction, and has been mounted to the penciled page with tape. 11" x 16 1/2". Est. 5,000-up.

I assume they'd verify the authenticity before listing it for auction.