• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incomplete book - adding missing pages - conservation? universal?
3 3

28 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I bought DD #1 off eBay in universal 0.5 grade with page 12 missing. But I think that the book (cover and back) looks pretty nice - so I would say at least 3.0.
Would it make sense to try to find a coverless copy and complete the book? That would include removing staples (and cleaning & pressing). What do you think? Removing staples and (not only dry) cleaning would count only as conservation, right? So would that make sense in your opinion? 
Do you think it would be possible to do these tasks (staples, new pages, dry cleaning only) and still get the universal grade? I'm not saying that I would do it,  I'm just curious if anyone got away with this :-)

Thanks!

Edit:

P.S. If you noticed black spots on the back page, maybe from the rust on the bottom staple, I think it is fair to say that the book would need maybe leaf casting, a cleaned staple, and a deacidification bath to slow down further degradation. 

Edited by SuperSt4r

On 11/19/2023 at 11:30 AM, grendelbo said:

The book doesn't appear to be in high enough grade (VG range) to get a Qualified grade for the missing page.

However, if you marry a wrap to complete the missing page 12 it would get a Qualified grade.

It won't get a Universal or Conserved grade 

2c

To leave it as is, wouldn't it get a 0.5 grade as Incomplete?

On 11/19/2023 at 11:37 AM, Lightning55 said:

To leave it as is, wouldn't it get a 0.5 grade as Incomplete?

Yes, although I seem to remember that CGC is no longer designating books as incomplete (at least not in the labels).

As a blue label I believe it gets a 0.5 with a notation, just as the OP purchased it. They can't just ignore a missing page. Once it's encapsulated, no one would be able to check the page count, and presume complete unless noted.

And it probably is too low a grade for a Qualified label. Unless you marry in the missing page/wrap. If it is detected, that will trigger Qualified, but it will at least display its apparent grade. We need @The Lions Den to weigh in.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:51 PM, Lightning55 said:

As a blue label I believe it gets a 0.5 with a notation, just as the OP purchased it. They can't just ignore a missing page. Once it's encapsulated, no one would be able to check the page count, and presume complete unless noted.

And it probably is too low a grade for a Qualified label. Unless you marry in the missing page/wrap. If it is detected, that will trigger Qualified, but it will at least display its apparent grade. We need @The Lions Den to weigh in.

There is actually a note below the title: "Page 12 missing", but I'm not sure that the story is affected.

On 11/19/2023 at 9:56 PM, The Lions Den said:

Thanks for the notification, but you guys are on the right track. I just have a few random thoughts...

The grading notes would be helpful, ...

Thanks for weighing in! :goodvsevil:

Well, that's totally an error on my side,.. I did a check-up only on gocollect.com and they don't show grading notes. Here are the grading notes directly from CGC (and some comments/questions - financially it might not make sense to go for the conserved grade, but somehow I feel responsible for stopping the rusting process? :(): 

Grader Notes
chipping cover
missing interior part/page/wrap page(s) 12 does not affect story (OP: so that's positive :) )
tape stain interior front cover (OP: seems like someone did try to remove the tape? For conservation = should be completely removed, right?)
moderate staining to cover (OP: dry/wet cleaning might help) 
moderate staple rust (OP: shouldn't that trigger the conservation process?)
moderate tanning cover (OP: dry/wet cleaning might help) 
moderate tanning interior cover (OP: dry/wet cleaning might help) 
multiple tear cover 
Edited by SuperSt4r

On 11/19/2023 at 4:04 PM, SuperSt4r said:

Well, that's totally an error on my side,.. I did a check-up only on gocollect.com and they don't show grading notes. Here are the grading notes directly from CGC (and some comments/questions - financially it might not make sense to go for the conserved grade, but somehow I feel responsible for stopping the rusting process? :(): 

Grader Notes
chipping cover
missing interior part/page/wrap page(s) 12 does not affect story (OP: so that's positive :) )
tape stain interior front cover (OP: seems like someone did try to remove the tape? For conservation = should be completely removed, right?)
multiple tear cover 

There are some folks here on the boards that could probably help you with some (if not all) of these issues. I suppose it just depends on how much money you're willing to spend...  hm

On 11/19/2023 at 2:04 PM, SuperSt4r said:

Grader Notes
chipping cover
multiple tear cover 

You can stop the rusting process by just keeping it in a dry place.  Everything else you're proposing is way overkill.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.  

On 11/20/2023 at 2:05 PM, buttock said:

Everything else you're proposing is way overkill.  Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.  

This. ^ If the book presented as a 8.0, I could maybe understand sinking the kind of time and money you describe into it. But this is a low-grader either way, and you'd be looking at a qualified label. I don't think you'd be adding much (if any at all) value to it.

On 11/20/2023 at 8:05 PM, buttock said:

You can stop the rusting process by just keeping it in a dry place.  ...  

(thumbsu that sounds easy... let's see how it looks when I get it, but I'm sure I'll find other books to practice on.

Edited by SuperSt4r

On 11/19/2023 at 5:56 PM, SuperSt4r said:

Hey guys, I bought DD #1 off eBay in universal 0.5 grade with page 12 missing. But I think that the book (cover and back) looks pretty nice - so I would say at least 3.0.
Would it make sense to try to find a coverless copy and complete the book? That would include removing staples (and cleaning & pressing). What do you think? Removing staples and (not only dry) cleaning would count only as conservation, right? So would that make sense in your opinion? 
Do you think it would be possible to do these tasks (staples, new pages, dry cleaning only) and still get the universal grade? I'm not saying that I would do it,  I'm just curious if anyone got away with this :-)

Thanks!

Edit:

P.S. If you noticed black spots on the back page, maybe from the rust on the bottom staple, I think it is fair to say that the book would need maybe leaf casting, a cleaned staple, and a deacidification bath to slow down further degradation. 

Completing the book seems like a reasonable idea. Removing staples, cleaning and pressing, if carried out carefully, are generally considered conservation measures. I did something similar once, but it took much longer than I expected. I had to find a college papers for sale, I used college essay service for help. So expect this to take time. It is also worth considering that any changes to the structure may affect the conservation status of the collectible.

Edited by paulinehepburn