• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Updating values for my errors, err, heirs

2 posts in this topic

I've previously posted that I buy mainly pre-code comic books to read and enjoy, and not for any commercial gain.  The only time I might let one go is if I upgrade.  

That said, the books will be with me until the time they carry me out, tits and toes up.  Although I have a few books obtained in the '50's, I didn't casually start collecting until the '70's, and then with the advent of the internet and eBay, earnestly in the later '90's, for another 10 years or so, then once in awhile to the present time.  The prices I paid for reader copies, mostly VG, were largely in the lower double digits.  I'll put a small sticker on the backside of the Mylar sleeve for each book, having the grade and cost notated.

With the general post pandemic inflation and astounding rise in many pre-code book values,  I thought it might be wise to copy auction results displaying what some of the more sought after book values are now at, and put them behind the backing board, inside the sleeve.  Of course I will be showing my kids some of them, so if they sell, they'll be aware that what I paid may be vastly different than what the current market supports.

Just last year I paid $528 for an EC Tales of Terror annual in VG, and the current auction displays a similar one selling for $1920.  a Witches Tales I bought for $38 now going for $4320, and a Witchcraft that set me back $80 now fetching $1560, one grade less.  Some years ago a Mister Mystery 12 sold on The Bay for $3530 in G condition.  I had bought that issue in 1973 for $2, same condition.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled 1.jpg

Edited by fifties