• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Request To Remove Chip Cataldo From The HOS
7 7

72 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2023 at 11:47 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Just as all my transgressions were researched thoroughly all over the internet and posted here, I'm sure people can find the stuff from last year when I reached out on the forum and paid people here back that wanted to be paid back. Kav, Sharon, Beige, Bird were amongst the people made whole. I also left things open that if anyone knew of someone that wanted a donation refund or had missed my initial outreach, they could contact me at any time to work something out. That remains the status of it all and something I'll continue to do moving forward. 

Here's the thing. 

If you're serious and sincere about providing restitution to the people who gave you money under false pretenses, you have to go to all of them directly, personally, and specifically. 

Posting on a message board in 2022 regarding refunding money raised in 2017 and waiting for people (who may not be a member of the boards any more, or may not be active any more) to to see the post 5 years later is something that looks like doing the right thing but it's not. It's putting the onus on the victim to see it, find you, reach out to you, demand restitution, etc. 

What people who are sincere in their efforts to make every single person whole do, is to reach out to them all directly & personally, via the contact information provided in the fundraiser donations they made, and place the onus on yourself to get that done. 

Sincere action means the movement comes from the person making up for the past bad acts.

Sitting back and only making up for it if someone finds you six years later is something that sounds like it's meant to be positive but, really, feels like NOT taking responsibility to really do everything that should be done. I hope you take that as advice and not an insult because, if you really want to make things right, you need to do more. 

On 11/27/2023 at 11:30 AM, comix4fun said:

Here's the thing. 

If you're serious and sincere about providing restitution to the people who gave you money under false pretenses, you have to go to all of them directly, personally, and specifically. 

Posting on a message board in 2022 regarding refunding money raised in 2017 and waiting for people (who may not be a member of the boards any more, or may not be active any more) to to see the post 5 years later is something that looks like doing the right thing but it's not. It's putting the onus on the victim to see it, find you, reach out to you, demand restitution, etc. 

What people who are sincere in their efforts to make every single person whole do, is to reach out to them all directly & personally, via the contact information provided in the fundraiser donations they made, and place the onus on yourself to get that done. 

Sincere action means the movement comes from the person making up for the past bad acts.

Sitting back and only making up for it if someone finds you six years later is something that sounds like it's meant to be positive but, really, feels like NOT taking responsibility to really do everything that should be done. I hope you take that as advice and not an insult because, if you really want to make things right, you need to do more. 

Forgive me if I was not clear. That was done last year. My last statement in my post was a catch-all just in case I missed anyone. As far as everyone who donated, a lot were family and friends. A low percentage were people from the boards. If people I reached out to didn't respond there's not much I can do about that. People that wanted a refund got one, people that didn't were fine whether they knew me and knew the actual story of what happened with the money or they were fine with where I am now in my life. People that didn't respond I have zero idea why.

I'm not "sitting back" on anything. I came forward on the forum last year and told people I'd pay them back. Then I immediately paid them back. That's taking responsibility. I could have not said anything and not paid anyone back. I understand where you're coming from, but that's not what happened nor is it what's happening now. All I meant was that if I missed anyone, come forward and I'll pay you back. That's the situation moving forward.

On 11/27/2023 at 10:41 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Forgive me if I was not clear. That was done last year. My last statement in my post was a catch-all just in case I missed anyone. As far as everyone who donated, a lot were family and friends. A low percentage were people from the boards. If people I reached out to didn't respond there's not much I can do about that. People that wanted a refund got one, people that didn't were fine whether they knew me and knew the actual story of what happened with the money or they were fine with where I am now in my life. People that didn't respond I have zero idea why.

I'm not "sitting back" on anything. I came forward on the forum last year and told people I'd pay them back. Then I immediately paid them back. That's taking responsibility. I could have not said anything and not paid anyone back. I understand where you're coming from, but that's not what happened nor is it what's happening now. All I meant was that if I missed anyone, come forward and I'll pay you back. That's the situation moving forward.

Yes, you were unclear. 

You said you posted to the boards, reached out on the forum, that didn't sound like going to every person individually. 
This additional detail was needed.
Putting the details of the PayPal loan repayment, or that some of the cash would go to buying comics, etc., in the original funding plea would have likely eliminated the need for any of it. 

On 11/27/2023 at 11:47 AM, comix4fun said:

Yes, you were unclear. 

You said you posted to the boards, reached out on the forum, that didn't sound like going to every person individually. 
This additional detail was needed.
Putting the details of the PayPal loan repayment, or that some of the cash would go to buying comics, etc., in the original funding plea would have likely eliminated the need for any of it. 

One of the many mistakes I made, and I'm sorry for all of them. I made a lot of them, both on this forum and off but the only thing I can do now is move forward and be the best person I can be. It's really turned my life around in "real life" so I'm sure that eventually I'll be where I should be here on the forum as well. I appreciate your understanding and the civility of your last few posts. I know you dislike (not sure if that's the right word) me.

On 11/27/2023 at 10:50 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

One of the many mistakes I made, and I'm sorry for all of them. I made a lot of them, both on this forum and off but the only thing I can do now is move forward and be the best person I can be. It's really turned my life around in "real life" so I'm sure that eventually I'll be where I should be here on the forum as well. I appreciate your understanding and the civility of your last few posts. I know you dislike (not sure if that's the right word) me.

I distrust you. I dislike your actions. And that made me distrust you.
Trust is hard earned and easily lost, and it's the commodity I hold in highest regard.
Hopefully you're sincere and this all keeps you on the right track. 

On 11/27/2023 at 11:54 AM, comix4fun said:

I distrust you. I dislike your actions. And that made me distrust you.
Trust is hard earned and easily lost, and it's the commodity I hold in highest regard.
Hopefully you're sincere and this all keeps you on the right track. 

Thank you for your advice. If you'd like sometime I could PM you a little bit of "hard proof" that I've turned things around, at least as far as what direction my previous actions around the internet went in. If you're only interested in how I am around the forum then that's fine by me. I'll just continue to post about comics, which I still love.

On 11/27/2023 at 10:58 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Thank you for your advice. If you'd like sometime I could PM you a little bit of "hard proof" that I've turned things around, at least as far as what direction my previous actions around the internet went in. If you're only interested in how I am around the forum then that's fine by me. I'll just continue to post about comics, which I still love.

I'll pass. I've been present in all the other groups, not just this one, for everything in the past. I've heard a lot of words over a lot of years to explain a lot of things to promise even more things...what happened, what didn't happen, what won't happen again. Save the energy you'd use proving something to me to fixing things, if that's truly the goal.

On 11/27/2023 at 12:23 PM, comix4fun said:

I'll pass. I've been present in all the other groups, not just this one, for everything in the past. I've heard a lot of words over a lot of years to explain a lot of things to promise even more things...what happened, what didn't happen, what won't happen again. Save the energy you'd use proving something to me to fixing things, if that's truly the goal.

No worries at all, just thought I'd offer it up since it wasn't words I was going to give. I'll continue my efforts along the path I'm on.

Thanks again for the discourse.

On 11/22/2023 at 5:12 PM, Math Teacher said:

Who are you to decide how being on or off a list on a message board impacts Chip's mental health?

As a person who suffers from depression, it's not as easy as you think to not allow things to bother you. Trust me, based on 40+ years of experience, it's not like you can turn things off and on like a light switch. I have gone around and around with various counselors regarding how I need to change how I react to things. It always revolves around how I need to change my behavior, and it's never about the person who's causing the problem changing his/her behavior.

We all have our own idiosyncrasies, and something that bothers me might not bother you at all, and vice versa. I don't know how many times someone has said to me, "Why are you making such a big deal about this?" Here's why - because it IS a big deal to me, and no one has the right to tell me how I should feel about something.

Mental health is a terribly misunderstood problem in this country. I sincerely hope you have not had to deal with your own mental health issues, but even if you have, I don't think it's appropriate for you to comment in any way regarding another person's mental health issues.

I wasn't even a board member when all this brouhaha with this Chip occurred. But if taking him off this "list" helps him feel better about himself, then I think taking him off this "list" is a good idea. As it is clear that this really bothers you, you can become the "Chip is not allowed to sell on this board" sheriff.

As you can tell, it bothers me greatly when people make light of other people's mental health issues. And no, I have NO intention of changing how I react to this.

😂 I am not sure anyone cares how you react to this, let alone spend any amount of time trying to change how you react to this. Get over yourself.

Edited by bluehorseshoe

On 12/21/2023 at 4:54 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

😂 I am not sure anyone cares how you react to this, let alone spend any amount of time trying to change how you react to this. Get over yourself.

A little late to the party, eh? Next time, I suggest that you read further in the thread before you post.

On 11/26/2023 at 4:47 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Just as all my transgressions were researched thoroughly all over the internet and posted here, I'm sure people can find the stuff from last year when I reached out on the forum and paid people here back that wanted to be paid back. Kav, Sharon, Beige, Bird were amongst the people made whole. I also left things open that if anyone knew of someone that wanted a donation refund or had missed my initial outreach, they could contact me at any time to work something out. That remains the status of it all and something I'll continue to do moving forward. 

Yes - Chip repaid in full plus something on top.