• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Absorene Dry Dirt Eraser and colors
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner cleaner, so I'm trying to figure out something, recently I started to notice that Absorene Dry Dirt Eraser is lifting up colors (especially black). The strange thing is that I never noticed that before.

It depends on a book, and I can't understand what the reason is. It happens even with old ones.

Is it possible that it is because of humidity in my house? Or am I pushing too hard?

Sometimes, I even can see wet stains on a black color after absorene sponge use.

Thanks for all the answers.

photo_2023-11-22_20-27-19.jpg

Edited by maxlastman

On 11/23/2023 at 4:29 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Thank you, 

I'm talking about dry sponge, not absorene itself. 

Still haven't found detailed information about how absorene sponge works in apartments with large humidity or how it works with different types of paper. 
I assume there was no research, because I haven't found anything about it yet in any guide. And i've read a lot. Usually it is just precaution to not use it with modern comics books because of glossiness.

It could be a pressure issue, but usually I'm being careful and I had good results in past cleaning. And because personally I didn't change anything in my technique I think it could be a humidity issue. Maybe I'm missing something.

In attach. color transfering to sponge

photo_2023-11-23_17-38-12.jpg

Edited by maxlastman

On 11/23/2023 at 10:29 AM, marvelmaniac said:

lol I do not remember starting that thread over a decade ago. Funny how times change...

For most comics absorene is not worth the effort/results. Much better alternatives exist....

Edited by Phill the Governor

On 11/23/2023 at 6:52 PM, Phill the Governor said:

lol I do not remember starting that thread over a decade ago. Funny how times change...

For most comics absorene is not worth the effort/results. Much better alternatives exist....

Ok, thanks, any known alternatives? 

On 11/23/2023 at 6:28 PM, joeypost said:

Do more research. 

I'll do it. Eventually I could find the source of the problem by myself, but I think it is fine to ask people who have already done it for years. 

It is not top secret info right? ;)

Edited by maxlastman

On 11/23/2023 at 2:03 PM, maxlastman said:

I'll do it. Eventually I could find the source of the problem by myself, but I think it is fine to ask people who have already done it for years. 

Very few things are top secret, but it doesn’t mean everyone is good at it either. 

On 11/23/2023 at 11:03 AM, maxlastman said:

I would guess it is more of a trade secret than top secret. There are many here who do this (cleaning/pressing comics) as a profession, not a hobby.

On 11/23/2023 at 9:34 PM, Black_Adam said:

I would guess it is more of a trade secret than top secret. There are many here who do this (cleaning/pressing comics) as a profession, not a hobby.

"All Right Then, Keep Your Secrets"

New people will appear, it how life works. Everyone was an amateur at some point. 

Edited by maxlastman

On 11/23/2023 at 11:16 AM, maxlastman said:

Thank you, 

Still haven't found detailed information about how absorene sponge works in apartments with large humidity or how it works with different types of paper. 
I assume there was no research, because I haven't found anything about it yet in any guide. And i've read a lot. Usually it is just precaution to not use it with modern comics books because of glossiness.

It could be a pressure issue, but usually I'm being careful and I had good results in past cleaning. And because personally I didn't change anything in my technique I think it could be a humidity issue. Maybe I'm missing something.

Don't use that sponge itself for cleaning covers...use it to clean your erasers on that are being used on the cover :D 

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 11/23/2023 at 9:16 AM, maxlastman said:

Thank you, 

Anything you rub on inks is going to remove the ink.  I don't know of anyone who is using this sponge in the manner that you are.