• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cgc 9.6 with missing piece?
3 3

10 posts in this topic

image.thumb.jpg.74ee3acd8821ee4ee7a191fdf61978b9.jpgJust bought online a cgc 9.6 slab with a missing piece off the back cover.  I’ve sent a photo with registry number back to the submission dept

Waiting to hear back.

While I’m waiting, does anybody out here know if its possible to have a 9.6 book with missing pieces?

or do I need to pursue this as a sealing mishap or a tampering issue?

I got a Wolverine Limited #1 back from CGC a while back that was graded 9.8 despite the piece missing on the back top corner. CGC graders confirmed that this was a manufacturing error for this particular print run. The small gripper tears are a more common manufacturer defect.

385403670_Wolverine1a.jpg.41e86d86e3cf54ba06b75caa0bf55b5f.jpg

On 11/23/2023 at 12:39 PM, CJH-69 said:

image.thumb.jpg.74ee3acd8821ee4ee7a191fdf61978b9.jpgJust bought online a cgc 9.6 slab with a missing piece off the back cover.  I’ve sent a photo with registry number back to the submission dept

Waiting to hear back.

While I’m waiting, does anybody out here know if its possible to have a 9.6 book with missing pieces?

or do I need to pursue this as a sealing mishap or a tampering issue?

It's amazing what's allowable these days...  

On 11/23/2023 at 12:39 PM, CJH-69 said:

Small chips are allowable but it's always going to depend on the size of the chip and what the rest of the book looks like. If the book is a 9.6 before factoring in the chips, the book will likely downgrade.

If the book is much nicer than a 9.6 but those two tiny chips are the only defect, then the 9.6 is a realistic grade and consistent with CGC's grading standards over the last 20 years. 

There a myriad of factors and it's impossible to tell without seeing the entire book...and for super high grades, seeing the book in hand is really the only way to be sure. 

On 11/24/2023 at 5:08 PM, VintageComics said:

Small chips are allowable but it's always going to depend on the size of the chip and what the rest of the book looks like. If the book is a 9.6 before factoring in the chips, the book will likely downgrade.

If the book is much nicer than a 9.6 but those two tiny chips are the only defect, then the 9.6 is a realistic grade and consistent with CGC's grading standards over the last 20 years. 

There a myriad of factors and it's impossible to tell without seeing the entire book...and for super high grades, seeing the book in hand is really the only way to be sure. 

Folks, if you can't see the back of the slab, then probably best not to purchase the book.   I'm talking to you Comiclink!

On 11/24/2023 at 9:08 PM, MAR1979 said:

Folks, if you can't see the back of the slab, then probably best not to purchase the book.   I'm talking to you Comiclink!

Especially if the back of a book graded 9.8 looks like this.  Can't imagine anyone except the submitter will ever be happy owning it.

image.thumb.png.2f562598f49cd6b69e61daf3ff0734ad.png