• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile high comics prices
3 3

130 posts in this topic

For anyone who has bought from them, does "NM" actually mean Near Mint as in very minor to no spine ticks and no other big issues? I've seen some online comic stores list comics as NM and when I receive them, they're F to VF at best. In other words, how likely will I get a 9.8 out of a NM from these guys?

Edited by FigaroToe

On 2/12/2024 at 3:05 PM, FigaroToe said:

For anyone who has bought from them, does "NM" actually mean Near Mint as in very minor to no spine ticks and no other big issues? I've seen some online comic stores list comics as NM and when I receive them, they're F to VF at best. In other words, how likely will I get a 9.8 out of a NM from these guys?

I would request pictures and judge for yourself.

In my experience, a Mile High NM is likely a VF. Sometimes you may get lucky and get an actual NM. 

I suspect the books are "bag graded" at best. With the volume he has, certainly not every book is opened and carefully reviewed for grading. 

Blind squirrel finding a nut territory or a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Want mostly accurate graded raw? Then avoid the 5280 feet up folks and try mycomicshop or worldwide comics

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/12/2024 at 12:47 PM, MAR1979 said:

Blind squirrel finding a nut territory or a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Want mostly accurate graded raw? Then avoid the 5280 feet up folks and try mycomicshop or worldwide comics

On 2/12/2024 at 12:35 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

In my experience, a Mile High NM is likely a VF. Sometimes you may get lucky and get an actual NM. 

I suspect the books are "bag graded" at best. With the volume he has, certainly not every book is opened and carefully reviewed for grading. 

On 2/12/2024 at 12:23 PM, KCOComics said:

I would request pictures and judge for yourself.

Appreciate the comments, I'll pass for now and look elsewhere

On 2/12/2024 at 8:35 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Many of the NM / M copies I bought in the early 90s were around VF / NM for back issues, NM or better for new comics.  One or two of the back issue “NM / M” copies had corner crunches, but most of what I bought were $ 1 to $ 2 comics from their Specials section, and so they wouldn’t consider it worthwhile to grade by giving more than a quick glance at best, or simply have them picked from a bulk pile.

Very patchy even then, but hardly nightmarishly bad, either.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I made two NM purchases from Mile High, on eBay. All three Magazines and boards had a lower right corner crunch. I even asked for boxed shipment of the second order. Instead, the books were shipped in the same type of paper envelope as the first order was. To make things worse, I was charged twenty dollars to ship the two mags. in that envelope. That was my last purchase from Mile High.

Edited by Artifiction

On 2/14/2024 at 9:15 AM, Nick Furious said:

Do you currently buy from Mycomicshop.com?  Never had an issue with their grading.  

Their grading is super tight.  I'm confident that just about anything I buy from them below 8.0ish would grade at least a half point, and sometimes a full point, higher most anywhere else.

On 2/14/2024 at 9:15 AM, Nick Furious said:

Do you currently buy from Mycomicshop.com?  Never had an issue with their grading.  

They have a well-earned reputation for super strict grading, and most of their books are undergraded. That is a win for the buyer sometimes, but since people know this they tend to also overbid on books. At the end of the day I think the undergrading has a lot to do with protecting again returns (which is great), but it does not necessarily always mean a fantastic deal if it is in an auction format. 

Edited by Stefan_W