• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mile high comics prices
3 3

130 posts in this topic

On 11/24/2023 at 4:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm going to rant, I can feel it, but off my chest it goes.

Are they same price on eBay as site?

I know Dave and Adams and mycomicshop up the price for eBay, which makes it cheaper on site...

But I ask because there is a similar site called collectors comics... That has same price with both eBay and on site, however on site they have best offer as well ❤️‍🩹 

Is anyone familiar enough with collectors comics? To know if their best offer is reliable or quick to respond? And or idk who to tag, but is minus eBay fees as a best offer on the site (since no price difference) considered a fair offer?

Haven't looked into it in detail, but I can't imagine the prices being too far off. Would imagine them to be higher due to the eBay fees, and also, no Black Friday sale.

On 11/24/2023 at 1:19 AM, stormflora said:

From what I've seen, there's definitely an overall upcharge on everything, but that's the cost you pay for having a wider selection to choose from. You're really supposed to only buy when there's a sale, like the current Black Friday one.

:gossip:That's pretty much all the time.

On 11/24/2023 at 1:51 AM, Math Teacher said:

Just as Chuck has the right to sell books at the prices he sees fit, @BA773 has the same right to speak out about them being overpriced.

I would find it interesting to find out just how many books he sells in a month. Does he also sell current comics, or is he strictly a back issue dealer?

I have never been to his store, nor do I have any desire to visit it. 

Dont worry you will find everything you want, Batman Rebirth #1 only 25  dollars, great condition!  :roflmao:Screenshot_20231125-082850_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f7b455f0da18ef49385f58999764fba2.jpg

On 11/24/2023 at 2:26 AM, Falcon760 said:

I'd certainly pay a premium for a NM copy of a good book I've been looking for, even a modern book for convenience sake, but the problem is that the grading is not correct.  Comics sold as "NM" aren't NM.  So basically they're charging a premium for books that may or may not be in the condition they're listing.  In my opinion, they just don't really care either way, and you can't really check because there are no pictures.  It's just not worth it to shop there.  Ever.  

:deadhorse:

On 11/24/2023 at 3:15 AM, stormflora said:

Side note: I took a look at Mile High's online store just now, and noticed that they're having a 60% off all-store Black Friday sale. So maybe there's some hope.

However, MyComicShop is also preparing for a Black Friday sale, of some amount which I've forgotten already. It's going to be interesting. Definitely going to see if I can pick up some Tom & Jerry for dirt cheap.

In terms of what I've found at Mile High, although I could fill gaps, it would be mostly with Fair-graded stuff, which is super suspicious. But I have found some acceptably priced issues here and there are at least Good, so I'll see if I can meet their minimum for free shipping.

Is it a joke? Do the math please, are you winning to get a comics which is for sale at 10× his value even if you get 60% reduce on it? If you want to have a good deal on his page it have to be a 1000% reduce...

On 11/24/2023 at 4:06 AM, stormflora said:

I've already made a handful of orders from MCS already, and I am certainly just as content. However, it's always the Good area that makes me ponder a bit, as I don't want a comic that ends up looking awful on the cover. But sometimes with older comics, you don't have much of a choice.

In any case, since I would be 14 issues closer to completing my collection, and the average cost isn't awful, I will bite the bullet and give MHC a single shot. There is a massive eBay lot I'm preparing to bid on with a high price as it'll fill a significant amount of gaps in my series, so I'll just consider it averaging down.

I'll report back with how the order turns out once it arrives.

Side note: A thought just came to mind. I think the reason why MHC wants to keep a large inventory is because it would look good in the store to physical customers, many of which don't know much about comics or valuations and would simply buy at face value. It's kind of like how you'd go into a store, buy something that you think is priced fairly, and then later realize it's actually half the cost online. The mail order might not even be MHC's main focus.

Please dont sue me for had created this topic after that you received your books...:fear:

You said that you're worried by the grade and you're bought some books not better than "good" which is alreary considered a poor condition and more of that you bought to someone who overgrade them books and sell them to ridiculous high price... sorry but here i just can imagine the worst...

On 11/24/2023 at 6:09 AM, ttfitz said:

While I don't disagree with a lot of the criticism of Mile High, one thing people around here don't seem to recognize is that he's got a pretty large selection of (relatively) inexpensive comics available. As mentioned earlier, the website is awful to navigate, but he appears to have a minimum of around 20,000 individual issue numbers available at under $5, so under $2 with the frequent "codeword" sales.

Yes and what is the condition of these books... i can have every modern drek for this price in Near Mint condition

On 11/24/2023 at 7:19 AM, stormflora said:

From what I've seen, there's definitely an overall upcharge on everything, but that's the cost you pay for having a wider selection to choose from. You're really supposed to only buy when there's a sale, like the current Black Friday one.

As consumers, we aren't really seeing the big picture. He runs a business. Business functions to make money. If business has existed for all this time, chances are, it's making money.

As for why, I think it's because of the physical customers, rich collectors, and huge mail orders from whales.

Is essentially a gift shop for the people passing through who know nothing about comics and just want to bring something back from their vacation.

On 11/24/2023 at 8:56 AM, stormflora said:

In other news, decided that I'm not going to buy from MHC after all. Don't like how PayPal isn't an option, and I'm not sure what to expect buying slightly overpriced Good graded issues. Found some testimonials searching around talking about how MHC overgrades Silver Age and older comics, which isn't promising to know. So I wouldn't be surprised if their Good is actually a Fair. Maybe with actual photos I'd be more inclined to purchase, but without any, it's a pass from me. I'm not going to buy blind.

You made the best decision, congrats. :cheers:

One could imagine that Chuck, having discovered and set free the Edgar Church collection, might have a sensitivity to selling at market prices based on that experience. However, there is a vast difference between the market then and now, and the rarity of the different inventories cannot be compared.  :foryou:

On 11/23/2023 at 3:44 PM, BA773 said:

LOL

Is it someone who buy at these guys?

Every modern drek are priced for 20 dollar or more. Every keys are priced for at least 3x the value... 

I want to understand the concept. Is it some rich people who buy to this place to be proud of spending a lot of money? This is make no sense

This is a pretty old topic at this point because them being overpriced is part of their gimmick, and they dont care. They don't want to be competitive in terms of pricing, they want to be the place where you are sure to find what you are looking for. 

On 11/25/2023 at 1:52 PM, William-James88 said:

This is a pretty old topic at this point because them being overpriced is part of their gimmick, and they dont care. They don't want to be competitive in terms of pricing, they want to be the place where you are sure to find what you are looking for. 

...and yet, most of the people that post here, don't. :smile: They aren't as comprehensive as they want people to think.

On 11/25/2023 at 1:52 PM, William-James88 said:

On 11/25/2023 at 2:05 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

...and yet, most of the people that post here, don't. :smile: They aren't as comprehensive as they want people to think.

It really depends on what you're looking for, just like any other store. They'll either have a lot of what you need, or none at all, whether it is because they did not manage to secure any issues, or because they had already sold them to someone else.

On 11/25/2023 at 2:05 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Yeah, but that you doesn't matter since they dont cater to us. They are more interested in looking like a comic book Mecca destination. Images of their warehouse get posted every now and again on the various Comic book facebook groups I'm in with people posting " wish I worked there" or "will be sure to visit" or whatever, and I don't see that for other shops, at least not on the same level.

Every hobby has this type of store which is more about becoming an attraction in itself. 

On 11/25/2023 at 2:23 PM, William-James88 said:

Yeah, but that you doesn't matter since they dont cater to us. They are more interested in looking like a comic book Mecca destination. Images of their warehouse get posted every now and again on the various Comic book facebook groups I'm in with people posting " wish I worked there" or "will be sure to visit" or whatever, and I don't see that for other shops, at least not on the same level.

Every hobby has this type of store which is more about becoming an attraction in itself. 

I definitely got this vibe from research around MHC. They want to look like the biggest brick and mortar comic store in America. And the only way to do that is to have a lot of stock. They are clearly catering to upscale buyers, or physical customers who don't know much about price and just care about the look of the comic.

On 11/25/2023 at 2:16 PM, stormflora said:

It really depends on what you're looking for, just like any other store. They'll either have a lot of what you need, or none at all, whether it is because they did not manage to secure any issues, or because they had already sold them to someone else.

I get that, but no other store uses that business model...which is my opinion is ridiculous. Deliberately overprice everything just because it's difficult to restock those items? If Chuck was more concerned about cash flow he'd be a billionaire. Lol

On 11/25/2023 at 2:53 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I get that, but no other store uses that business model...which is my opinion is ridiculous. Deliberately overprice everything just because it's difficult to restock those items? If Chuck was more concerned about cash flow he'd be a billionaire. Lol

Eh, it may be unique to the comic scene, but it isn't unique to retail business in general. It's quite common amongst supermarkets and department stores, actually. However, it is somewhat contingent on offering good customer service and a welcoming atmosphere, which seems to be lacking in this case, based on what people have described here and on Google Maps xD