• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8.0 Criteria?
4 4

25 posts in this topic

I’ve been trying to get up to speed with being able to effectively grade comics, and picked up a copy of the Official CGC Guide to Grading Comics.

On Page 288 it describes the criteria for an 8.0.  I was surprised that a piece of around 1/2” by 1/2” could be missing on the cover.  Also that a punch hole would be allowed, or a 1” or 2” cover crease.

is that accurate?  I’ve never seen defects like that on an 8.0 (especially that large of a piece missing).  I would have expected to see any of those only in 7.0 or lower.

thanks

You cannot have a piece missing from the cover or binder holes in a VF 8.0 unless as already stated that book would have been a NM+ 9.6 or NM/MT 9.8 to begin with.

As far as just pieces missing from the cover(s), there is not even a mention of pieces missing until you get to VG 4.0.

VG 4.0 - As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. 

GD/VG 3.0 - A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. 

GD 2.0 - The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square,

FR/GD 1.5 - Up to 1/10 of the back cover may be missing.

FR 1.0 -  there may be up to 1/4 of the front cover missing or no back cover, but not both. 

8.0 VERY FINE (VF):  Back to Top
An excellent copy with outstanding eye appeal. A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners. Inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity. An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. Spine is almost completely flat with a possible minor color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present. Paper is cream to tan and supple. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

From The Overstreet Grading Guide, as you can see under "missing pieces" it states, "none allowed"

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

Edited by marvelmaniac

I'm in line with the OSPG criteria on VF. I might allow for as much as 1/4" color-breaking crease if the book was perfect otherwise, but never a missing corner. A tiny bindery chip at the top or bottom of spine would be acceptable. If a book had tan and supple pages though, I'd probably put a minus after the VF, I think VF should have cream pages at the least.

I'm a big fan of the approach in which a preponderance of defects, or a major defect, is an automat disqualification above a certain level. For example. if a book has almost every defect allowable in Fine, the book is ineligible for Fine. Same for most of the other grades, especially as they progress downward. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/27/2023 at 9:44 AM, marvelmaniac said:

You cannot have a piece missing from the cover or binder holes in a VF 8.0 unless as already stated that book would have been a NM+ 9.6 or NM/MT 9.8 to begin with.

As far as just pieces missing from the cover(s), there is not even a mention of pieces missing until you get to VG 4.0.

VG 4.0 - As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. 

GD/VG 3.0 - A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. 

GD 2.0 - The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square,

FR/GD 1.5 - Up to 1/10 of the back cover may be missing.

FR 1.0 -  there may be up to 1/4 of the front cover missing or no back cover, but not both. 

8.0 VERY FINE (VF):  Back to Top
An excellent copy with outstanding eye appeal. A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners. Inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity. An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. Spine is almost completely flat with a possible minor color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present. Paper is cream to tan and supple. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

From The Overstreet Grading Guide, as you can see under "missing pieces" it states, "none allowed"

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

This is from the official CGC grading guide; see the 2nd paragraph.

it sounds like the Overstreet guide is more detailed, but CGC has different grading rules than Overstreet so you won’t necessarily get an accurate grade estimate if you plan to eventually send your books to CGC for grading.  For example it seems CGC is more lenient with creases on an 8.0.

IMG_7795.jpeg

A lot of those defects I wouldn't accept in a 6.0, let alone an 8.0. I'd also say both CGC and OSPG do a disservice in their grade criteria by not explaining that accumulation of defects is as or even more important than specific defects allowed. I've seen more than one seller try to pawn off a low grade book as VG because every flaw the book has is "allowed" in the grade.  

As I read the extract I was thinking just that and was going to say that in effect (in the moving of goalposts to suit their own ends,) a 6.0 is now an 8.0 but for the fact I wouldn't accept those defects in a 6.0

What an indictment of the hobby when it says that heavy pressing defects often fall in this range!!!

@tmac100 what does it say about criteria for Fine?

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 11/27/2023 at 4:34 AM, namisgr said:

That example from the Promise Collection is a travesty.  Here's a couple more typical 8.0 books from my ex-collection.  The sum total of very minor signs of wear at the corners, along the spine, and along the edges account for the assigned grades:

JIM89-2.JPG.4faf1834cc288adf2225ee779fa90f0a.JPG    TOS47-1sale.jpg.653a6cad175a91060bf692bfc4aa6f91.jpg

Very nice examples with great eye appeal...  

On 11/27/2023 at 1:25 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

As I read the extract I was thinking just that and was going to say that in effect (in the moving of goalposts to suit their own ends,) a 6.0 is now an 8.0 but for the fact I wouldn't accept those defects in a 6.0

What an indictment of the hobby when it says that heavy pressing defects often fall in this range!!!

@tmac100 what does it say about criteria for Fine?

:fear:

Bottom line is that the 8.0 grade emerged to quickly characterize a NICE copy to facilitate mail order. If all sorts of defects that people don't normally associate with 8.0 are blended into the definition of 8.0, don't be disappointed if values for an "8.0" begin to drop. Especially the "new and improved" 8.0s. :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

It will especially impact folks who post front scans only .... why bid strong on an 8.0 if the back cover might have a piece missing the size of Kansas? If we're going to fall back on the Production Defect loophole, then it should be in a green label. 

Edited by jimjum12

On 11/26/2023 at 7:55 PM, Funnybooks said:

this confirms or dispels the criteria lol:facepalm:

image.thumb.png.3229e16d7b226bd624969efc408b1d4c.png

woohoo now I know all my books are NM :whee: