• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you consider to be Science Fiction?
6 6

199 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2023 at 3:33 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

but if I don't pay anything, and use it, it's free. 

I think if you saw my CGC bill, you'd beg to differ. lol

On 11/29/2023 at 8:39 PM, VintageComics said:

They bill you for posting here? Hopefully not per post, or you'd be skint. 

On 11/29/2023 at 3:41 PM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 11/29/2023 at 3:39 PM, VintageComics said:

If they billed me for posting here I'd be broke. 

I think if they had Forumite of the Year awards for most words typed, I'd be the GOAT. 

On 11/29/2023 at 3:41 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

They should charge him per word. They would make enough that they could lower slabbing costs by 50% or more.

On 11/29/2023 at 8:45 PM, VintageComics said:

If they billed me for posting here I'd be broke. 

I think if they had Forumite of the Year awards for most words typed, I'd be the GOAT. 

Generally Opinionated And Troublesome?

And my skint is your broke, by the way.

On 11/29/2023 at 3:47 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Generally Opinionated And Troublesome?

GREATLY Opinionated And Troublesome. 

Get it right. :baiting:

On 11/29/2023 at 8:49 PM, VintageComics said:

GREATLY Opinionated And Troublesome. 

Get it right. :baiting:

You should've seen the first one I typed.....

On 11/29/2023 at 3:51 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

You should've seen the first one I typed.....

You should post it. Don't be a snowflake. lol

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread. I have a long post to type out for Sauce Dog. 

On 11/29/2023 at 8:58 PM, VintageComics said:

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread. I have a long post to type out for Sauce Dog. 

Close your other tabs, and copy it before you press go.

On 11/29/2023 at 4:02 PM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 11/29/2023 at 3:58 PM, VintageComics said:

Close your other tabs, and copy it before you press go.

Thanks, mom. I can take it from here. 

On 11/29/2023 at 9:41 PM, comicnoir said:

Read a lot of his work in my day. Read Androids before they made the movie.

No Mercerism in the film, was there. 

On 11/28/2023 at 5:31 PM, Sauce Dog said:

But you do see how that might be a very poor way to categorize a genre objectively, and get others on board with it....based your personal feelings that are coming from an ill defined spiritual sense and vibrations, right? Plenty of people have had a sense about them which ended up not being truth (I sense the sun is revolving around the earth...). 

Sure. There's a lot to unpack and this is a deep discussion. 

Unfortunately, people get lost looking at things like credentials and personality and ignore track record when track records can go a long way and can even discredit an experts "credentials" at times. We can see this in the world today. All of these experts making decisions while the world is in the worst place it's been in, in the last 70 years.

What has happened is people have turned everything into "cult of personality" and given power to "authority" even when that authority has been proven to have a horrid track record...and then CONTINUE to follow them because nobody wants to admit they were wrong. lol

It's time for people to focus on actual MESSAGES rather than MESSENGERS. The world would be a different place if everyone did that. 

I personally have seen no reason to accept a proposition that there is anything more to us than the physical, nor do I see any good reason to accept that there is anything outside of nature (no super-natural, which it sounds like you are using the word metaphysical to allude to. To be clear I'm not saying such things do not exist.). However, to me the idea of the 'soul' is one of the most dead concepts in the modern era of philosophy, put to the test countless times with nothing to back it up and counter evidence that pushes it further back -  so until there is sound reason to accept such a thing exists, then there isn't some genie we should account for when dealing with life and death.

There plenty of real world examples where models are constructed and the models work, time and time again without understanding why they work. 

You turn your key in the car and it starts and yet you don't personally understand why? Ghost in the machine?

The Higgs Boson particle was just a theory for decades until someone finally showed it. 

How about Dark Matter? it comprises 95% of the universe and yet nobody knows what it is? How is that possible? lol

What if the answers to everything are found in that dark matter that we have yet to understand? What if there is knowledge in there that answers stuff about life and death?

Philosophy and religion (or spirituality, because I consider religion and spirituality two very different and opposing things) have FOR AGES answered questions or filled in blanks that science couldn't. And many of those answers have withstood the test of time. Ancient works that most people are ready to dispose of have guided civilization for millenia establishing principles that we have used for foundations of a functioning society, they've been used to fill in gaps found in historical records, they've even often understood scientific principles before scientists understood them. 

Philosophy and religion / spirituality get a bad wrap because of the bad actors, much like there are bad actors in science, but they're not just all disposable trash. They have been invaluable for millenia and MANY scientists choose to believe in them even today. 

To me personally, they've been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. I have literally bet my life on it.

Most people don't even know if they can believe a television commercial, yet I absolutely know what I believe, why I believe it and how I came to believe it. There is ABSOLUTELY something "out there", and so I speak from that experience. 

Life is a chemical system that uses energy to keep itself from reaching chemical equilibrium, while death is the moment when the system that maintains the far from equilibrium state ceases existence. Will the challenge that is death ever be conquered by mankind, I don't know, but from what I have seen from humanities progress thus far gives me no reason not to think it possible (heck, lets get sci-fi with it and backup up our minds digitally - something that doesn't seem impossible and would get around physical body limitations)

Humanity has severe limitations and yet people keep acting like it doesn't. 

In Ancient Hebrew the concept of "forever" did not exist. They were incapable of understanding it. They used the word "olam" which quite literally meant "to the horizon" because they couldn't see beyond it. 

We now have math that works showing us infinity but still can't really comprehend it. If infinity exists, everything MUST be possible though, right?

The limitation is humanity. Humanity is finite and the ONLY way you can do infinite things is you'd have to pass human limitations.

Sure, back your mind up digitally. This is actually happening in real time, but you're no longer human then, right?

So my contention is that humans will never be able to revert death, because death is the human limitation and human limitations can't undo human limitations. You need something non-human, which is where the metaphysical steps in. 

@TupennyConan - this is right up your alley. 

But you do see how that might be a very poor way to categorize a genre objectively, and get others on board with it....based your personal feelings that are coming from an ill defined spiritual sense and vibrations, right? Plenty of people have had a sense about them which ended up not being truth (I sense the sun is revolving around the earth...). 

My ex was a math genius at her job. She works in insurance and manages 8 and 9 figure accounts as a consultant. 

She often, very quickly comes to conclusions or answers without needing to do all the calculations everyone else needs to do. She shows her work to cover her butt but also to make sure everyone else understands it. The extra, long-form work is often unnecessary for her, it's for everyone else. 

Her peers need to do the long form work to get to the conclusions that she gets to innately. How does she do it? Magic?

It's a gift and after living with her for a decade, I just came to trust it implicitly. 

Some people just have those abilities to be able to see or understand things innately. They're often derided. There have been many times when people in her industry tried to tear her down for being good at what she does but they can't show that she's done anything wrong. It's all just personal with them. 

This is that "ring of truth I was speaking about. I believe people who have an awareness of how things work, and don't let their egos get in the way sense when something is or can be true or correct. I feel it. Others feel it. Not everyone does, and that's fine. But I think the root of it is ego. You can't learn something new when your ego is standing in the way. 

If you want me to show my "long work" I'm happy to but I think this post gets the gist across. 

How does this relate to our discussion?

I still, currently categorize Sci Fi as what is humanly "possible" and that's why I genuinely don't consider Frankenstein Sci Fi.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a long post to reply to @Dr. Balls post on The Force. lol

On 11/29/2023 at 4:59 PM, VintageComics said:

Sure. There's a lot to unpack and this is a deep discussion. 

Unfortunately, people get lost looking at things like credentials and personality and ignore track record when track records can go a long way and can even discredit an experts "credentials" at times. We can see this in the world today. All of these experts making decisions while the world is in the worst place it's been in, in the last 70 years.

What has happened is people have turned everything into "cult of personality" and given power to "authority" even when that authority has been proven to have a horrid track record...and then CONTINUE to follow them because nobody wants to admit they were wrong. lol

It's time for people to focus on actual MESSAGES rather than MESSENGERS. The world would be a different place if everyone did that. 

There plenty of real world examples where models are constructed and the models work, time and time again without understanding why they work. 

You turn your key in the car and it starts and yet you don't personally understand why? Ghost in the machine?

The Higgs Boson particle was just a theory for decades until someone finally showed it. 

How about Dark Matter? it comprises 95% of the universe and yet nobody knows what it is? How is that possible? lol

What if the answers to everything are found in that dark matter that we have yet to understand? What if there is knowledge in there that answers stuff about life and death?

Philosophy and religion (or spirituality, because I consider religion and spirituality two very different and opposing things) have FOR AGES answered questions or filled in blanks that science couldn't. And many of those answers have withstood the test of time. Ancient works that most people are ready to dispose of have guided civilization for millenia establishing principles that we have used for foundations of a functioning society, they've been used to fill in gaps found in historical records, they've even often understood scientific principles before scientists understood them. 

Philosophy and religion / spirituality get a bad wrap because of the bad actors, much like there are bad actors in science, but they're not just all disposable trash. They have been invaluable for millenia and MANY scientists choose to believe in them even today. 

To me personally, they've been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. I have literally bet my life on it.

Most people don't even know if they can believe a television commercial, yet I absolutely know what I believe, why I believe it and how I came to believe it. There is ABSOLUTELY something "out there", and so I speak from that experience. 

Humanity has severe limitations and yet people keep acting like it doesn't. 

In Ancient Hebrew the concept of "forever" did not exist. They were incapable of understanding it. They used the word "olam" which quite literally meant "to the horizon" because they couldn't see beyond it. 

We now have math that works showing us infinity but still can't really comprehend it. If infinity exists, everything MUST be possible though, right?

The limitation is humanity. Humanity is finite and the ONLY way you can do infinite things is you'd have to pass human limitations.

Sure, back your mind up digitally. This is actually happening in real time, but you're no longer human then, right?

So my contention is that humans will never be able to revert death, because death is the human limitation and human limitations can't undo human limitations. You need something non-human, which is where the metaphysical steps in. 

@TupennyConan - this is right up your alley. 

My ex was a math genius at her job. She works in insurance and manages 8 and 9 figure accounts as a consultant. 

She often, very quickly comes to conclusions or answers without needing to do all the calculations everyone else needs to do. She shows her work to cover her butt but also to make sure everyone else understands it. The extra, long-form work is often unnecessary for her, it's for everyone else. 

Her peers need to do the long form work to get to the conclusions that she gets to innately. How does she do it? Magic?

It's a gift and after living with her for a decade, I just came to trust it implicitly. 

Some people just have those abilities to be able to see or understand things innately. They're often derided. There have been many times when people in her industry tried to tear her down for being good at what she does but they can't show that she's done anything wrong. It's all just personal with them. 

This is that "ring of truth I was speaking about. I believe people who have an awareness of how things work, and don't let their egos get in the way sense when something is or can be true or correct. I feel it. Others feel it. Not everyone does, and that's fine. But I think the root of it is ego. You can't learn something new when your ego is standing in the way. 

If you want me to show my "long work" I'm happy to but I think this post gets the gist across. 

How does this relate to our discussion?

I still, currently categorize Sci Fi as what is humanly "possible" and that's why I genuinely don't consider Frankenstein Sci Fi.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a long post to reply to @Dr. Balls post on The Force. lol

Good grief! People used to give RMA a hard time for walls of text but this is a whole new level. :wavingwhiteflag:

On 11/29/2023 at 6:33 AM, CGC Mike said:

I am not sure.  I have brought this up to web help and the Senior Site Reliability Engineer several times.  They are not able to duplicate it.  

I think it is a combo of keystrokes. It happens when I hit the space bar but obviously not everytime.