• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you consider to be Science Fiction?
6 6

199 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2023 at 1:22 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I think if you made the concession that The Force is a real religious and mental thing (and at the time of the original trilogy - had not been "scienced" with the whole midichlorian garbage), the show could be construed as a religious tale. But, you'd still have to explain the reasoning behind space travel and aliens, which plants it square into the scifi realm. I'm on the side of SW being sci-fi.

Very interesting as I'd never thought of it that way.

When I try to explain my personal beliefs, I actually explain them to people using "The Force" in Star Wars as the parallel. This REALLY gives people a great frame of reference without me having to resort to religion and having them either shut down or get their backs up, which people do as soon as you reference a religion (I'm not religious BTW but have deep roots in it).

I view the universe as a unified thing, with everything (and everyone) tied together through energy and vibration. Everything would have to be related, because science actually supports that everything came from one 'thing'. Everything is a descendant of the 1st moment the universe started. 

And so, using "The Force" or "being spiritual" is basically an aligning with this universal energy. The harder you work at understanding and aligning yourself with it, the more you actually align yourself with it and the more you are able to work "with it" rather than against it the faster you move forward. That's the oversimplified explanation. 

Dtrangely, it's only recently that I've thought of explaining it this way using The Force as a parallel - maybe the last 8 or 10 years?

I actually don't have a problem with the Midi-Chlorian thing. Just replace "dark matter" with Midi-Chlorian and you have a very similar parallel to real life. 

That Dark Matter is obviously doing something. We just don't fully know what, yet. 

I actually believe there is no contradiction between true science and true spirituality or "true religion". 

And THAT definitely puts Star Wars square into Sci Fi for me by both my standards and everyone else's objective standards.

On 11/29/2023 at 5:14 PM, CAHokie said:

Good grief! People used to give RMA a hard time for walls of text but this is a whole new level. :wavingwhiteflag:

I wonder who has the longest worded post in the history of the boards? hm

On 11/29/2023 at 4:48 PM, ganni said:

Is it science fiction to think encasing a paper material  with printed ink with acidic properties in a hard plastic material have a higher quality of  preserve material? Regardless of any type of environment?

That's just pure fiction.  :wink:

On 11/29/2023 at 9:55 PM, Sauce Dog said:

<snip>

Can you PULEESE edit out this huge space at the bottom of your post?

It's driving me crazy. lol

I'll have a read and reply when I can as there's a lot to unpack but I love convo like this. Thanks for taking the time. 

On 11/30/2023 at 9:58 AM, VintageComics said:

I'll have a read and reply when I can as there's a lot to unpack but I love convo like this. Thanks for taking the time. 

And I still took up less space than one of your messages that had a simple yes or no answer! :nyah:

A side point I find interesting... the old pulpsters and a lot of the classic science-fiction writers absolutely abhorred the term "sci-fi" (detractors pronounced it "skiffy" to show their displeasure).  One of them went so far as to claim it made him physically ill every time he saw it.  They preferred the use of "SF" if an abbreviation was needed.  Some others acknowledged the term had use, but said it bespoke to a specific sub-genre.  They saw space opera and the kind of swashbuckling adventure story set on other worlds to be "sci-fi"... such as Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, John Carter, and Star Wars.  But PDK, Clarke, Ellison, Pohl, Herbert, etc., wrote science-fiction.  

On 11/30/2023 at 10:02 AM, Bookery said:

One of them went so far as to claim it made him physically ill every time he saw it

Tell that snowflake he needs some proactive exposure. lol

On 11/30/2023 at 10:02 AM, Bookery said:

A side point I find interesting... the old pulpsters and a lot of the classic science-fiction writers absolutely abhorred the term "sci-fi" (detractors pronounced it "skiffy" to show their displeasure).  One of them went so far as to claim it made him physically ill every time he saw it.  They preferred the use of "SF" if an abbreviation was needed.  Some others acknowledged the term had use, but said it bespoke to a specific sub-genre.  They saw space opera and the kind of swashbuckling adventure story set on other worlds to be "sci-fi"... such as Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, John Carter, and Star Wars.  But PDK, Clarke, Ellison, Pohl, Herbert, etc., wrote science-fiction.  

You see that in every type of organization once it grows to a certain mass. 

I experienced that in the church, where even within a tiny little church of say, 50 people, you had people arguing and bickering over irrelevant minutia which would make outsiders think they were nuts. lol

I see that cult of old pulpsters in much the same way. They start to get very protective of their perceived "territory" and it becomes counterproductive to the greater cause. It actually happens in every field and it's just driven by ego rather than moving the discussion forward. 

Edited to say: Dude, you need to POST MORE OFTEN. Every post of yours in this thread says more than 10 other posts combined. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/30/2023 at 9:58 AM, VintageComics said:

For you, anything! I've edited my original comment to remove the 

I don't think it matters that Frankenstein wasn't referred to as 'science-fiction' when it was first released. It COULDN'T be, because there was no such term at the time.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea wasn't Sci-Fi when it first was released either because again, there was no such term at the time.

H.G. Wells was hugely influenced by both of these, so it just makes sense that they could be BOTH be regarded as early examples of sci-fi.

Reanimating life through the scientific achievements of man, IS sci-fi.

Even if it was written by a woman.

What was Wells earliest work referred to as? It also came out before the term science-fiction was first used (around 1929)...

It's strange how much push back there is on Mary Shelly getting that credit. People don't seem to have a problem applying it to Jules Verne. 

Reanimating life through the scientific achievements of man, IS science fiction.

Is it something people do knowingly? Or is it an ingrained bias?

Why is it so difficult to see the creative work of a woman as... equal to a man?

Even now, if you look at these three movies, only one is seen as a failure - despite similar budgets and actually better numbers...

The Marvels

Budget: $220 million
Opening U.S. weekend: $46 million
Global to date (3 weeks): $187 million
Box Office Narrative: Flop

Killers of the Flower Moon

Budget: $200 million
Opening U.S. weekend: $23 million
Global to date (6 weeks): $151 million
Box Office Narrative: Moderately Positive

Napoleon

Budget: $200 million
Opening U.S. weekend (+Thanksgiving): $32 million
Global to date (1 week): $79 million
Box Office Narrative: Triumphant

Edited by Prince Namor

Who came up with the term 'science fiction'? Was it Forrest Ackerman? 

On 12/1/2023 at 11:01 PM, Prince Namor said:

It's strange how much push back there is on Mary Shelly getting that credit. People don't seem to have a problem applying it to Jules Verne. 

Is it something people do knowingly? Or is it an ingrained bias?

Why is it so difficult to see the creative work of a woman as... equal to a man?

Whoa!  I think you're reading a lot into something that I don't think is there.  First off, as I said, I believe the consensus, at least among creators of science-fiction, IS that Frankenstein in the first sf novel.  So I'm not sure who it is you're attacking here.  And for those that want to move that qualification up to the latter 19th century, I think it has more to do with the gothic romance traditions of Frankenstein than the gender of the writer.  As I stated earlier, this has been amplified by the movies, which is where the vast majority of people have their concept of the material.  Verne and Wells are more technically-oriented Victorian authors, and have a drier less poetic approach to the material.  The early writers of Amazing Stories were probably more inspired by Verne and Wells in their styles, and so a link was established.  The traditions of Shelley and Poe inspired a different direction, taken up by the likes of Gaston Leroux, Ambrose Bierce, Bram Stoker, etc.  I think if you were to poll the writing community you would find that Shelley ranks higher in the literary hierarchy than Wells and especially Verne, who is seen more of as an adventure writer in line with H. Rider Haggard and others.  So I'm not sure where you're seeing the bias.

On 12/2/2023 at 8:56 AM, Amazeron said:

The whole point of the book is a cautionary tale about the lengths we’ll go for science. We are willing to destroy things to create.

I would take issue here in that Victor has to live with what he has created in that his over reaching pride or hubris created something that will haunt him for what time is left of his life. Shelley added the Promethean sub-title did she not - and there is undeniable horror in that fate - and I would add Icarus as well. We see a modern take in the recent Oppenheimer movie. There is no denying the science in either we can see both chained to that stone and the horror it entails.

On 12/2/2023 at 8:56 AM, Amazeron said:

In addition, you can’t expect the first book in a genre to incorporate EVERYTHING relating to science fiction. That’s like saying The Phantom isn’t the first superhero because he doesn’t have powers or a dead girlfriend. If Mary was a man this argument wouldn’t exist. It is simply history being altered in which a woman can’t win. In fact, one of the earliest novels in history (regarded by many as the first strictly fictional novel) was The Tale of Genji, written by a woman, Murasaki Shikibu.

I didn't realize this was about men vs women or giving a woman credit for the first SF novel. Shelley wins, hands down. Frankenstein is easily SF but you yourself know this only limits the potential of the text. The great thing about this book are the endless ways you can interpret it.

Putting constraints on Frankenstein to win a beauty/urinating contest is a disservice to the brilliant book that it is.

Edited by Mr Sneeze
correction