• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does a Remark increase value??
1 1

5 posts in this topic

IMG_0261.thumb.jpeg.be63b13d1500dc726fa8f04156a9618b.jpegIMG_0264.thumb.jpeg.1ac4b3aed2e915115cb8278d27076bb1.jpegI was lucky enough to get John Tyler Christopher’s signature on my issue of Count Dooku 1 featuring Anakin on the cover. In addition he wrote a remark which I’ve never seen him do. Will this increase the value. I have a huge collection of JTC cover art and this is by far my favorite. Any thoughts?

Maybe, but only in minor way.  I do not see anyone paying multiples of GPA because of a written remarque - sketches are another animal entirely.

But I could see someone seeing that (same book - same grade for $150) and the one with the remarque for $175 and saying "That quote is worth the extra bread."

In some cases a sophisticated market will take into account the rarity, expense or difficulty of a remarque into account. For example if the Market knew that Gal Gadot charged $100 to write "Wonder Woman" in addition to her normal signature fee, a sophisticated market would bake that in to the purchase price.  Or if  GRR Martin typically only signed his name, but added "Song of Fire & Ice" to one book, I could see a premium being paid for that.

And in this case, I read too quickly. I thought Hayden Christensen had signed.  I see zero premium for the artist adding that remarque.  

On 12/1/2023 at 8:36 AM, seanfingh said:

I do not see anyone paying multiples of GPA because of a written remarque

This is true in almost every case except when it comes to Stan Lee, and why we do mention a written remarque on SS books with his signature. They do appear to attract a higher price than the same book with just his signature. Additionally if Stan has signed the book on his birthday, bam! 

I would say generally it does, but the marginal price increase may not always be more than the marginal cost of the remark over just a signature.  And many of the usual factors apply, the comic, the grade, the placement of the remark, the coolness of the remark, the remarker, the selling venue, the rarity (or availability) of the comic or grade or signature or remark, and sheer luck/timing.  

As with most things signature related, its probably not a great way to make consistent significant profits, but if you like it an can afford it, go for it!

Edited by revat