• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mottling on inside of cover?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I’m considering submitting this book to CGC, however, it has some unusual mottling on the inside of the front and back cover. The light spots on the toned cover. In every other aspect, I estimate the book to be about 4.5/5.0.

Anyone know what this is and how or if CGC may ding it at this grade level. The paper is not at all brittle, and it’s not water spots.

407922746_10233087753955812_5983707200278693809_n.jpg

408061398_10233087754315821_1253458790412303466_n.jpg

407886852_10233087753875810_6277301865617991433_n.jpg

Books are graded in their entirety, however, when it comes to individual defects, unfortunately the grading standards are written with a lot of gray areas and leave a lot to individual interpretation, Slight, Minor, Moderate, Some, Significant...

Looking at your book which appears to be in the VG 4.0 range, will there be an additional deduction?

To me, that foxing should not affect the grade of a book in the VG 4.0 range.

VG 4.0 - The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear

Maybe post with good pics in the https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

FN 6.0 - minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing.

VG/FN 5.0 - minor to moderate staining, discoloration, and/or foxing.

VG 4.0 - . Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed.

GD/VG 3.0 -  Discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor to moderate soiling is allowed.

GD 2.0 - Moderate soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing may be present.

FR/GD 1.5 -  Soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing is generally present.

Thanks for your input. I’m pretty an experienced grader and I’m confident this book is structurally no worse than a 4.5 and probably a 5.0 on a good day. I was just inquiring if anyone had specific experience with this type of staining. Some people have called it foxing, but I don’t think it is. It’s like the paper has toned except in certain spots. In any case, from what I gather, it won’t have a significant effect, if any, at this grade level.

On 12/4/2023 at 12:27 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Thanks for your input. I’m pretty an experienced grader and I’m confident this book is structurally no worse than a 4.5 and probably a 5.0 on a good day. I was just inquiring if anyone had specific experience with this type of staining. Some people have called it foxing, but I don’t think it is. It’s like the paper has toned except in certain spots. In any case, from what I gather, it won’t have a significant effect, if any, at this grade level.

Its related to poor air quality and storage, and I've seen it before with CGC calling it foxing.