• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping Damage to 9.8 Modern Comic
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Hello-

I'm curious of peoples thoughts on how much of a grading loss this shipping damage caused to my ASM #4 (First Silk). It was graded originally at a 9.8 and it was damaged during shipping after I bought it from the original owner. As you can see there is now a tear on the back bottom as well as some damage to the corner. The remainder of the book does not look to have any additional damage and still remains in it's 9.8 condition.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you so much.

ASM4_issues_2.jpg

Yeah... I'd just sell it as-is at a slight discount and hope nobody notices. It's not like you're the one who opened up the case.

When buyer asks, just say it was shipping damage. It really is, after all.

Edited by stormflora

Looks like there's a bit of plastic debris in there too : / 

Seems really unlucky - sorry @Michael Duck.

I don't understand how shipping damage can do that - not refuting your statement, but more like a question - presuming it was well packaged, the shipper had to have majorly dropped it / forcefully thrown it to the ground in order for that dent & tear to have happen, no? 

Bottom corner looks to be hung up on something like a piece of plastic where the tear is and the bottom tear IMO couldn't have happened from anywhere on the case other than that larger shard of plastic that's freely floating around close by under it as it's roughly the same size but I thought all books were incased in another inner well and that shouldn't be possible normally. I've never seen this kind of damage other than CGC damaging a book during encapsulation for that bottom part. Sorry to see this happened to you however it possibly did. Definitely a strange incident.

On 12/4/2023 at 1:05 PM, Michael Duck said:

Hello-

I'm curious of peoples thoughts on how much of a grading loss this shipping damage caused to my ASM #4 (First Silk). It was graded originally at a 9.8 and it was damaged during shipping after I bought it from the original owner. As you can see there is now a tear on the back bottom as well as some damage to the corner. The remainder of the book does not look to have any additional damage and still remains in it's 9.8 condition.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you so much.

ASM4_issues_2.jpg

Not discounting the corner ding, but I can see no tear to the  comic. The advertising paper is the thing torn.