• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neal Adams Illustrated Commission Art

12 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I hope everyone is safe and well.

I am considering selling a Neal Adams Commission original art I have and wanted to get your advice if possible. Where would the best place be to potentially put it up for sale? I would like to not through an auction house as their fees are very high. I have seen a few for sale on various comic sites and eBay but they do not seem to sell, possibly because of asking prices being too high. Any pointers would be great, thank you ever so much in advance. 

On 12/5/2023 at 7:51 AM, Ghazi said:

Hi All,

I hope everyone is safe and well.

I am considering selling a Neal Adams Commission original art I have and wanted to get your advice if possible. Where would the best place be to potentially put it up for sale? I would like to not through an auction house as their fees are very high. I have seen a few for sale on various comic sites and eBay but they do not seem to sell, possibly because of asking prices being too high. Any pointers would be great, thank you ever so much in advance. 

Commissions are always harder to sell than published art, because people don't have the nostalgia factor of remembering when they read the story years ago. As a result, commissions are often worth less on the open market than the seller paid for them, which probably has something to do with why you see them failing to sell. Having said that, the value will probably depend on factors like what year the commission was done, who the character is, and what it looks like. For example, a commission from the 1970s would be more in demand than one from the 2010s. A popular character like Batman will be more in demand than a more obscure character, but a character associated with Neal Adams like Deadman might be more in demand than a more popular character who isn't associated with Adams, like Spider-Man. I would suggest sharing some more information about the commission, such as year done, size, character, etc. or perhaps an image. As for where to sell it, I haven't sold commissions so I can't really help there, but I'm sure people here can give advice. However, they'll need more information about the piece. Best of luck!

On 12/5/2023 at 3:28 PM, Twanj said:

Well, you could offer it here or CAF, and ebay. Comic Link would probably take it too but depending on the page might be more hassle and take longer.

Thank you very much Twanj really appreciate it, sounds like those are good options.

On 12/5/2023 at 3:18 PM, christosgage said:

Commissions are always harder to sell than published art, because people don't have the nostalgia factor of remembering when they read the story years ago. As a result, commissions are often worth less on the open market than the seller paid for them, which probably has something to do with why you see them failing to sell. Having said that, the value will probably depend on factors like what year the commission was done, who the character is, and what it looks like. For example, a commission from the 1970s would be more in demand than one from the 2010s. A popular character like Batman will be more in demand than a more obscure character, but a character associated with Neal Adams like Deadman might be more in demand than a more popular character who isn't associated with Adams, like Spider-Man. I would suggest sharing some more information about the commission, such as year done, size, character, etc. or perhaps an image. As for where to sell it, I haven't sold commissions so I can't really help there, but I'm sure people here can give advice. However, they'll need more information about the piece. Best of luck!

Thanks so much for this detailed message and for the heads up for the character's etc, It sounds like if I decide to go ahead I'll put a description together and from what Twanj mentioned seems CGC and other forums and Facebook might be best,

On 12/5/2023 at 11:44 AM, Ghazi said:

Thanks so much for this detailed message and for the heads up for the character's etc, It sounds like if I decide to go ahead I'll put a description together and from what Twanj mentioned seems CGC and other forums and Facebook might be best,

Forgot about that, there's a Deal or No Deal FB group and some others for selling comic art.

T

On 12/5/2023 at 5:33 PM, Twanj said:

Forgot about that, there's a Deal or No Deal FB group and some others for selling comic art.

Thank you. I saw the Neal Adams Appreciation page so maybe there too! Thank you so much

If it's an Adams commission in a unique pose or unique medium (e.g. pencil or paint) then you should do well.  Even if it's a recreation of one of his panels, those are also nice.

If it's one of the Adams example that seem to be repeated over and over (e.g. Batman in profile), you might be disappointed.

On 12/6/2023 at 1:33 AM, Will_K said:

If it's an Adams commission in a unique pose or unique medium (e.g. pencil or paint) then you should do well.  Even if it's a recreation of one of his panels, those are also nice.

If it's one of the Adams example that seem to be repeated over and over (e.g. Batman in profile), you might be disappointed.

Thanks alxjhnsn, its a color Batman headshot in a unique pose and not one of the generic ones, thank you for the insight as that's really g0od to know!

Edited by Ghazi

On 12/6/2023 at 3:52 AM, alxjhnsn said:

There are a lot of venues. You can find a list of some of them in the hidden text of the first post on this thread - Pricing Comic Art - 2023 Edition.

Wow thank you very much I'll go through this. This forum is amazing as usual as you all are and I thank you for this!