• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending my comic from Malaysia to cgc. How it work? Must get the packaging from cgc?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Just go to cgc website, if anything is unclear contact cgc customer service directly about your specific questions 

do not need cgc packing materials

If you’re looking for address, take a look around the cgc website

On 12/5/2023 at 7:09 PM, ming86 said:

So I just need to have the submit paper and put it inside the box and ship out? I got member but I can’t find where to submit.

On 12/6/2023 at 12:32 PM, MattTheDuck said:

@duplicatecomics

Any advice here?

hey @MattTheDuck sorry missed the tag here.

Hi @ming86 I'm based in Singapore. Are you sending this in raw or already slabbed and need regrading? 

Proper comic bags and boards (take note to get the size right, the usual e.g. GA ones are largest etc etc) so the edges of the comics don't get frayed, and 1 bag and board per comic, if you're not familiar enough don't tape the cover of the bag (too many horror stories I'm sure many can relate to). Bubble wrap for slabbed ones definitely, tape the top and bottom so the slab doesn't slip out of the bubble wrap.

If you're going at it alone, you should definitely consider purchasing insurance, depending on the comic value, and get the CGC memberships as some of the guys here have already mentioned. That's what I've done, but this depends on the value of the books you're submitting and frequency as well.

If you're intending to submit to a local shop (sorry I'm not familiar with the Malaysian ones, but there are a couple in Singapore if you need names), they will naturally charge you a premium but it does reduce the hassle involved, and could work out economically if you're just submitting a handful of books.

Depending on how often and how much you will ship, you can consider purchasing packaging material in bulk (boards and bags or comic sleeves), I purchase from the US and ship them over via something called BuyNShip, these shippers are cheaper as they're basically renting out space in the ship that would otherwise not have been rented out.

Thing is I'm not familiar with the couriers in Malaysia, but I use EasyShip for Singapore and they do aggregate other couriers for you. You could try it out in Malaysia.

SingPost for e.g. has been a very reliable courier, I shipped books under USD 100 all the way to a Batman #1-10 (in a few batches) to the US before with no issues. But naturally as you will be shipping from a much further destination to the US, remember to secure the edge of the boxes (reinforce all the sides with tape), plenty of bubble wrap is a must, don't do more than 2 or max 3 slabs, put bubble wrap to occupy the empty space between the slabs and the sides of the boxes so the slabs don't move around too much during the transportation process. I guess these practices are arguably applicable no matter where you're shipping to/from. Also, get a courier which allows you to track all the way to the destination where possible. 

One other option - if you're ever flying to the US for a comic con, you can just drop your books there so you don't need to worry too much. Done that a few times before.

I'm not sure how else I can help or if the above was useful at all, but feel free to reach out if you need more tips.