• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 9.6….Rusty Staples??
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Hi all

Was perusing eBay when I saw a listing for a CGC 9.6 Xmen 266…with rusty staples!

Notes do not disclose this. The book was graded in 2020. The seller does disclose this. My question is how in the hell does this happen?? If CGC missed it that is obviously awful. If they did not miss anything, what in the hell happened to this book to make THAT happen in the span on just 3 years???

IMG_9088.png

IMG_9087.png

IMG_9086.png

It sold for about $175.

Slabbing a book doesn't hermetically seal it from from its environment. If it's stored improperly, like somewhere with high humidity, rust could develop. This is likely what happened.

It'll only get worse too. Ain't no stopping it.

2c

On 12/5/2023 at 8:53 PM, comicginger1789 said:

The seller messaged back after a couple inquiries.

He said the book was graded and then stored in a fireproof safe. Inside the safe is where the rust occurred. 

That'll do it. 

On 12/5/2023 at 10:53 PM, comicginger1789 said:

The seller messaged back after a couple inquiries.

He said the book was graded and then stored in a fireproof safe. Inside the safe is where the rust occurred. 

There are certain types of gun safes that are known for this. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Couple other books that the seller unfortunately had this happen to them both went for pretty darn good prices considering rusty staples. I did get a laugh out of the ASM 212 with rusted staples as there couldn't be a better cover to have rusted staples than this lol Adds to Hydro-Man's 1st appearance and skill set I suppose.

Here's a pic of a couple more I mentioned.

image.thumb.png.512455e5bbd9ad3776a4432f9e49512f.png

image.thumb.png.7ea8a8f178ec8f746767b88e7044ea87.png

Seller really didn't lose too much on those books at all.

On 12/6/2023 at 1:16 PM, Pontoon said:

I think "inaccurate" or "no longer correct" would be a better term than "a lie". They weren't rusted at the time of grading. The seller put "EVEN THOUGH THIS IS A SEALED CGC COMIC IT HAS RUSTED STAPLES. DON'T HESITATE TO ASK QUESTIONS" in large print in his description, it doesn't look like he was trying to put one over on anybody.

Didnt say he was.

I said the grade is a lie... AT THIS POINT.

And it is.

On 12/6/2023 at 2:16 PM, Pontoon said:

I think "inaccurate" or "no longer correct" would be a better term than "a lie". They weren't rusted at the time of grading. The seller put "EVEN THOUGH THIS IS A SEALED CGC COMIC IT HAS RUSTED STAPLES. DON'T HESITATE TO ASK QUESTIONS" in large print in his description, it doesn't look like he was trying to put one over on anybody.

This is what happens when people buy the grade rather than the book.

On 12/6/2023 at 12:28 PM, mephistopheles said:

This is what happens when people buy the grade rather than the book.

(thumbsu

On 12/6/2023 at 10:13 AM, lostboys said:

Damn...so basically the grades are a lie at this point.

Wow.

On 12/6/2023 at 1:16 PM, Pontoon said:

The thing is, grading and slabbing a comic only shows a score on the condition of the comic at the time of grading.

Someone could accidentally drop their slabbed comic into a pool and pull it back out, and it would still be considered the same grade, even if it's bound to be eventually damaged.

The question at this point is whether or not that someone is willing to be truthful about said damage, or tries to sell it without being fully transparent about it.

I respect this particular seller for telling their buyers that the staples have rusted. But whether the buyer may resell it without mentioning that bit (for the purpose of profit), that possibility will always exist.

Without being able to inspect a comic in person (e.g. eBay), you run that sort of a risk when you buy high graded, slabbed comics.