• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy Cow and the Calves
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2023 at 10:41 PM, toro said:

image.thumb.png.1102b4476444166418cbaf09c55109ff.png

I know there are only 3 9.8s, but over $4k! Yikes!

I was just talking about this in the auction discussion thread. I've seen some crazy prices on high grade SA books in the past week. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/6/2023 at 12:19 AM, unclezebo said:

The calf is taken, his name is/was/will be brisket.............

About 15 years ago my Daughter and her husband who was a butcher at the time bought and raised a baby pig, they named him "one pound packs" and supposedly he was yummy.

People like what they like and will often pay a premium for that. If a person is wealthy a couple of thousand extra for a rare book may not mean too much. Those of us struggling with increases in the cost of groceries can just watch in awe.  

On 12/7/2023 at 12:44 PM, Stefan_W said:

People like what they like and will often pay a premium for that. If a person is wealthy a couple of thousand extra for a rare book may not mean too much. Those of us struggling with increases in the cost of groceries can just watch in awe.  

The REAL problem is the premiums people are paying for White pages and highest graded. When those two things match, the gloves come off. 

I'd much rather own pay less for an OWW book with a slight miswrap than pay a massive premium for a perfect White pager. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/7/2023 at 3:57 PM, VintageComics said:

The REAL problem is the premiums people are paying for White pages and highest graded. When those two things match, the gloves come off. 

I'd much rather own an OWW book with a slight miswrap than pay a massive premium for a perfect White pager. 

To each their own. People pay for whatever floats their boat, and in an auction format if two people want the same thing the price sometimes gets fugly. 

On that topic, I reject books with poor centering but dont care about white pages. Others have their own things. 

On 12/7/2023 at 4:01 PM, Stefan_W said:

To each their own. People pay for whatever floats their boat, and in an auction format if two people want the same thing the price sometimes gets fugly. 

On that topic, I reject books with poor centering but dont care about white pages. Others have their own things. 

You're talking to a guy who makes MUCH more from a WP, perfectly centered copy than not, so what I'm saying is actually less profitable for me, but I believe it's important to state because I actually don't think it's good for the overall market - it's just another bubble, and bubbles are never good.

As a collector, it's a personal preference in the sense that I never mind spending a little extra for top quality but I won't spend a LOT extra for a slight difference in quality. 

But I don't begrudge anyone who wants to get into a bidding war. Go for it! 

On 12/7/2023 at 3:57 PM, VintageComics said:

I'd much rather own pay less for an OWW book with a slight miswrap than pay a massive premium for a perfect White pager. 

When you're buying labels and not books, might as well go all the way with it.