• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with my shenanigans!
1 1

5 posts in this topic

So like many collectors I have stacks of coverless gold and silver books that are essentially worthless, most are missing additional pages and have other problems as well. This has also crept into my moderns with NM- books that I usually donate at the end of the year.

I have been seen single pages encapsulated, usually for key books and recently single non-key modern pages encapsulated with signatures. This got me thinking of a project I could use these for but need some assistance.

First and foremost I did ask CGC about this and they wanted absolutely no part of it so I will be using the "other" company which I am perfectly ok with. Second I have various types of newsprint that I can match with the gold and silver paper but nothing that matches what ever "paper" moderns are printed on.

Below is what I am looking to do in small or large format:

Original Page:

xmenE1.jpg.97675b84504bfffdb10fd4f36b5eec9d.thumb.jpg.17311ad5d8005b60c321cd3b140ee3ec.jpg

Newsprint covering one panel:

xmenE2.jpg.204beb346bba0e7c389e7e66b1979bd7.thumb.jpg.fac5310c1dcd31847840ccab822c70b3.jpg

Artist sketch in replaced panel:

xmenE3.jpg.f54f237c2a668ba0e094609d571fdcbf.thumb.jpg.90406169fb9e4f65dad5b9071b25a771.jpg

Expert Artistic rendition of finished product:

image.png.441f1900827a672db3cacd4adf6da462.png

I have now horribly explained what I want to do in such a way that it probably doesn't make sense and need assistance with two main points:

1. What "paper" can I use for modern books?
  2. How do I attach newsprint to the page so that it doesn't eventually damage the art (if glue is used).

Thank you for any assistance that you can offer.

On 12/8/2023 at 3:52 PM, shadroch said:

Could you bleach the pages of a modern book until all the ink was removed?  People supposedly do that to one-dollar bills. 

I'm not saying washing a $1 in a soak of easy-off then acetone used to work for linen/cotton blends but it would probably destroy thin comic book paper and be very hard to target specific blocks. I was more hoping to attach newsprint with glue or cellulose powder in an ad hoc leaf cast if that was possible.

On 12/8/2023 at 4:52 PM, shadroch said:

Could you bleach the pages of a modern book until all the ink was removed?  People supposedly do that to one-dollar bills. 

Probably depends on what kind of ink is used. Some may resist bleaching.