• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing staple - Manufacturing defect. Captain America #200
1 1

2 posts in this topic

Quick question.  I've got a very nice looking Captain America #200 that is almost perfect, with the exception of a missing staple.  It is obvious from looking at the spine that it has never had a lower staple.  There are no holes or other evidence that a staple was ever there.  I guess the staple machine in question ran out of staples sometime during the run.  Would I get dinged for this on a grading or would this just be considered a manufacturing defect?  If so, what would be the top end grade I could get with this manufacturing defect?  Thanks.

• Administrator

Hello @Chris Faison

Thank you for reaching out to us. A staple that is missing due to an error in the binding process (evidenced by no staple holes) will not affect the book's grade. However, when this occurs it can cause additional stress on the staple that is in place possibly causing other defects such as staple tears and staple detachment. If these other defects exist they will be graded accordingly. 

if you have any other questions, please let us know.