• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ink drop?
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Not a comic but a Sports Illustrated issue. There's a white spot on the I in AIR. It's a perfect circle that's slightly raised off the paper. I tried removing it, but stopped because I didn't want to cause any damage. No idea what it is or how it got there. Wondering if it may be a drop of ink that somehow managed to get on there during production. Has anyone else ever seen something like this? Opinions on how CGC would account for this in their grading?

airpower1.thumb.jpg.c28d14767019a545d289419534d30be1.jpg

airpower2.thumb.jpg.38a93b5a8851053bfd5422e270266875.jpg

On 12/12/2023 at 11:05 PM, Lightning55 said:

Looks to have occurred during production, so will likely be considered a manufacturing defect, no grade hit.

+1

There's no such thing as white ink. Four color printing involves cyan, magenta, yellow and black, colors are produced by a mix of those four. Areas of white are areas where no ink was applied, what you see is the white of the paper. The circle doesn't look production related to me. I don't see this spot on other covers I found online, and in the closeup it appears to be raised off the surface, like a spot of a foreign substance that was dropped onto the cover.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 12/13/2023 at 7:04 AM, Pontoon said:

There's no such thing as white ink. Four color printing involves cyan, magenta, yellow and black, colors are produced by a mix of those four. Areas of white are areas where no ink was applied, what you see is the white of the paper. The circle doesn't look production related to me. I don't see this spot on other covers I found online, and in the closeup it appears to be raised off the surface, like a spot of a foreign substance that was dropped onto the cover.

Definitely could be. May also be that something was already on the paper pre-production, that would not let it absorb ink in that spot. CGC will have to make their best determination.