• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2024 at 4:13 PM, agamoto said:

TATs are not 6 months for $3000 books, much closer to 6 days. 

lol you think this guy was subbing ASM 300's and 194's under walk-through? That is truly hilarious.

On 1/3/2024 at 5:13 PM, Tnexus said:
1288075-001     Amazing Spider-Man #121 (Signed & "RIP GWEN" by Gerry Conway & signed by Stan Lee on 2/28/15)     1973     9.8 (Signature)
Really curious about this one. They were scamming SS books too?    

lol I just posted about this

On 1/3/2024 at 4:14 PM, bc said:

That adds a new wrinkle to the plot...

-bc

There is only 1. It might have just been a legit book. There will be some legit books amongst all that scamminess

On 1/3/2024 at 7:11 PM, LordRahl said:

Too many examples of the same book and given TAT's it wouldn't be practical to do this. Not that long ago, TAT's were months long. Imagine having to wait 6 months for your 1 copy of a 9.8 to pull the scam again.

Why would the scammer sell an actual 9.8 and not swap it????

On 1/3/2024 at 4:13 PM, Tnexus said:
1288075-001     Amazing Spider-Man #121 (Signed & "RIP GWEN" by Gerry Conway & signed by Stan Lee on 2/28/15)     1973     9.8 (Signature)
Really curious about this one. They were scamming SS books too?    

No reason why they couldn't use autopen, or a reasonably hand drawn facsimile of the sigs on another book and send it in for reholder, or get a lower grade book signed by the same people that's verified. They'd have to send the original for grade/verification to CGC's main competitor though if they wanted to cash those chips in. 

On 1/3/2024 at 4:16 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Why would the scammer sell an actual 9.8 and not swap it????

What is he going to do with the actual 9.8? He has to have a 9.8 label right. Which means he needs a legit 9.8. Once he switches them he now has a raw 9.8. He isn't just sitting on those. He is reselling them when he resubs them and they come back 9.8 again.

On 1/3/2024 at 5:16 PM, agamoto said:

No reason why they couldn't use autopen, or a reasonably hand drawn facsimile of the sigs on another book and send it in for reholder, or get a lower grade book signed by the same people that's verified. They'd have to send the original for grade/verification to CGC's main competitor though if they wanted to cash those chips in. 

Where would the original go? You need to be an authorized CGC SS witness to resub an SS to retain.

There are a decent amount of SS books on that list. Looking more at the list, I suspect the seller probably did sell legit books at one point. A profit is a profit.

On 1/3/2024 at 7:18 PM, LordRahl said:

What is he going to do with the actual 9.8? He has to have a 9.8 label right. Which means he needs a legit 9.8. Once he switches them he now has a raw 9.8. He isn't just sitting on those. He is reselling them when he resubs them and they come back 9.8 again.

Why wouldn’t they continue to swap those 9.8s with lesser copies?  ???

On 1/3/2024 at 7:18 PM, LordRahl said:

Why not shove a new donor book into the new slab, claim an ME and still have the original 9.8 in hand.

That's how I'd do it to multiply the cash flow and take advantage of TATs.

-bc

On 1/3/2024 at 7:22 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Wouldn’t the same serial numbers repeatedly on reholder cause suspicion? 

Depends on the ratio of submissions vs reholders.

They sorta had some QC issues recently....

-bc

On 1/3/2024 at 6:32 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m curious how many of those ASM 300s are currently for sale…

Hmm, Now what's the name of that Tom Petty song that describes what's about to occur..

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/3/2024 at 4:18 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Where would the original go? You need to be an authorized CGC SS witness to resub an SS to retain.

It could possibly be sent to CGC's competitor who would authenticate the sig and place it in their SS holder.  Has this scammer been shown to also sell competitor slabs on ebay?  If not, he's probably using the auction houses to sell them off there (shrug)

Edited by mosconi

On 1/3/2024 at 4:18 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I answered that in the post. Not CGC. 

On 1/3/2024 at 4:20 PM, bc said:

Why not shove a new donor book into the new slab, claim an ME and still have the original 9.8 in hand.

That's how I'd do it to multiply the cash flow and take advantage of TATs.

-bc

I mean I don't know. Maybe he IS sitting on a bunch of 9.8s. But take ASM 300 for example. There are like 70 copies in that list. In your scenario he is doing this one by one. Send 1 in, wait. Get it back, switch. Send it in, wait. Versus, he buys 10 9.8's. Resub's them all with switched books. He now has 10 new 9.8s that are fake. Resubs those fake 9.8's for more fake 9.8s. All he needs is the labels at this point. He now can sell all of the fake 9.8s and still be subbing like 3-4 every few months for more fake 9.8s. But the original 10 9.8s (or 5 or however many he bought) still exist. Why would he sit on those?

On 1/3/2024 at 5:24 PM, mosconi said:

It could possibly be sent to CGC's competitor who would authenticate the sig and place it in their SS holder.  Has this scammer been shown to also sell competitor slabs on ebay?  If not, he's probably using the auction houses to sell them off then (shrug)

Unless they were personal copies the scammer liked? lol