• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

8,906 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2023 at 8:46 PM, Tnexus said:

You can buy a sonic welder for 6k or less. I imagine someone with some skill can probably crack a slab, replace a book then re-weld it well enough to pass a quick glance.

The label cert is supposed to take care of the fake slab, or i guess the census is there with the cert lookup. I still vaguely think this is still a cgc qc issue, and idk how with the spine showing after reholder. There is obvious damage after the reholder, but that doesnt explain the spine, nor why cgc didnt acknowledge the damage.

In short? I. Just. Dont. Know lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/17/2023 at 1:25 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. I never thought anything sketchy was happening with that sellers' books because when I would lookup the cert numbers, they always checked out as existing, so I just attributed the glaring defects to bad grading. But when I saw that video today, I realized that there is obviously something amiss here.

I originally thought that CGC must have accidentally swapped the books. Now, after seeing that supposed 9.8 NM 9.8 I'm leaning strongly towards the seller being dodgy. This is not good. 

On 12/17/2023 at 2:05 AM, Cat said:

I originally thought that CGC must have accidentally swapped the books. Now, after seeing that supposed 9.8 NM 9.8 I'm leaning strongly towards the seller being dodgy. This is not good. 

Seller is dodgy for sure, but need to question CGC as well. How could that NM 9.8 pass as a 9.8? Same with his other books as well. Many 9.4-looking grails getting a 9.8. On normal grading or even a reholder, some defects are just too obvious to miss.

Edited by Timed

Well the seller, Also sold a newstand 252  9.8 in October that cgc graded in September, that looks more like the one that was bought in Aug then the book thats in the holder now, That cgc apparently didn't realize was a mark jewlers. But it's probably all just a coincidence. 

Edited by loumonoph

On 12/17/2023 at 2:25 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

I own a CGC graded 9.6 copy that looks like a 13.6 compared to the copy you linked.

On 12/17/2023 at 7:59 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m confused.  Is it being suggested that the seller swapped a 9.8 newsstand with a lesser grade MJ insert prior to a reholder?

Yes, bought a 9.8 Newsstand, replaced it with a MJ Newsstand and claimed that CGC missed the MJ ad inside.  Probably even got a free reholder because of it, except for the custom label.  

On 12/17/2023 at 9:25 AM, Nick Furious said:

Yes, bought a 9.8 Newsstand, replaced it with a MJ Newsstand and claimed that CGC missed the MJ ad inside.  Probably even got a free reholder because of it, except for the custom label.  

Wow.   So the seller found a loophole in the reholder process.  That’s pretty crazy. 

On 12/17/2023 at 9:54 AM, Axelrod said:

This theory hinges on the seller either (1) having a way to crack an existing slab, replace a book and seal it again well enough to fool CGC, or (2) the seller being a CGC employee who is swapping out books on site?  That right?

hm