• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will CGC pulp grading start?
4 4

44 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2024 at 8:04 AM, Bookery said:

Pulp collectors seem to be a hardier lot than their comics counterparts.  They've not only dealt with, but embraced The Man in Purple, The Purple Cloud, The Purple Empire and the Purple Scar.  I suspect they won't be too daunted by the Purple Label!

I think you're correct about traditional pulp collectors.  But isn't part of the point of grading to bring in new collectors?  My guess is that many of them will turn their nose up at any restoration.  Experienced collectors of a given art form will know and understand the reality of work to restore pieces but the new money always seems to be more skittish about such things (understandably).

On 3/12/2024 at 9:27 AM, Randall Dowling said:

I think you're correct about traditional pulp collectors.  But isn't part of the point of grading to bring in new collectors?  My guess is that many of them will turn their nose up at any restoration.  Experienced collectors of a given art form will know and understand the reality of work to restore pieces but the new money always seems to be more skittish about such things (understandably).

Now that CGC is involved, this entire genre will change, hopefully for the better.  hm

And I'd like to add that a "small amount of glue on cover" notation would likely be glue that was added to the book in an attempt to seal a tear or a similar flaw, which is often located along the spine.

Welcome to the future...   

I asked a question about slabbing overhang  in a different thread. I'm not sure where it would be best to ask but I see there was some concern about it in this thread so maybe someone here might weigh in. Link below

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/533439-recent-cgc-pulp-purchases/?do=findComment&comment=13126730