• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stephen King movies
5 5

39 posts in this topic

I started reading King novels with the original The Stand, but the first movie adaptation I saw was Cujo.  Scared the hell out of me.

IT was a novel that scared the shiite out of me as a kid, but I never saw the first adaptation.  I enjoyed the new adaptation though.

Although a bit campy, don't forget Maximum Overdrive, Thinner, and The Mist.  Needful Things and Storm of the Century were decent popcorn movies.

On 12/19/2023 at 7:35 AM, TRMN8R5 said:

***On the flip side, I thought the mini-series for 11/22/63 was exceptional :golfclap:.    

As it happens, I'm watching this right now!  (because I got the "Hulu" for a year for $12 thing)

It's pretty good! 

Other Stephen King adaptations are so very, very hit-or-miss for me, but I felt most of the early horror movies were a miss.  Cujo? ChristineFirestarterSilver Bullet? Eh.

Sleepwalkers remains one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Along with Dreamcatcher - what an absolute mess of a film.  

Even some of the "acclaimed" ones, like The Shining I felt were kind of "meh."   Carrie, I have never seen all the way through, just in pieces, but including some of the "big" scenes.  I have also never seen The Dead Zone, except for the ending scene....

Seems like some of the not-pure-horror ones tend to adapt better, such as Shawshank, Stand by Me and The Green Mile.  

Other favorites would be:

Misery

The Outsider (HBO adaptation)

It (the recent films, not the old TV mini-series, which had it's moments, and also Tim Curry, but was still kind of bad).  

I won't call it a favorite, but the original Pet Sematary was legit scary.  I also respect The Mist, though it's way too bleak for my tastes.  

I am looking forward to watching the Mr. Mercedes adaptation (since I also got the Black Friday Peacock deal.  I am a sucker for streaming services BF deals).  

On 12/19/2023 at 9:44 AM, Axelrod said:

I am looking forward to watching the Mr. Mercedes adaptation (since I also got the Black Friday Peacock deal.  I am a sucker for streaming services BF deals).  

My wife and I were able to get all three seasons from our local library, and started watching one episode a night. Really good!!

Now she is reading Holly, as the character became so popular from this show King dedicated a book to her. I hope that turns into a show or movie.

On 12/19/2023 at 10:03 AM, Bosco685 said:

My wife and I were able to get all three seasons from our local library, and started watching one episode a night. Really good!!

Now she is reading Holly, as the character became so popular from this show King dedicated a book to her. I hope that turns into a show or movie.

You know Holly was in the Outsider as well, right?

yeah, seems like King has really gotten into this whole expanded universe thing as well, with characters crossing over more and more frequently.

Since I'm watching 11/22/63 now, I remember when I was reading it and then freaking Ritchie and Beverly from It showed up? 

Like, what?  

I assume they will not cameo in the TV show since it would make even less sense.  

It's true, Stephen King has created quite an expansive universe with his stories, and the idea of characters crossing over is intriguing. I can imagine how Ritchie and Beverly showing up on 11/22/63 would be surprising when reading the book.
As for the TV show, you're right; it might not make much sense to include them, given the different timelines and settings. But who knows, with King's penchant for surprises, anything is possible! If you're a fan of King's work, you might want to check out moview for more adaptations and hidden connections in his stories.

Edited by mra4nostop

On 12/28/2023 at 7:56 AM, mra4nostop said:

It's true, Stephen King has created quite an expansive universe with his stories, and the idea of characters crossing over is intriguing. I can imagine how Ritchie and Beverly showing up on 11/22/63 would be surprising when reading the book.

Or maybe a smackdown?

Carrie White, Annie Wilkes and Cujo vs. Charlie McGee, Jack Torrance and Church from Pet Sematary

The Shining and Pet Semetary legitimately scared me as a kid

Have to mention 1408, it was well done, not scary, but entertaining 

Sleepwalkers and Dreamcatcher are up there for suckage but have to add Secret Window in there for hot garbage. Johnny Depp cannot save this screenplay 

On 12/29/2023 at 11:16 AM, Rodey said:

Can we throw Lawnmower Man into this? I liked it as a kid, hate it as an adult.

Same here, it was cool when I was still playing Nintendo...but man those graphics don't age well.

On 12/30/2023 at 10:50 AM, paperheart said:

recently read there have been 11 movies tied around Children of the Corn; seen none but you can probably add all 11 to the terrible list

Yeah, they were all kinda corny :shiftyeyes:

I've been listening to Fairy Tale as an audio book. Comes across as a mix between Stand By Me and The Talisman of a loner youth traveling between worlds. I've been listening to it for days, and being a Stephen King story it is very detailed so I am only 28% through (Libby app keeps track).

I could see this becoming a movie in the future.