• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

reholdering question
1 1

2 posts in this topic

Hi CGC,  i found out my book got reholdered shortly after grading.  Is there inspection by a grader during the reholdering process to prevent something like this:

outer shell of a cgc graded 9.8 comic is broken but inner well still intact;  they separately break the shell of another book but this time a cgc graded 9,6 (diff book/cert).

Then they swap out the inner welled 9.8 for the inner welled 9.6 comic and submit the 9.6 for reholdering in the original 9.8 shell/lablel.  Thereby, they would effectively get what truly is a 9.6 reholdered as a 9.8??

Is there any QA during the reholdering to catch this?

thank you,

h

• Administrator

Hello @heroth,

First, I would like to confirm some information for you. When a book is sent in for a reholder service the book is removed from its outer shell and its inner well. Both must be replaced as the crack-out process can cause damage and scuffing to the inner well. Now when the book is cracked out its old label is kept with the book until a new label is printed. These labels for reholdering are printed individually and assigned to the respective books immediately. 

Now, each book when we crack the book out is reviewed by our graders as needed. If the book's grade needs to be changed this is adjusted automatically during the crack-out process. Grades are not guaranteed when books are submitted through these services. This is part of the waiver that must be signed when filling out a submission on our online form. I am sorry for the inconvenience and confusion this may cause. Rest assured if a book is sent in for a reholder service this is the book that will be returned to you. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

image.png