• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Better Late Than Never Ernie Bushmiller Thread
2 2

42 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2023 at 5:49 PM, Patriot6 said:

Interesting one guys! I've never read any of these. All cover? Or, full of genuine hilarity?

It varies significantly over time. I really like the '30s strips (which are reprinted in the books from the '30s to early '40s) which are often adventure style serials. Over the next 20 or so years, it gradually morphed into the classic 3 Rocks strips, which I also like...

I'm happy to send you a couple of readers if you'd like.

On 12/30/2023 at 7:01 PM, 143ksk said:

It varies significantly over time. I really like the '30s strips (which are reprinted in the books from the '30s to early '40s) which are often adventure style serials. Over the next 20 or so years, it gradually morphed into the classic 3 Rocks strips, which I also like...

I'm happy to send you a couple of readers if you'd like.

Cool! I think it is an interesting looking art style. I'm curious to know the evolution. Is Sparkler sort of the PEP of this bunch and then everyone branches off or?

You mean you have them photocopied? I'd love to read something new in this type of genre. 

On 12/30/2023 at 6:06 PM, 143ksk said:

Some of the earliest Bushmiller covers featuring Fritzi and Nancy

817E6708-1A5C-4E14-B22F-1FCEEE1DF856.jpeg

B1735DED-2992-4094-A83F-B7C14C001608.jpeg

70D95917-7919-4DC8-803F-764D7E636F0D.jpeg

Do you know whether those are Ernie Bushmiller covers? I ask because it seems like his signature is prominently displayed on most of his covers (and because CGC didn't list any cover artist credit). They look like his work, but his style might not be terribly hard to imitate.

On 12/30/2023 at 7:37 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Do you know whether those are Ernie Bushmiller covers? I ask because it seems like his signature is prominently displayed on most of his covers (and because CGC didn't list any cover artist credit). They look like his work, but his style might not be terribly hard to imitate.

My understanding is he did the covers until some time in the late '50s/early '60s, but I don't know for sure.

On 12/30/2023 at 6:58 PM, Patriot6 said:

Cool! I think it is an interesting looking art style. I'm curious to know the evolution. Is Sparkler sort of the PEP of this bunch and then everyone branches off or?

You mean you have them photocopied? I'd love to read something new in this type of genre. 

My plan was to send you some actual comic books...

On 12/30/2023 at 8:50 PM, 143ksk said:

My understanding is he did the covers until some time in the late '50s/early '60s, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks. I asked because I'm trying to build a "cover artist type set"—one comic with a cover by each known GA cover artist—and I don't have an Ernie Bushmiller yet. (My list of artists needed is much, much longer than my list of artists already acquired, LOL.)

On 12/31/2023 at 7:52 AM, 143ksk said:

To the best of my knowledge, we have never had a thread for Ernie and his creations.

For those not familiar, I highly recommend Bill Griffith's graphic Bushmiller biography, Three Rocks. Well worth the money and time.

Please feel free to post comic books, OA, comic strips or any other Bushmiller stuff you've got.

C5B20E2D-D7E7-4B3E-A460-5ECE2E317770_4_5005_c.jpeg

Another book I need to add to my Amazon want list. I would never have thought of looking for this one; so thanks for posting. And by one of my favorite cartoonists Bill Griffith of Zippy fame! Love it!

On 12/30/2023 at 11:23 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

For certain, one of my favorite covers of all-time. Bushmiller genius :x

The Church has moved on, but the 9.2 is still with me. 

6DF0C395-94BB-4389-B7CC-ABA1F6788AB7.jpeg

Fritzi Ritz is apparently a hot commodity. You'd better snatch this one up before someone else does, Rick. It's on sale right now, so you can save a bundle.

VINTAGE 1940 FIRST ISSUE COMIC BOOK FRITZY RITZ

Screenshot (3).png