• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's CHRONICLES OF NARNIA series directed by Greta Gerwig (TBD)

6 posts in this topic

Greta Gerwig Is ‘Properly Scared’ of Directing ‘Narnia’ Movies After ‘Barbie’

Although rumors had circulated online for several months, it wasn’t until a recent New Yorker profile that confirmation arrived regarding Greta Gerwig tackling “The Chronicles of Narnia” film adaptations for Netflix. Gerwig is reportedly attached to direct two movies based on the famous C.S. Lewis fantasy novels.

“I haven’t even really started wrapping my arms around it, but I’m properly scared of it, which feels like a good place to start,” Gerwig told the Total Film podcast (via Entertainment Weekly) about entering Narnia. “I think when I’m scared, it’s always a good sign. Maybe when I stop being scared, it’ll be like, ‘Maybe I shouldn’t do that one.’ No, I’m terrified of it. It’s extraordinary. And it’s exciting.”

“I hope to make all different kinds of movies in the course of the time I get to make movies, which — it’s a long time, but it’s also limited,” Gerwig said on the podcast about trying her hand at indies and also large-scale fantasy movies. “I want to do big things and small things and everywhere in between, and having another big canvas is exciting and also daunting.”

Problem with adapting Narnia is every book after the first one.

I give credit to the last effort which petered out after three books for giving it the old college try and making what I thought were mostly above average films.  But the story is just tough.

On 3/11/2024 at 3:20 PM, Axelrod said:

Problem with adapting Narnia is every book after the first one.

I give credit to the last effort which petered out after three books for giving it the old college try and making what I thought were mostly above average films.  But the story is just tough.

Maybe they can just skip The Horse and His Boy and The Magician's Nephew?

I'd be more than okay with books 1-4, then The Last Battle.