• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Claiming ownership of Marvels Machine Man

9 posts in this topic

Sounds similar to the way Conan gets bounced around from one publisher to another. 

Copyrights and trademarks and licensing.

It'd be good to have a complete Machine Man Omnibus including the early 2001 stories, regardless of who does it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Typically, licensing agreements stipulate that the owner of the IP retains the rights to any and all characters created for the stories generated for the IP, so it's entirely possible that WB/DC would have a case.

One notable exception to the typical agreement is the Valiant characters, due to Shooter's reationship with the owners of the original Gold Key characters.

Whatever it takes to clear the way for an oversized hc collection of Kirby's 2001 stuff, I'm in. I don't care who owns it, just gimme the book.

My understanding is that the rights to the property and the copyright on the material created under that license are distinct. IE, Warners own 2001, but that doesn't confer ownership of the adaptation or the follow-up series. Like, I think Dark Horse had to license their material to Marvel to reprint it and vice versa. 

On 1/9/2024 at 4:55 PM, rlextherobot said:

My understanding is that the rights to the property and the copyright on the material created under that license are distinct. IE, Warners own 2001, but that doesn't confer ownership of the adaptation or the follow-up series. Like, I think Dark Horse had to license their material to Marvel to reprint it and vice versa. 

That's a potential problem.  There's already a collected edition of the Machine Man series, and I wondered if the 2001 issues would be kept as a separate and very thin volume.