• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

newbie question about pulp storage
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Just a quick question: How does everyone store your pulps? The few that I own vary in size and thickness, so I am guessing there is no standard pulp bag? The first pictured is rather large, like a magazine. The second is considerably smaller and thicker.

I would really love to display them, but a few wouldn't really stand up well. (Looking forward to the introduction of CGC slabs...)

IMG_7178.jpeg

IMG_7190.jpeg

Edited by Fukuoka
clarity

Pulps come in all shapes and sizes, so I use all sorts of different bags and boards for them.  

They look best in a snug bag or mylar, but a tight bag also can mean loosing overhang chips or biting at spine tears and such on the way in and out (shrug)

A tight fit is best for display but a loose fit is best for a reader.  Multiple boards or a thicker sort of matte backer can keep even the biggest pulps stiff enough for display.

Edited by Darwination

Appreciate your posting this question.  I recently picked up some "bedsheet" size pulps (which is what I think you're referring to as "magazine" size) at a local estate sale.  They are 8.5 inches x 11.5 inches :jawdrop:.  Obviously much too large for even Magazine Bags.  I haven't tried this, but I think they might fit in the bags CGC slabs are sent with.  I'd much rather use bags/boards that are properly sized exactly for the purpose, but I don't believe anyone makes them.  I would also note bag/board is only half the battle - would love to have a proper storage box as well!

AS Pulps - Bedsheets.jpg

Edited by MattTheDuck

Thanks for that. I was thinking of using those as well. Just was wondering if there are any custom-sized bags for these kind of books.

BTW, the books you posted are so nice! Mine are all pretty cool IMO but most have condition issues, such as this one:

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 16.16.00.png

On 1/8/2024 at 1:51 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Appreciate your posting this question.  I recently picked up some "bedsheet" size pulps (which is what I think you're referring to as "magazine" size) at a local estate sale.  They are 8.5 inches x 11.5 inches :jawdrop:.  Obviously much too large for even Magazine Bags.  I haven't tried this, but I think they might fit in the bags CGC slabs are sent with.  I'd much rather use bags/boards that are properly sized exactly for the purpose, but I don't believe anyone makes them.  

I haven't ordered them for a long time since I still have a supply, but I assume Gerber still carries them... they make something they call a "Playboy Magazine" size, 2mil mylar.  It's designed for those thick issues from the mid-60s.  They are 10" x 13" (excluding flap), and at least used to be marketed as 1013M2.  They come in handy for a variety of oversize products.

Yeah, I've got a few different sizes bigger than magazine I use for different things.  The comment about magazine boxes is apt, because certain magazines will stick up above a magazine box without that being very perceptible and weight on top can harm the magazines.  Storage for slicks and other oversized magazines and newspapers, etc. is tricky, but I find storing them standing up with a backer in a tall cardboard box works pretty well. 

I'm still amazed they say the bedsheets are gonna fit into the magazine CGC boxes (shrug)

"Appreciate your posting this question.  I recently picked up some "bedsheet" size pulps (which is what I think you're referring to as "magazine" size) at a local estate sale.  They are 8.5 inches x 11.5 inches :jawdrop:.  Obviously much too large for even Magazine Bags.  I haven't tried this, but I think they might fit in the bags CGC slabs are sent with.  I'd much rather use bags/boards that are properly sized exactly for the purpose, but I don't believe anyone makes them.  I would also note bag/board is only half the battle - would love to have a proper storage box as well!"

If you search outside of the comic book bags, 9 and 9 1/2 inch wide bags are out here. Magazine-sized backing boards are easy to find.
My bedsheets fit perfectly well in a magazine box.