• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lucasfilm's THE MANDALORIAN Movie directed by Jon Favreau (2026)

17 posts in this topic

The Mandalorian & Grogu Movie Being Directed by Jon Favreau

As fans have been waiting for updates on an assumed Season 4 of The Mandalorian, StarWars.com confirmed today that Din Djarin and Grogu are making the leap to the big screen, with The Mandalorian & Grogu set to head into production later this year. The new film is set to be directed by The Mandalorian creator Jon Favreau and will be produced by Favreau, Kathleen Kennedy, and Dave Filoni. This new project is separate from the announced film that is coming from Filoni that is set to be a crossover between various series set during The New Republic, as Lucasfilm detailed how that project was part of a similar slate of big-screen experiences.

"I have loved telling stories set in the rich world that George Lucas created," Favreau shared in a statement. "The prospect of bringing the Mandalorian and his apprentice Grogu to the big screen is extremely exciting."

"Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni have ushered into Star Wars two new and beloved characters, and this new story is a perfect fit for the big screen," Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, added.

Lucasfilm also confirmed that there were still films on the way from Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, James Mangold, and Dave Filoni, though omitted any update about Taika Waititi's film, which has been in the works for years. Waititi's film was also absent from Star Wars Celebration, so while some fans will speculate that this project has been delayed indefinitely, Waititi himself has offered multiple updates expressing that it's a time-consuming process to deliver a story for the galaxy far, far away.

Edited by Bosco685

According to a very reliable Star Wars insider, The Mandalorian and Grogu movie and Dave Filoni’s untitled Mandalorian crossover event film, are part of a planned trilogy.

Before we continue with news of the day, I’d just like to share that you can support my work in two ways for which I’d be extremely grateful. Firstly it’s via my Patreon page which has a two tier’s at this time – one to simply to support my work and a second which features ad-free articles. Secondly you can tip me with a simple one off payment on my Ko-Fi page or you can choose to support my work monthly on the platform. I’d truly appreciate it if you decided to support my work, but no pressure, I know things are pretty tough out here. Anyway, back to the reason you came here – the news!

Yesterday was a big news day for Star Wars fans, as Lucasfilm officially announced a new movie, The Mandalorian and Grogu, which would see our heroes from The Mandalorian TV series, Din Djarin and Grogu, venture onto the big screen. The film is set to be directed by The Mandalorian creator, Jon Favreau, and production is slated to begin later this year.

No additional details were shared regarding The Mandalorian and Grogu, not even if it was a retooling of the planned and previously announced fourth season of The Mandalorian, which was originally planned to begin filming in late September 2023, but was delayed into this year due to the Writers Guild of America and SAG-AFTRA strikes. Deadline in their coverage of the movie announcement claimed that the fourth season of The Mandalorian is also being developed in additional to The Mandalorian and Grogu. No other outlets shared this tidbit, and my belief is that the film is a retooling of the originally planned fourth season.

On 1/10/2024 at 1:29 PM, Bosco685 said:

Now, will Boba Fett appear in this film?

Let's hope not.  I do not even know where they intend to take this film.  I am sure Favreau has some good ideas, but S3 had sort of reached an endpoint.  

On 1/10/2024 at 6:18 PM, drotto said:

Let's hope not.  I do not even know where they intend to take this film.  I am sure Favreau has some good ideas, but S3 had sort of reached an endpoint.  

I have a feeling the trilogy is going to bridge to the sequel trilogy, which will possibly lay some believable and redeeming groundwork for a Rey movie(s). If those have been pushed back, then I think this is why.

There is a really good story to tell, which honestly should have been told the first time around in The Force Awakens. I think Favreau and Filoni can deliver a good story and box office returns, which is what Disney needs right now. 

On 1/10/2024 at 6:57 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I have a feeling the trilogy is going to bridge to the sequel trilogy, which will possibly lay some believable and redeeming groundwork for a Rey movie(s). If those have been pushed back, then I think this is why.

There is a really good story to tell, which honestly should have been told the first time around in The Force Awakens. I think Favreau and Filoni can deliver a good story and box office returns, which is what Disney needs right now. 

I think Filoni, Kennedy, and Disney just need to leave Favreau alone to do his thing, with limited interference. When the Mandolarian went down hill in S3 is when the show no longer felt like Favreau product, and was ruined by corporate interference. Ashoka was supposed to be Filoni's big thing, and for me it was bland at best, and a complete bastardization of the Zahn trilogy at worse.

I was a big Filoni fan after the Clone Wars, but I think his talents have not translated to live action well.

Yes, I think part of this is as they are trying to write Rey, they have found the pieces they need are not all in place.  This is needed to fill the gaps. Then again the MCU has just proven that starting something as a streaming idea and then attempting to move it to a movie presents it's own issues.

One of the greatest scenes in the history of Star Wars. I was smiling wide and laughing the entire time, almost to the point of tearing up. Felt like I was 5 years old again. It was powerful. :smile:

Edited by Chip Cataldo

Star Wars: The Mandalorian & Grogu Movie Receives Filming Start Date

According to a new listing on the Film & Television Industry Alliance's production tracking service (via ComicBook.com), The Mandalorian & Grogu will begin shooting in Los Angeles on June 17, 2024.

The Mandalorian And Grogu Will Land In 2026, Kicking Off A New Wave Of Star Wars Movies

During an earnings call today, Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed that 2026 would likely see the release of "The Mandalorian and Grogu," kicking off the next generation of "Star Wars" movies. This should come as no surprise since the initial announcement for the film said it would "lead Lucasfilm's ongoing feature-development slate."

As for the specific release date, there are currently two options on the table: May 22, 2026 and December 18, 2026. Both dates have been staked out by Disney for "Star Wars" projects, but Lucasfilm has yet to determine how the upcoming slate of "Star Wars" movies will fit into those dates. It's also entirely possible that Disney could end up shifting their release date calendar to accommodate their production scheduled.

It’s going to take a live action version of “Moana” a little longer to swim to shore than Disney first expected. The film, originally slated to open in 2025, has been pushed back to July 10, 2026.

That news came as part of a deluge of Disney release date announcements and shifting debuts. The studio revealed that its upcoming “Star Wars” movie, “The Mandalorian & Grogu” as well as “Toy Story 5” will hit theaters in 2026, giving Disney a formidable collection of potential blockbusters.

“The Mandalorian & Grogu,” a cinematic spinoff of the hit Disney+ series “The Mandalorian” will open May 22, 2026, while “Toy Story 5” will debut June 19, 2026. It signals that Disney is getting serious about reinvigorating its big-screen “Star Wars” franchise after mostly focusing on streaming shows like “The Book of Boba Fett” and “Obi-Wan Kenobi.” Its last major film release was 2019’s “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” which was a box office success but a critical disappointment. Since then, LucasFilm, which runs “Star Wars,” has announced the development of various projects and enlisted the likes of “Wonder Woman” director Patty Jenkins and Marvel head Kevin Feige. Most of these have so far failed to make it to the screen and withered in development purgatory. “The Mandalorian & Grogu” is assuming a release date that had been previously given to an untitled “Star Wars” film from “Thor: Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi. No word on when the busy Waititi will make that trip to a galaxy far, far away.

They brought Ventress back from the “dead” for a single Bad Batch episode where we didn’t learn anything about what she’d been up to. I wonder if she’d be playing the live-action version of Ventress.